UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Battery recomendations

Old 05-04-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
popelli

Battery recomendations

Got a dead battery on the monster

Just dragged bike out of shed after winter hibernation

Bike was on battery stabiliser but battery is dead

Had one of those moto batt battery - seems to have lasted less than 2 years

Any recomendations for a decent battery that will last longer than 1 winter on a battery stabiliser

Tried Odyssey on a couple of bikes - bad news also - have on ducatis had more luck with lead acid batteries than the new hi tech batteries
Old 05-04-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I'm not convinced about battery optimisers at shed (zero degrees c) temperatures. Charging the battery, taking it off and storing it indoors over the winter works for me.
I've been using a Unibat for the last few years, since they became a DT sponsor, and it seems OK and was relatively cheap at the time
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:30 PM   #3
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I have read on here of some people having issues with MotoBatt batteries, so I wonder if there are some better than others. I have no issue recommending them as mine has been good for the lasr couple of years of spring/summer use and winter lay up with only occasional tender for a few hours at a time every few weeks.

The bike is kept garaged and unheated and usually only requires half an hour or so to reach full charge and starts the bike pretty easliy after a couple of presses. S4's are known for being difficult starters at the best of times so I wonder if a call to Motobatt would be worthwhile for you as 2 years isn't very long. I would have to check but I'm sure mine is in its 3rd year of service now.

If they need you to send it back the cost of shipping might not be worthwhile or it might be as Rob says that the cold has killed it.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:06 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
My Motobatt is 3 years and 8 months old and has still never been on a charger, other than the bikes charging system.

Popelli, I wonder if your "stabilizer" thingy is at fault?
Old 05-04-2017, 09:06 PM   #5
Flip

Bike: M900
My Motobatt went on the Monster in August 2012 so doing well so far.

However, by contrast the first one I fitted to my race bike at the end of 2013 was faulty and didn't quite make a year but was replaced under warranty without question.

They didn't want the original back and simply sent a new one out to me once they had received the serial number of the faulty one.

As a reference, the original Yuasa battery lasted over twelve years, I replaced it with the same again thinking the extra money (Yuasa were far more expensive than others at the time) would be worth it seeing how good it had been- but that one lasted less than two years.

So overall I can't really complain about Motobatt's myself- they are still old fashioned lead acid technology but with Absorbed Glass Mat fibres instead of being wet cell and so have the added bonus of not wanting to dump the electrolyte over your precious frame and engine cases like the old 'top 'em up types' are prone to do with their drippy breather pipes and three batteries in twenty years is pretty good going I'd say.

Last edited by Flip; 05-04-2017 at 09:15 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:24 AM   #6
slob

I've had a couple of motobats split and weep acid gel on my rear cylinder head over the years. No complaints about the electrical performance though
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
popelli

Strangely once battery was fully charged its now working perfectly

Battery stabilisers I think just allow the battery to go flat over a longer period it would appear than no stabiliser
Old 12-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #8
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
Neil at Cornerspeed advised me that gel batteries are better off with a periodic re-charge rather than hooking them up permanently to a charger even if it is of the optimiser type.
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:14 PM   #9
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Hurl your stupid stabilizer thingy in the bin. You only need something like that if you have an alarm or other permanent current draw.
The Motobatt will hold it's charge for months on end. If you suspect a current drain of any sort just disconnect the earth lead for the storage period or preferably remove the battery to a warmer place, as Slob mentioned.
Old 13-04-2017, 05:47 PM   #10
V3nners

I bought a lithium battery for my CB1000R as they have better cranking amps that this bike seems to need.
I was absolutely amazed at the weight difference it must have weighed at least half as much as the standard battery I also only had to touch the start button slightly and it would spin into life instantly!
Old 13-04-2017, 06:03 PM   #11
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I usually put mine on the Optimate for a couple of hours before I intend to start it. It usually goes into charging mode (yellow) for about 30 mins then stays on maintenance charge mode (green). Gel batteries like lead/acid ones need periodic charging just so they don't go completely flat

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 07:28 PM   #12
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Compared to the original standard 16Al-A2 wet acid battery, my lithium replacement saved ......
wait for it .......

FIVE POINT FOUR FIVE BL00DY KILOS.

That's not far off a whole stone, in old money.

It also created space to carry a tyre plug repair kit.

Win winny win win.

Oh, and higher CCA too.
I'm only ever so slightly perturbed that I'll suffer a meltdown.
Might fit a mosfet reg/rec.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote