UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Back with a M900 series I

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #496
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post

but 916s did have the oil level plate at least until 1998.
They must have forgotten to fit mine then?

Unless it fell off and I never noticed...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:29 PM   #497
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Its a back brake, so probably not used at all unless parking. Good spot though. The 916/748 uses a different setup anyway.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 07:11 PM   #498
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
They must have forgotten to fit mine then?

Unless it fell off and I never noticed...
Sorry, DD, I'd assumed that the change coincided with the switch from the Cagiva font to the current version when the factory would have recast the crankcases to include the new typeface and proper oil level lines.

I'd forgotten that some of the last 1998 916s would have had the modern graphics (and crankcases).

Nice clutch cover, by the way!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:30 PM   #499
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

The NOS horn arrived yesterday from Canada It took 6 weeks but well the £20 it cost inc p&p..
Nothing wrong with the other Voxbell either but shows some age in places but that can go on my RD maybe as that one is shot..

IMG_3357[1] by Andy Patterson, on Flickr

IMG_3358[1] by Andy Patterson, on Flickr

The oil badge on the clutch also here now. I did a small touch up with some satin black on a couple of places but happy with it considering its age for sure.
It gives enough detail to use for a replacement decal as I have photographed it with an SLR camera then can be digitally played with.

IMG_3799 by Andy Patterson, on Flickr
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:53 PM   #500
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Glad you managed to find the oil plate, Albie.

And the horn too - what a bargain!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 10:18 PM   #501
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

I have to say the world may be big but the internet makes it small. You may have seen on Facebook a guy who Ducati are grateful too for providing a M900 of 1993 to the museum of Ducati. Well that guy I managed to contact him and showed him my bike and asked for criticism pointing out anything could be wrong. His only comment was the bar ends were wrong albeit right size as such.. But very complimentary to me and stating that he had six pairs of bar ends I will send you a pair free from Italy. Would not accept any payment and told me the story of his bikes. I wont go into details but having the the gaul to contact someone can often bring out the best in people and make new friends and opportunities. He asked if I was coming to WDW but I had to say sadly no but my bike is. One year I will go but my daughter gets married to close to then..
Another nice Ducati owner .
Old 04-04-2018, 09:08 PM   #502
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Well hello April bring on May. Bikes insured along with all my classics so Monster can be taxed and ridden this weekend hoping it stays dry. They do say that May and June will be 60 days of sunshine Lets hope so.
Old 14-04-2018, 05:07 PM   #503
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Job done

I have to say I had intended to have a ride this week being off but the weather was pants from last Sunday.
On a brighter note I hope tomorrow I have time once electrician has gone from doing power to back garden.
The very job done is the fact that Denis from Italy sent me the nos bar ends and I received them today in this massive Jiffy bag. Why so big I thought and after I opened it up I saw why. He also sent me an original m900 1993 sales brochure
Awesome dude I think.
Anyhow I need to fit them on now. Tbh nothing massively different to what I have on mine now but just big countersunk olive green Allen screws.
Old 14-04-2018, 08:36 PM   #504
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
?...He also sent me an original m900 1993 sales brochure......
Tbh nothing massively different to what I have on mine now but just big countersunk olive green Allen screws.
Photo's or it didn't happen.....
Old 14-04-2018, 11:04 PM   #505
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Photo's or it didn't happen.....
It did honest guv ! Good news is I can see where the rubber bands go as I found them again after I tidied up..

30706387_10216326916190665_7524734378381301711_n by Andy Patterson, on Flickr

30714263_10216326916070662_3213313944878193757_n by Andy Patterson, on Flickr

30714025_10216326916150664_5130602529465811891_n by Andy Patterson, on Flickr

30713285_10216326916110663_2478544649276295427_n by Andy Patterson, on Flickr
Old 23-04-2018, 07:58 PM   #506
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Its been one of those days that seemed like all had gone wrong and all would be a disaster. Turned out ok in the end just about as seat is now in the capable hands of a Welling Auto interior guy ready tomorrow. Bought myself another battery charger in case mine had broken ( turns out not ) so bike started and luckily had not leaked petrol into the sump.

So had to use the spare seat foam with a loose cover and rode to fill up with fuel for Wednesday. Then went on a ride to Isle of Grain at a gentle pace as technically i have to run it in to a degree. Pulled lovely tbh and i wasnt really feeling like " this is not like my 1100s and why would it be. Have to say the rear Ohlins is very nice and stable and the front end is very nice feel after having a total refurbishment. Brakes were good but rear could be better for me as i tend to use the rear.

Having got to the power station i stopped and was considering taking a few photos ( shame about the seat mind ) but didn't as i saw droplets of fluid on the fuel tank and traces also on engine case to the left clutch side and also on front left shock. I did feel also my left foot slip on the footrest once and because of that i had to go back home and abide the speed camera limit of 40mph and past two police cars too.

Got home and rinsed bike with warm soapy water and dried it off then investigated the cause. It was the clutch banjo on the reservoir that was not tight enough and i will take full reponsibility for that so i went around all the banjos again. The engine oil lines also i nipped up a wee bit more and checked the brakes and fork tops too. All is well i think now and 20 miles almost under my belt. Tomorrow evening another shakedown this time hopefully with proper seat fitted and a bit more bike confidence for me on the Monster will get it ready for Wednesdays day off. Another thorough clean will show me also if anything wrong.

I have to honestly say i am not dissapointed with its agility and feels lighter than expected but I really do hate the mirrors as one undid itself but sorted now. Hoping pictures tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:27 PM   #507
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Probably my biggest challenge ever now is to get to the weekender. Not the fact that's it's not being trailered I'm trying to get riding again , but after its three year build I never new it's real engine history
After last Wednesday's amazing bike mag photo shoot with Rob for company I had never seen it ridden but there are glitches and was puffing some intermittant blue smoke. I'm very aware of that now but will brave it and trust my instinct
There is money left in the pot for engine work which will happen over winter where I see new piston rings needed at least. The bores were fine but I fitted a second hand set of rings on one as the original broke . This will be alongside a frame strip because the paint over the powdercoat in a few places and entirely down to me has hairline cracks. Not the biggest of deals but I will rectify by a strip down to metal and professional respray now we have a paint code.
Feeling pretty excited about journey and in a happy place
Old 09-05-2018, 04:53 PM   #508
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Here we go again.

Ok so after the last report as suspected the bike failed in the rear cylinder department but nothing was going to stop me going on the bike to the weekender. I made it, I rode it and I was lucky and humble enough to win a prestigious award. It also got me home but I never ever want to ride a bike like that again in any circumstance.
The good thing is that this club is a club that helps out in certain circumstances and lots of people came together for me and shadowed me and also offered me parts that were donated to the club to which I am extremely grateful at this time and will reimburse the person who offered them for scrap even though they were not destined to be scrap. Its only fair in my department as long as they fit and run ok I will kindly donate some money to him or a charity and pass my old ones as trophies if it helps.

The pistons arrived swiftly today from Mr Gazza and I quickly cleaned the tops up making a note of Front and Rear. Just a spray of 3in 1 and a nylon scourer and cleaned all the carbon off. Look decent enough anyhow.
Now I just need bikelift free to do it all and space to put all the bits I take off.

32086005_10216515887954841_9207180254961991680_n by Andy Patterson, on Flickr

32116927_10216515888034843_3417210164065861632_n by Andy Patterson, on Flickr

32116262_10216515887994842_6257970536584839168_n by Andy Patterson, on Flickr
Old 14-05-2019, 09:04 PM   #509
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Hello all I guess its time to return to the Monster after a whole year away from it. Something in these last 2 weeks has made me determined to start the ball rolling again. Having lost my friend Geoff last week bought it home and just speaking to him 2 weeks ago about getting cracking again I feel I owe it to him to move my butt into the garage again. This was somewhat easier said and done a few weeks ago as the last time Monster moved was the day of returning home from the weekender 2018 limping in limp mode. It hasn't turned a wheel since as feeling very despondent.
That year out I have as some may know turned my hand to making electric guitars and 4 guitars later the garage needed a sort out and electrics upgraded and lighting and lots of hoovering of sawdust and crap I seem to have collected over 12 years living here.
So tonight I started to clean off the said dust from the Monster and the Scrambler the other love of my life for 4 years now and can actually see some Red paint now.
She is still the same and still never yet ridden in the rain as that weekender was a hot one. Still has the flies on the headlight and still has missing the nylon washers from the front mudguard bolts where they vibrated off on the ride out.
I have ready at least to now use another clutch reservoir of early type with chamfer which was pointed out by another member to match the brake one. I also got a NOS very early rear number plate light from the USA with the 2 screws you can see. Not really that cool but once again pointed out to me as that's what the earliest models had. I don't doubt mine had this light originally but I wanted that look.
So my plan is now I have space ( not much space but some ) to now swap the Monster over with the XT500 on the lift as that's had the crank replaced and buttoned up also electronic ignition and 12v and ready to go.
I will then take her apart and drop engine and get the pistons swapped out and get the frame professionally repainted this summer. Who knows if I ride her this year but I hope for next years weekender its reborn again and better than ever.
I will keep you all posted as also it now seems my thread has been overtaken by Richards slow monster rebuild lol and also picture hosting is too much hassle on sites now.
Albie.
Old 14-05-2019, 09:13 PM   #510
Darkness

You can’t leave it dangling there Albie: what does a chamfered clutch master cylinder look like?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: