UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » M900 1997 Won´t start

Old 31-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
Miguel

M900 1997 Won´t start

Hi there,

Got a M900 from 1997 and have a problem with that.

I changed the oil following the manual (3.9 liters) but it was too much and i put only 3 liters. Ride it 2 times, and in the second time she stalled. I took the air filter and she runs again. The air filter was full of fuel and i tried to wash it the best i could with water and soap (it is a KN) but after that she worked one more time and then stalled.

PS: In the meanwhille i took of the oil in excess and now are in the right volume.

After that my battery went dry and i charged it again but the bike just don´t start even without the air filter in it. Did it damage the motor? Did i drowned the bike and just need to change the plugs? Need help folks

If are anyone from Portugal that could help to i would appreciate.

Thanks
Old 31-12-2018, 03:51 PM   #2
Macflurry

Bike: M900
Have you looked at the state of the plugs?

Also, is your battery holding it’s charge now?
Macflurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 05:02 PM   #3
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
The oil change usually includes a filter change and will assume all of the oil is out. If you don't change the filter it is usually less oil. Also it needs to be at least warm and the bike standing vertical or quite a bit of oil remains in the engine.
The fuel in the filter, if it is just fuel then it would dry out quite well by itself but the filter would need re-oiling. If you have washed it then it does need to be really dry or the cotton in the filter material will not filter well, it will not flow air very well.
It might be that if you have too much oil in the engine some has come up into the air box, the inside of the filter box would have a thin coat of oil but that should be OK now.
There is a small chamber/box between the engine and the air filter, it is possible there will be oil in this if the engine was overfilled and would be worth checking.

Plugs.. I'd try some new ones and leave the old ones somewhere warm for a few days to dry out then clean them (some solvent would be good in case they are oily). You have a centrauto or Saudade who should have some plugs or will get you the right ones.

The battery might just be old and not up to the work involved in trying to start the bike a few times, I'm guessing you tried to start up a few times. It might be worth getting this tested when it's fully charged it might not be so good when it has big loads.

You shouldn't have hurt anything, just got bits messy that should be clean.

Check the filter is clean and dry
Charge the battery
Crank the motor with plugs out and no throttle or choke
Put filter back
Put new plugs in
Old 31-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #4
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
What he said ^^^^^^^Should resolve your problems!

Goodluck and happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2019, 10:30 PM   #5
Miguel

There is a small chamber/box between the engine and the air filter, it is possible there will be oil in this if the engine was overfilled and would be worth checking. ---> Going to see that too!!

Thanks for the help mate, gonna change the plugs, they are wasted.

How do you now Centrauto?!

Best regards
Old 01-01-2019, 10:54 PM   #6
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Caroline my partner has a relation living in the Algarve so we get over there a few times a year, it's been a good base to get out and around Portugal so I know that there are lots of Centrauto's, I just checked there was one locally to you.
This year I'm not sure as we are doing a month in Italy .. The number of art galleries I have to go to so I can get to the Ducati museum and factory!!