UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Chains , Sprockets

Old 05-07-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
CarloL

Bike: M900
Chains , Sprockets

I did have a search

In terms of Chain longevity , sprocket .... at what point do you replace these? Time/Mileage interval? Based on Condition?

Looking online, OE Ducati kit only appears to be an option? what is recommended?
CarloL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:42 PM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I wouldn't go with OE Ducati. DID X ring every time and cheaper elsewhere. Sprockets Renthal or Talon are both good.

If you can pull the chain off the sprocket at the rearmost mid point, the o-rings are cracked/missing or the adjusters are at max then time for a new one.

I seem to be able to get mega mileage from mine and I can't remember when I last had to adjust on the S4 or 748, maybe a couple of times in 7000 odd miles (so less than once a year in my case) both are DID X ring ones iirc. I clean and oil them between 500-1000 miles or If they look like they need it.

I don't use off the shelf chain lube that may or may not contain whale sperm (I kid you not the PJ1 stuff I had a such a warning) or anything as its genrally too sticky, dust and grit sticks to it and just aggravates the chain wear.

I find its better to clean when the chain is still warm if possible with paraffin and then apply a small amount Scott Oil to each link/o-ring. Its good stuff but using an automatic oiler with it just tends to end up with too much getting everywhere except where you need it.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:09 PM   #3
CarloL

Thanks Darren , Great Info!
Old 05-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Give it a good clean with degreaser/paraffin and a chain cleaning brush, rinse with paraffin not water and leave it to dry and then have a close look at the O-rings on each link to make sure they're not cracked, split or missing.

Providing you can't pull the links away from the sprocket and its not hooked the sprocket (clicks when you wheel it backwards) you should be ok for a while.

Its probably a good idea to budget for replacement chain and sprockets sometime soon in any case since most peoples idea of chain maintenance is to smother it with chain lube and over tighten it!

Old 05-07-2017, 06:51 PM   #5
CarloL

mine is smother with chain lube
Old 05-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
A question for you, Darren ... do you get any fling at all with your brush-applied scottoil ?
I used to run the most basic scottoilers on both my bikes, but although I could cope with the nuisance fling, I changed my opinion after fitting carbon wheels to the monster.
I now use S.Doc, which seems decent but does act a bit like a dust magnet.
But I do have loads of scottoil still, and you've got me pondering a change of plan and adopting your system.
I reckon the merest smear is all you need anyway, so perhaps that avoids the fling ?

With the scottoiler, I used to adjust the chain once in a blue moon, whereas without it I'm adjusting every couple of thousand, or less.
Mind you, I've changed from Renthal to Talon ally rear sprockets ... and tbh I prefer the Renthals. I think they might wear less than the Talon.

For front sprockets, Afam often offer something significantly lighter than much of the competition. I fancy that Renthal probably do as well.
I've seen some from other manufacturers that are crudely machined and not drilled, and these weigh a surprising amount more.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:22 PM   #7
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Yes a bit of fling but it soon stops, I've white wheels so I know when. You always tend to get a bit of fling after oiling anyway but with my method it does stop after a short while and wipes off. I just apply enough to wet the o-rings and nothing more.

Just enough to wet the O-rings nothing more, is all that's needed.

I found with the scotoiler it was ok but it was just too much oil than was necessary and it just makes a mess.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:48 PM   #8
slob

parafin or petrol will creep under x/o/z-rings and wash out grease

1. spray wd40* on a rag, clean chain,
2. spray a LITTLE brake cleaner on another rag and wipe off wd40 residue, as that will prevent chain lube/wax adhering.
3. lube or wax chain with your prefered product

you can skip step 1 if you use a dry lube

* other penetrating sprays are available

I've found B&C Express to be very helpful and efficient

Last edited by slob; 05-07-2017 at 08:51 PM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:55 PM   #9
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Jeff, why not put some Scottoil in one of those trigger spray bottle thingies.. Can't think of the name.!! You know for spraying plants?
I have a few of them for clutch and brake cleaner and various stuff. Cheaper than aerosols.

I would recommend the standard Ducati front sprocket. Not sure how it compares price wise to the Renthal one, but it's 24 grams lighter and much better made.
Renthal also list a kit for the 2000-2001 M900ie but do not make the special sprocket that those years require. In other words they are selling a kit with the WRONG sprocket... I think that's a bit naughty!

Renthal alloy rears are good though, even if they do come in a sort of cak brown now instead of Silver... I sprayed the last one.

I recommend NOT buying a Tsubaki chain. Mine has been transformed since I fitted a D.I.D.

WD40 special chain lube works for me, but NOT the WD40 chain Wax.
Links and sprockets still moist from a squirt after 1154 miles recently, including about 90 hard miles in hissing rain.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 05-07-2017 at 10:04 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:09 PM   #10
Flip

WD40 and Petroleum or solvent based liquids with play havoc with the X or O rings and cause them to swell and eventually break up.

Parafin (or Kerosene if you speak Am-er-ri-can) is oil based and therefore won't harm them.

I favour using a rag soaked in some to wipe the crud away and then re-lube after.

Regina Chains have this to say:

http://www.reginachain.it/eng/use_an...how_to03.shtml

And Sprockets Unlimited say this:

http://www.sprocketsunlimited.com/Chainmaintenance.html

As for what I am running on the Monster a D.I.D. VX X-ring chain coupled with Afam sprockets front and rear (gone up two teeth on the rear though).

Bought from the lovely people at Bike Torque Racing through their ebay store who were happy to up the teeth on the rear at no extra charge and who I have dealt with for many years now and offer a great service.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-900...item1ec9829291
Old 05-07-2017, 11:36 PM   #11
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I use paraffin for cleaning the chain, but only very sparingly .. as follows.
I have a half inch paintbrush with the bristles cut to half their length, which stiffens them.
I moisten it with paraffin, blot off the excess on a kitchen towel, then clean a small section with that.
Its basically, just enough to soften the chain lube/gunge combo.
Wipe with rag, etc.

I use a DID x-ring chain with a rivet link.
I have lately found myself considering running two chains, swapping them around for cleaning and re-lubing every now and then.
Trouble is, that is only a simple job if I use a split link to join the chain .. and I don't like those on o/x-ring chains.
So I find myself considering running two non o-ring chains and a split link.
A motocross chain, perhaps.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #12
CarloL

1997 M900

How would I know the chain Pitch ? 520, 525, 530? Is the pitch any correlation to the chain length?
Find out other than counting , the number of teeth on the front & Rear sprocket

Will any after market sprocket work once the Teeth are correct, do you need a certain PCD?
Was recommended Supersprox

Sorry completely new to this :P
Old 06-07-2017, 10:32 AM   #13
slob

I believe 525 chain, 100 links. 15/39 tooth sprockets.
Any supplier should be able to confirm correct fitment on the phone.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:04 AM   #14
Dukedesmo

M900 uses 520 chain. I looked into using a 525 as mine has munched up sprockets (Monster Munch!) but couldn't find a 525 rear sprocket to fit. Fronts are available as the same type (in 525) are used on 916/996.

I originally used a Renthal, hard anodised alloy rear but got through 2 in 2 years (maybe 2-2,500 miles each) so I swapped to a supersprox which is supposed to be the dog's danglies but even that was finished after less than 5,000 miles.

I have just replaced the whole set again (JT front, DiD 'x' ring chain, Supersprox rear) so I'll see how it goes this time...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:23 PM   #15
Dukedesmo

And standard chain length for 15/39 is 98 links, you can fit 100 but the wheel will need to be fully back in the swingarm to get the tension and, on mine at least this meant the hugger was then too close to the tyre at the rear.

I found this out because I originally had 15/41 which needed a longer chain but then decided 15/39 suited me better and I ran with the longer chain for a while.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote