UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Project - Not Monster

Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #46
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Bike: M900
Cool

Quote:
You spent that much??? You feeling alright...
What are you trying to say??

Yorkie
Old 03-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #47
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg1230 View Post
Some more pics here. If I only had the space, time and talent to make something like this.
I really like that red one
Old 04-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #48
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Cool

Tonight.

Carbs on and linked:

Rear and one front calliper fitted:

Picture of the adjustable cam wheels and belts fitted:

Old 06-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #49
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Cool

Tonight was a good night:

Airbox cut down and fitted:

Decided on the headlight for the project, to save time and effort:

My Monsters old one, I just need to source the chrome ring that holds the headlight together!

And mocked up some milled intake trumpets:

These are available for sale and fit over the Ducati i.e intakes, I am getting some made to fit the carbed ones - 60mm. If they work and look good I will get some for the Monster as well.

I also rigged up the front brake lines, so the just need filling and bleeding.

Yorkie
Old 07-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #50
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
She's coming on now, and all very neat and tidy too.

I'm liking the headlamp. I think the only shape for a motorcycle headlamp is round, and the bigger the better.
I never liked the square light on my 750SS, it wasn't a very good beam either...Like a glow worm..! I hated the switch gear too. I once switched the lights off when I went for the dipswitch.......Never rode it in the dark after that.

This project has really inspired me, I am actively looking for another 750SS to try out all my ideas on....Keep the pictures coming.
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #51
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I agree, it's coming together nicely. The only criticism I would have on the SS frame vs the monster frame is the rear suspension is much better on the monster and adjustable too. Having owned 2 ss's the rear always felt better with somebody on the pillion and its a bit crude sometimes, but from what I gather they went back to the cantilever system on the later monsters too. Oh and Gary and I know where you can get seat for an SS too!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #52
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Yes the rear end of my SS used to skip about a bit sometimes, but I assumed that it was because the riders weight is quite forward on the SS. The Monster is of course far more comforable (and stable) and I believe that the weight distribution is a lot to do with this. (better rear suspension notwithstanding).

I reckon that an SS with a old fasioned straight dual seat and some straight 'bars would put the weight in a better place, whilst comfying it up at the same time... a sort of better mousetrap really i suppose, as the Monster does it all already but the idea has a lot of appeal to me.

Assuming you were refering to your buddies Monster seat that turned out to be an SS seat..? Poor chap.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:05 AM   #53
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
Airbox cut down and fitted
Are you planning on running the standard CV Carbs with Bellmouths and without an Airbox?
Old 08-11-2013, 04:47 AM   #54
jerry
Old Git

me likey too mutch,,, great project have fun 750ss are lovely bikes to start with ,,,
Old 08-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #55
DrD

Looking good.
To be be really picky it would be better with brand new caliper mount bolts and caliper bolts (cheapish from Ducati Leeds) to go with the shiny front end
Old 08-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #56
Gilps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD View Post
Looking good.
To be be really picky it would be better with brand new caliper mount bolts and caliper bolts (cheapish from Ducati Leeds) to go with the shiny front end
I agree. I refreshed mine on my 900SS rebuild and they were much worse than yours to start with. I bought bolts from a guy on ebay that does Brembo kits. I think they were only about a fiver for the lot. I split the callipers carefully and managed to reuse the seals with no problems. I used a product called Wonder Wheels to get the billet ally cleaned up. It's amazing stuff but go real careful with it if you decide to use it. Don't get it on anything other than the thing you are trying to clean as it will mess up steel and anything else it touches. Do it in a sink near running water to rinse it off quick.

My callipers look like new now.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #57
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilps View Post
I agree. I refreshed mine on my 900SS rebuild and they were much worse than yours to start with. I bought bolts from a guy on ebay that does Brembo kits. I think they were only about a fiver for the lot. I split the callipers carefully and managed to reuse the seals with no problems. I used a product called Wonder Wheels to get the billet ally cleaned up. It's amazing stuff but go real careful with it if you decide to use it. Don't get it on anything other than the thing you are trying to clean as it will mess up steel and anything else it touches. Do it in a sink near running water to rinse it off quick.

My callipers look like new now.
Nice looking 900SS, early one too, mine had white frame and black wheels though. easier to keep looking clean.

You don't even need to split the calipers I did mine one at a time. Probably got them from the same guy on ebay. I'm not sure about Wonderwheels it's very aggressive and contains a strong (hydrochloric) acid and will burn through most things including skin. I think they do a non acid version too now, but I always brake/clutch cleaner gets most brake calipers nice and clean with the risk of permanent personal injury.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #58
Gilps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Nice looking 900SS, early one too, mine had white frame and black wheels though. easier to keep looking clean.

You don't even need to split the calipers I did mine one at a time. Probably got them from the same guy on ebay. I'm not sure about Wonderwheels it's very aggressive and contains a strong (hydrochloric) acid and will burn through most things including skin. I think they do a non acid version too now, but I always brake/clutch cleaner gets most brake calipers nice and clean with the risk of permanent personal injury.
White frame with black wheels was the 92 model. Very nice but I really wanted the first edition.

Woderwheels is very aggressive, but used properly it is great stuff. I did mine in the sink, wearing thick rubber gloves. The trick is to use the brush supplied and work it in to a bubbly lather on the item being cleaned. As soon as it bubbles then rinse it off quick under cold running water. I used it on my fork bottoms too and where I didn't manage to mask off the chrome above it well enough, it seeped in there and made a mess. It took ages of polishing to get the chrome looking good again.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #59
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I'd probably wear goggles too, I've seen what hydroflouric and hydrochloric acid can do, hydroflouric is particulaly nasty as it destroys nerve tissue and so you can get a burn and not notice until some time after when your skin starts dropping off.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #60
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Just out of interest...As it is mildly relevant.

There is a high temprature caliper paint available in "Bremo" Gold

http://www.vgautopaints.com.au/caliperpaint.html

VHT paints are available in the UK via John Woolfe Racing. Bedford. 01234 220700

P.S....Nice 900SS there Gilps.