UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Heads off

Old 29-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #16
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
It doesn't matter what the bore finish is. It would be more significant to distinguish between air or liquid cooling… Don't know if that was covered in the article as I only speed read it, due to it being quite verbose!
Old 30-12-2018, 08:31 AM   #17
Darkness

Bike: M900
The heads are looking good Andy.
Are you going to refinish the outside of the barrels too: are you keeping them black?
Old 31-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #18
Andy B

Yep, ordered some pj1 satin black engine paint for the barrels.. Just need to find my masking tape now...
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #19
Andy B

Finally got my bits all cleaned and media free... Heads are back together, valve clearances are spot on, barrels are back to black and new correct rings have arrived....

So will make sure the ring gaps are good next - one question I did have if anyone could advise - do I hone my cylinders? googleing brings up a lot of mixed opinions with honeing nikasil bores with some saying lightly, some saying never, and some saying just de-glaze with some scotchbrite pad.....

Can anyone shed any light?
Old 24-02-2019, 05:46 PM   #20
Andy B

So this past week has been half term (i've been in a teaching job for the last 18 months so just getting used to all these lovely holidays) and I've managed to make it very productive!

Yamaha and Suzuki MOT'd, Guzzi fired up ready for taxing on friday, and most importantly - Got a shed load done on the monster...

New rings were all within specification happy days...

rings and pistons installed smoothly without hiccups..

Found my new 'least favourite' job! I did not like that gudgeon pin clip one bit! What a pain in the butt!

Shell'ed out for the most expensive nuts I think i've EVER bought!

All coming together pretty smoothly though..

Buggered if im buying another special tool for the head nuts though, So i made on instead...

Worked like a charm!

Old 24-02-2019, 05:49 PM   #21
Andy B

Nice new gaskets for everything, and went back together nicely... couldn't bring myself to re-use the old belts... they were probably fine, but for peace of mind, new belts thrown in to the mix as well..

looking lovely and clean! One or two small bits to sort but pretty much there now... and most importantly - Started and idled lovely!

Had to let annabel have first ride up and down though... Have to keep reminding myself its her bike...

But for some reason - my camera decided it didn't like annabel taking the glory and blurred her out!

But - All sorted and ready for taxing on friday! Can't wait to see how much better it runs....

Last edited by Andy B; 24-02-2019 at 06:25 PM..
Old 24-02-2019, 07:46 PM   #22
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post

Congratulations on the reassembly! Looking good.

I especially like your ingenious home-made headnut spanner
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #23
Darkness

I especially like the red swingarm plates.
Old 25-02-2019, 03:08 AM   #24
Moco1961

Good job Andy, fingers crossed for good weather Sunday and a run out to the lockgate eh?
Old 25-02-2019, 08:07 AM   #25
Andy B

Cheers guys... I'm just hopeful it stays looking positive and doesn't throw any curve balls.... must remember to re torque the head after a bit of a run in....

im particularly cautious about the oil.... the amount of media that came out after vapour blasting was insane... I hope to god i managed to get it all out - water was nice and clear by the end of cleaning mind but can't help but worry a little... think i'll get some cheap oil and give it an extra flush through before a proper oil change....

Will try and get a shake down run done on saturday.... If all goes well, and weather plays ball i'll see you at the lockgate Mike - Monster and all
Old 25-02-2019, 10:40 AM   #26
Dukedesmo

Nice one, I'm currently at the stage of being ready to reassemble mine after having the bores re-plated due to excessive wear but am stopped in a dilemma over the rings.

I've had the bores plated twice and both times they have worn in short order. I assumed that the plating was defective in some way (and maybe it was?) so I've had them re-done for the third time!

I'm itching to put it all back together but finding conflicting info on whether chrome rings maybe the cause of the wear?

If so then it's not as easy as you think to find non-chrome rings...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote