UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Electric bikes. What's your views?

Old 17-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #16
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Electric vehicles of all kinds fail to impress me.
Its not about the performance, its the potential for a global upsurge in nuclear power generation and a toxic mountain of worn out batteries.
Not to mention the short sighted selfishness of shifting the pollution elsewhere while claiming green credentials.
I wouldn't have one on principle.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #17
Kingfisher88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
What is the cost of replacing the batteries when they deteriorate or pack up after a few years or x number of charging cycles?

I've been looking into that. The batterys are guaranteed for 5 years an they recon they will do enough charge cycles to do around 250k so shouldn't really be a problem, obviously there will be some that break early.
Old 17-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #18
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Yes, I’m with you there. The loud exhaust is part of the road racing speed thing, whereas on a trials bike it’s about low speed control, so as long as you’ve enough sensory feedback on what the motor is doing you don’t need an exhaust.
I have very fond memories of a DT125 trials bike with tons of blue stroke wafting around. I'm not so sure I would have liked it so much has it been silent!
Old 17-09-2018, 09:48 PM   #19
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Electric vehicles of all kinds fail to impress me.
Its not about the performance, its the potential for a global upsurge in nuclear power generation and a toxic mountain of worn out batteries.
Not to mention the short sighted selfishness of shifting the pollution elsewhere while claiming green credentials.
I wouldn't have one on principle.
Good points, at the end of the day they quote costs per mile based on the power used and ignore the overall cost.
In carbon production terms it is just moving the 'problem' elsewhere.

Oh and remember the batteries are safe .... As Richard Hammond found when he trashed the Rimac electric car.
Old 17-09-2018, 10:31 PM   #20
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
Good points, at the end of the day they quote costs per mile based on the power used and ignore the overall cost.
In carbon production terms it is just moving the 'problem' elsewhere.

Oh and remember the batteries are safe .... As Richard Hammond found when he trashed the Rimac electric car.
I agree entirely and think the trend is just to fool the general public that they are buying something 'green' when clearly in terms of carbon footprint from cradle to grave production they are not. Its the same kind of con that they have going with 'carbon footprint' trading that goes on between big corparations to lo make them look 'greener'.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #21
Darkness

Bike: M900
Claudio Domenicali still seems quite taken by them, if reports are accurate?

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-b...ric-motorcycle
Old 24-01-2019, 11:47 PM   #22
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher88 View Post
That's the thing, I wanna keep my monster as I love it too much. But for a bit of winter fun I think the electric dirt bike would be good. It does only have sub 100mile range but will have quick.charge for sub 7k so it is rather tempting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damien666 View Post
I’ve often thought an electric trials bike would be good. You can be discreet in sensitive areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Yes, I’m with you there. The loud exhaust is part of the road racing speed thing, whereas on a trials bike it’s about low speed control, so as long as you’ve enough sensory feedback on what the motor is doing you don’t need an exhaust.
I agree but technically to use the green lanes (which are actually still public roads) a vehicle must be road legal and that includes electric mountain bikes- so they cannot be derestricted to go over their legal maximum (powered) speed.

So as far as I can tell unless they are taxed, insured and meet UK construction and use criteria it's private ground only.

Doesn't stop them looking a load of fun with the right skills though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REeeYtp-8qE

Not ridiculous money either really:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSET-24-0...bxJP:rk:7:pf:0