UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » 696 with no key card

Old 01-02-2019, 05:03 PM   #1
Yanbo

696 with no key card

Hi all,

I have just purchased a 2012 M696+ and it has come without a key card. Being new to all of this I didn’t notice until I was home and read the handbook. I understand that this model doesn’t have a red key. I phoned the dealer back and they told me that the previous owner and one before never had a key card and that this model doesn’t have one....?

I’m slightly worried how this may effect me in the future. I do have two keys with it so will keep one in a very safe place just in case!!

Any advice would be great thank you!
Old 01-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Hi Yanbo

I'm sure that the 696 should have a code card, I certainly got one with my 1100 Evo (there's no red key with these models).

You say you have the handbook so have a look under the immobiliser section - it will tell you if there should be a code card. It's only needed to override the immobiliser if it or the antenna ever malfunctions. It's unlikely that you'd ever need it but it does give you piece of mind.

I you can't trace the original and it bothers you, I think these people can retrieve the code from either the ECU or clockset, I can't remember which. http://www.motomatrix.co.uk/

You could also speak to Avanti but I think they can only access the earlier ECUs. http://www.avantiraceparts.co.uk/page.php?id=19
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:02 PM   #3
Moco1961

Hi yianni,

I don't want to put a downer on your new purchase but your bike ,like Luddite says should have the key card. I bought my 696 from a well known dealer in Chester but he is not a Ducati dealer.after quite a few phone calls I got them to contact the previous owner but sadly to no avail. When I came to trade in at a Ducati dealer I was told the value of the bike was effected by not having the card.

It is worth chasing this....did you buy from a Ducati dealer?, chances are you will want to trade in at some stage and that is when it will effect you.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:18 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Can't Ducati provide a replacement card for you? I didn't get one with my S4 either but on those you do have a red key which I have and the card is just a backup for the red key anyway, so for me it wasn't worth chasing up.

The immobiliser can be overidden but I don't think its cheap and even though that might be of some peace of mind for you should you want to do this it's not good if it puts your bike at risk from theft and you will also get penalised if you trade in without the card.

That really sucks as they must have a way to recover the codes in such cases anyway and its not really your fault that they put a stupid security system on the bikes in the first place.

Bike thieves should be punished properly for the misery they cause. Flogging is too good for them!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:43 PM   #5
Yanbo

Thank you all for the replies, although you’ve confirmed what I dreaded. I didn’t buy the bike from a Ducati dealer but from another very reputable manufacturer dealership.

I’ll give them a call tomorrow and see if they can do some chasing. Otherwise I’ll try that link above and see if they can create one.

Many thanks for all of the help, either way it’s mine now and I intend on enjoying it. Key card or no key card!
Old 01-02-2019, 08:23 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I don't think you have too much to worry about just enjoy the bike and I can't remember hearing of any issues with ECU or clock failure on those bikes so it shouldn't be a problem for you if everything is working as it should.

I don't know much about the later bikes like your 696 but on the earlier bikes (and someone may correct me if I'm wrong) but the clocks and the ECU both have a stored code in them and the code is also stored in the black keys. All 3 codes must match in order to start the bike.

The only issue you may face is if you have to replace any of them due to malfunction of any of the components mentioned or loss etc.(clocks, ecu or key) and then the codes no longer match so you must manually enter the master code or use the red key or card code (in my case either would suffice) in order to reset the master code and re-sync everything in order to be able to start the bike.

Some dealers can disable this for you in the ECU (when I asked it was like erm I'm not supposed to but I could at some cost as I know someone who can etc) or if you have a virgin DP ECU this is disabled as standard and unless you sync with the master code it then it remains off.

It may be of some reassurance to know that the clocks and ecu on your bike are much more reliable than the earlier bikes so you shouldn't have any problems. Just go out and enjoy it!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:03 AM   #7
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Yanbo, you could always contact the previous owner yourself, his/her address should be in the log book.