UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Bike Reviews :. » Bike Reviews » M821 2018

Old 04-04-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
BobT

M821 2018

I am the owner of a 939 Supersport, but my wife has just taken delivery of the latest Monster 821, in black, on her birthday.
The bike now has 500 kms (300 miles) on it and she told me to take it out for a spin. I expected much the same as the Supersport having the same power and the same Pirelli tyres. But I was quite surprised to find what a great bike it is. It is still being run in so I was restricted to 6000 rpm, but that was no problem with a maximum of 110 bhp and bags of low down grunt.
The first thing was that she has the higher comfort seat fitted and I have short legs, but I can reach the ground. The wide bars felt unusual for me when I fist set off. I was most impressed with the feeling of lightness, even though the claimed weight is about the same as my bike, I think the wide bars and upright riding position was the cause.
The bike was a stable as anything on the open road and even up to 120 kmh (75 mph) there was no problem with the wind on a naked bike. I then went into a twisty road and rode for a few mils with a grin on my face as I found the grip to be the same as my Supersport but the bike felt more nimble. It can be ridden to edge of the tyres while feeling totally secure.
When I returned home my wife was waiting to see what I thought of her bike, named Mog. The seat is a little harder than mine, and I think that it might need a small screen for longer journeys, but I loved it. The riding modes are great as on the Supersport and the urban mode copes well with the long dirt track to our house.
Overall I think that this is a great all round bike and am pleased that sho has it. Our niece in the UK has the same bike in red and also loves it.
Old 05-04-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
JET

Bike: M1200
I don’t know whether your wife or niece has the optional quick shifter fitted. I got one for free as I bought mine in December. To be honest, I wasn’t that bothered . . . but it was free! I’m so glad I’ve got it as it makes the bike far easier to accelerate away from bends and brake down into tight turns while remaining balanced and composed.
JET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:17 PM   #3
BobT

Yes the niece has it on hers, being a new biker, she has not yet switched it on. She only got her licence in January so is not sure about things like that yet. i try to guide her, but she is in Dorset and I am in France, so it is not easy.
She is crossing the channel in May so I will get her to try it on the way down to the Pyrenees.
Thanks for the info.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:26 PM   #4
JET

Assuming that the dealer has set it up properly - it should show up as enabled in the top left corner of the TFT - it is always on. If she changes up or down without using the clutch or doing anything different with the throttle it should do it for her. It took me a while to get used to the idea, but she should just experiment with it and see if she likes it.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:15 PM   #5
BobT

I think that there is an option in the meny to switch it off or on once the dealer has software enabled it. Your last post has got me wondering if I should fit one to the Supersport too. Never tried one before.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:51 PM   #6
JET

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobT View Post
I think that there is an option in the meny to switch it off or on once the dealer has software enabled it. Your last post has got me wondering if I should fit one to the Supersport too. Never tried one before.
If she’s happy that way, that’s great. However, if it is enabled, you don’t have to use it - if you pull in the clutch you still shift conventionally. I personally never use it until the bike has warmed up properly, and, of course, you don’t want to use it when coming to a stop. I probably use it 70% of the time once the bike is warm. I actually think it is probably kinder to the gearbox than some of my more ham fisted conventional gear changes!
Old 30-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #7
BobT

Just ordered the quick shift for my Supersport having read your comments JET.
Old 30-04-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
rac3r

I loved the quick shifter on my Triumph it was so much fun, shame they didn't have it for the 821 when I bought mine and the dealer said it can't be added
Old 01-05-2018, 10:25 PM   #9
JET

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobT View Post
Just ordered the quick shift for my Supersport having read your comments JET.
Hope you like it as much as I like mine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: