UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New member - looking for a Monster?

Old 12-07-2018, 08:47 PM   #1
johnc

New member - looking for a Monster?

Hi all, new member from Northern Ireland. I was late to bikes (I'm now 54) and this is my 19th season. Done the 4cyl sportsbike thing (Great) most of that time but for the past 7 years I've owned a TDM900 and last Sept I bought a naked 04 SV1000, so my current bikes are both twins.

Something makes me want to own a Ducati Monster, initial thoughts were a version of the 1200. Some more thinking about it and I reckon an 1100/S/Evo would be more suitable, I'll start a thread in another forum, I know little about the bikes and have so many questions.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:04 PM   #2
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc View Post
Hi all, new member from Northern Ireland. I was late to bikes (I'm now 54) and this is my 19th season. Done the 4cyl sportsbike thing (Great) most of that time but for the past 7 years I've owned a TDM900 and last Sept I bought a naked 04 SV1000, so my current bikes are both twins.

Something makes me want to own a Ducati Monster, initial thoughts were a version of the 1200. Some more thinking about it and I reckon an 1100/S/Evo would be more suitable, I'll start a thread in another forum, I know little about the bikes and have so many questions.
Hello and welcome John.

There are people here who really rate the 1200s, R and S.

The 1100s also have their devotees with dispute whether the Evo gives sufficient advantages to warrant the price difference.

The water cooled 90s bikes also have their merits: an S4RS is mental.

I’m biased towards the ‘93 M900s myself, but it’s the variety of Monsters (And their users) that makes UKMOC so much fun.

I shall be pleased to see where you go with this. Photo’s are good!
Old 13-07-2018, 09:43 AM   #3
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Welcome to the forum johnc, I was initially looking for an 1100 but they have plastic tanks which is easily deformed by the ethanol in petrol. As I have two bikes with plastic tanks that are deformed I opted to go for a bike with a steel tank which lead me to a 1200s. Ethanol content is currently 5% in the UK but that is set to go up to 10% in the near future. Good luck with your search.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:02 PM   #4
johnc

Thanks for the advice guys, I've taken it on board.

The 1200s performance ways look great but I'm finding the prices a bit (A lot) hard to justify.

1100/S/EVO. Around the time i made my original post there was a nice low mileage S for sale locally. The timing wasn't perfect and when I googled the plastic fuel tank issues mentioned above it put me right off tbh. Currently there is a nice standard & low mileage 1100 EVO for sale. Is the plastic tank on an EVO of the variety that distorts or was that issue resolved before the EVO?

The air cooled 2V simplicity appeals to me, I think I'd be capable of doing a lot of the maintenance work myself. Would anyone know how the engine performance of an EVO would compare to my SV1000? Its about 18 horses down.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
mickj

Bike: M1200s
I believe the evo still has the plastic tank.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:20 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The 1100 and EVO are a bit down on performance compared to the Suzuki and are probably about on the limit for 2V motor, so you probably won't be able to get much more power out of them without spending ££££'s. To get that level 100+ you need a 916 or 996 engine 4 valve S4/S4R Monster either of those would eat the SV for lunch.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 07:21 AM   #7
johnc

Still pondering which if any Monster to purchase.

Last evening I took a run to a local BMW dealership who have a 2018 standard M1200 with Termis and quick shifter (Red, 575 miles £9999) I think the bike is well priced at that? Only went for a look but the very pleasant sales bod had me talking trade in price for my SV. He started it in the showroom and maybe it was partly to do with being inside but wow, what a noise!

At first glance its a very good looking bike, but when I look closer I'm not sure about the plastic covers on the engine and water/oil rads on the front are a bit afterthought looking.

Still torn between wanting a 1200 with arm pulling silly performance and a better looking bike (In my eyes) like the 1100, but I'm concerned that after the SV an 1100 will feel under powered.

Much to think about ....
Old 28-09-2018, 08:43 AM   #8
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Looking at real world power outputs and not the manufacturers at the crank numbers then the SV / S and Evo's are closer than you think with a 'good' SV having maybe 6 bhp more. The torque is about the same with the S EVO having a tiny edge (1-2 ft/lbs) which you probably won't notice.

So it comes down to
Delivery, the L twin configuration is good. Remember the R series motors were made with that 'cross plane crank' so they would mimic dicati's power output at the wheel.
Pretty, which looks better. When there isn't much in the delivery it really is either brand loyalty or what looks good, and if the bike looks good it rubs off on you.

Monsters have always been a base, you get it then swap out the bits you don't like until you end up with the bike you want.
At the end of the day it's going to be what catches your eye and gives you that little tickle in your gut and mind.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: