UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Another New member Looking for Monster

Old 10-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #1
wheatley473

Another New member Looking for Monster

Hi

I'm from Devon and also looking for a Ducati Monster,.

I've seen a few 1100s' around one at c£6300 in Exeter at a dealers with lots of goodies on, white with 9,300 miles and a few others c£6k.

What sort of price is realistic these days and what should I look out for?

I've just seen on here that there's and issues with ethanol content distorting the plastic tanks... is that common, Ive not heard of that issue. Does it also affect the 796's?

Also, when they were still in production it was possible to buy alternative tank/seat cowl/belly pans etc, so you could change the bike to the colour/design you wished.

Are they still available? As I'd prefer red so could alter the white bike in Exeter....

Any help gratefully received.

Nick
Old 10-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Bike: M1100s
I think that for that price you could probably get one with a few less miles but if the one that's local to you is in really top condition have a haggle on the price because at this time of year it's a buyers market.

Onto the ethonal causing problems, the 696/796 and 1100 monsters all have plastic tanks but they're hidden behind panels so it's not as big a problem as the S2r/S4r models where the damage to the tank/paint can be seen.
I've seen a lot of monsters in the past few years but not that many with damaged tanks so have a real good inspection of the bike or bikes, try to arrange a test ride and then make your decision.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Welcome, Nick

You've certainly come to the right place for advice!

Decent 1100s seem to be going for anything from mid £5ks to low £6ks. Have a look at this recent thread from Mick in Somerset, which you might find helpful.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...d.php?p=556342

Don't let the ethanol issue put you off. This thread will give you more information http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=54542

Normally, I'd advise using just Esso Super Unleaded but Devon is one of the few places where it contains ethanol. If you're filling up reasonably frequently, (say at least every eight weeks), you shouldn't have a problem as the ethanol should remain in suspension within the petrol. If you leave it any longer - and certainly if you lay the bike up over winter - you should either drain the tank or add a fuel stabilizer specifically formulated for ethanol fuel.

If the tank has swollen marginally, it should be possible to restore its shape by draining it and letting it dry out completely after which it should shrink back. The actual tank is a very irregular shape and the first you would know about it swelling would be if you lifted it, (say to get to the battery), and then had trouble lining up the mounting holes during replacement.

It's not such an obvious issue with the 696/796/1100 series as it is for, say, the S2R/S4R simply because the tank is covered by the separate skins, which effectively hide what's going on beneath, and keep the paintwork safe from damage.

As for the custom tank skins themselves, they aren't manufactured anymore but sets do come up on eBay every so often and buzzbomb told me recently that the outlet store at the factory still have some designs available. (The standard colours are still available as spares from your dealer - at a price!).

Happy hunting!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #4
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
PS

Have a look at Rick's new post - http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...433#post559433

He's selling a Ducati Corse body kit (the red, white and black one - first bike in the line up).

Very nice! You could buy that now as an incentive to get the actual bike!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:57 PM   #5
wheatley473

Hi Buzzbomb

Thanks for the advise. I'll have a good look at the one in Exeter as a starter for 10. I've also just heard of one in Alton Hampshire for £5999 with c8k on the clock.

Nick
Old 10-09-2018, 06:04 PM   #6
wheatley473

Hi Luddite

Thanks for the two posts they're very helpful. I'll have a read of the links and form what you and Buzzbomb say the ethanol issue is not as bad as I was beginning to think. Trust Devon to have a high Ethanol content in our fuel. Oddly I heard on framing to day this morning they aren't going to increase it... until today I knew nothing about it!

That's a great picture to..

Nick
Old 11-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Welcome to the forum Nick, good luck with your search. I don't know where the cut off for ethanol is down your way, it might be further down towards Cornwall, give Esso a call and ask. I opted for a 1200 in the end (steel tank) as the ethanol has knackered my Triumph and MZ tank, even drying them out over winter has not brought them totally back to shape but they are both still in use and are fuel tight. As the 1100's have an extra outer skin you might not even notice and if you can get ethanol free in your area they wont get any worse.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:32 AM   #8
Mossleymonster

Bike: M1100s
I'd buy this one at £5750 all day long. http://ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=56879

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: