UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Yet more poor Main Dealer Service

Old 20-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
bluestoesonnose

Yet more poor Main Dealer Service

Got another Monster, full main dealer service history with all the invoices etc. As with all bikes I get I'm undertaking a full service to get to know the bike and make sure its all as it should be.

Yet again I'm finding that the fuel filter is the original one (2003 date stamp) and the deal has charged the previous owner for changing it (twice!).

Two of the spark plugs look original (are stamped Ducati) but the dealer invoice shows that all four were changed at every service, this hasn't happened at every service.

Check your bikes after a main dealer service chaps (and chapesses) and make sure what has been charged for has been done.

Cheers
Old 03-01-2015, 01:26 AM   #2
Willthedub

I can't believe this, I thought they're meant to be on our side!
Old 03-01-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
Tosh

Bike: M900sie
The other thing to do is, when bike goes in for service, ask for all old items back. Could give them a story about wanting to keep everything that has been bolted onto bike. I know that they could give you any old items, but may just keep them honest.
Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
When I bought my 750 it had supposedly had a belt service about 200 miles earlier.
I had a look anyway and found about an eggcupfull of belt dust in there and the central belt cover had been gradually "bandsawed" by one of the belts moving outwards on the pulleys.
This was due to a manufacturing fault on the lower pulley, which had obviously been present since the bike was new.
As I touched the damaged cover section, the bandsawed piece fell off and landed between belt and pulley, where it would presumably have wrecked the valve gear if the engine had been running at the time.
In fact I think the same dealer had "changed" the belts at the previous service too.

Though it must be said that there are many dealers out there who do provide excellent service.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 01:56 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Not the same dealer who put your front sprocket on back to front by any chance?

My first Monster came to me with a fresh dealer service, and pretty soon afterwards one of the rear pads shot out because the pin had not been put through the hole in the pad.

Back in the Seventies a few of my mates bought new motorbikes. They soon got into the habit of putting a dob of paint onto critical bolt heads just across the head and washer. Including sump plug and filter housing, just before service time.

Going to be paying a guy to check and adjust my valve clearances later in the month. It will be only the second time I've paid a motorcycle shop to work on my bike....First time was when I took my Honda 175 in to tune the carbs, in about 1976...In fact they didn't charge me because they couldn't get them any better than I had...
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 03:38 PM   #6
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Hmmm, well you may have a point there about the sprocket, although actually I can see no reason why it would ever have been removed by that time...it was only 2k miles old.
But maybe that is how it happened after all.
AND the battery overflow tube was missing...and the reg/rec failed, acid boiled, etc. etc.

Sometimes though, a single bad experience at a given dealer can just be down to one rogue or junior/inexperienced mechanic, rather than an overall indication of a poor dealer workshop.
OK, I'm being charitable here, but everyone deserves one mistake, eh ?

Don't be too wary of doing the valve clearances yourself.
It pays to be very cautious, but if you proceed slowly there is no reason why a person of your ability could not at least check them yourself.
There's no real risk of getting anything wrong until you actually make any adjustments, but checking may be all that is required.
I've checked mine twice now, and replaced two shims too.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:42 AM   #7
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
In thailand its not uncommon to take a bike or car into a dealer for service and get it back with wrong parts fitted or even second hand parts fitted and the decent stuff removed from your bike ,,, my mates BMW had a cheaper stereo satnav system in it when he got back ,, and another guys Suzuki had had the brakes changed from 4 pots to 2 pots calipers ,, both guys got the cops involved but no result as dealers just deny it ,,,
Old 04-01-2015, 11:10 AM   #8
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
In thailand its not uncommon to take a bike or car into a dealer for service and get it back with wrong parts fitted or even second hand parts fitted and the decent stuff removed from your bike ,,, my mates BMW had a cheaper stereo satnav system in it when he got back ,, and another guys Suzuki had had the brakes changed from 4 pots to 2 pots calipers ,, both guys got the cops involved but no result as dealers just deny it ,,,
Yes but they know how to tune a scooter

http://youtu.be/EFjakgypqSs

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:23 PM   #9
Gilps

I know a mechanic who used to work for a large main dealer locally. He had a bag of new Monster fuel filters. The problem is that the service schedule from Ducati states that they should be changed and a certain amount of time is allocated for the job. The reality is that the filter very rarely needs changing in this country as our fuel is usually decent quality, and the time allowed for the job is insufficient. The dealers have to be seen to be doing the job properly, so they order parts from Ducati, the mechanic books them out of stores, doesn't fit them (sticks them in a bag) and the customer gets invoiced for it as the service item on the system is computerised and the items on it are pre-determined. The dealer then replenishes his stock from Ducati so they are happy that the job is being done.

If you look at the change in service schedules that occurred around 2007, when Ducati boasted about improved quality and reduced servicing costs for the customer, all they really did was remove unnecessary items from the schedule. The belts were a prime example. Old S2R 800s needed the belts changed every 2 years or 12k, newer ones have longer periods. Its the same belts, same engine, nothing changed, apart from Ducati realising/admitting the belts were good for longer periods than previously stated.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #10
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
fuel filter in Uk last about 5-6 years but in thailand only 3 if u are lucky as they clog up with crap.

yes belts on 2v models last longer than 2 years i reckon 3-4 and over 15K IS FINE