UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Yoke bolts

Old 10-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #1
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
Yoke bolts

Can someone recommend me a supplier for some? And maybe some pinch bolts as well.

While removing the forks today, the last one decided it didn't want to play ball resulting in squeaky bum time as I hammered an oversize star drive into the rounded hole while the bike with only 1 fork leg was perched on an Abba stand with an axle stand under the front cylinder... I had loosened them all off yesterday but today, nah...
Old 10-02-2019, 10:35 PM   #2
stopintime

Bike: S2r
Any reason why a dealer isn't good enough?

More bling? Probolt!
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:09 PM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
I'd avoid any generic Chinese eBay offerings - they may be fine for bodywork or low stress applications but you wouldn't want to rely on them in safety critical areas like yokes or engine casings.

You need to check that the tensile strength of your replacements is at least on a par with the originals. I don't know what the rating of the standard bolts is as there were no markings on the heads of mine but, for reference, Probolt say their caliper bolts are rated at 570MPa.

I use these people https://www.kayfast.co.uk who also have an eBay store http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/Kays-Fasteners.

They're British, cheap, you can buy individual screws and postage is very reasonable. Highly recommended.

The zinc plated screws in the picture are probably closest to the standard finish and, with a high tensile strength of 1200+ Mpa, are well up to the job. The A2 stainless screws would also be fine - while it doesn't show the tensile strength on the website, they are stamped A2-70 and the 70 indicates 700MPa.

I fitted the black high tensile bolts in my forks. They aren't coated or stainless but, with moly grease on the threads and heads dipped in ACF50, I've not had any corrosion problems.

Many bolts have a code stamped on the head telling you the tensile strength - this chart will help you decipher them.

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote