UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » I want! » Going for Gold.. Help please!

Old 02-05-2024, 08:40 PM   #1
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Found that Cerakote seem to be based in Newmarket, which is not many turns of a wheel from me.
Also found this on their website which is a mix of 4 Cerakote colours, but not sure if the black is just for the ring?
https://www.cerakote.com/project-gal...i-carter-color

Could get a bit salty if I need to buy 3 or 4 tins at $35 a pop!
Old 03-05-2024, 08:18 AM   #2
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
It would be worth talking to your local guys, they probably have a shelf of stock colours but who knows if they'd sell you a small quantity.
So while 'researching' the how to you have to think

# Is there an alternative paint
These are all in the same family of paints, sprayable with a ceramic content.
Norrels molyresin crops up in searches but it's get very limited coulour ways, no gold and no cheaper. Mostly available in the US and used as a gun finish.
Duracoat, again crops up but again is limited in colours, the only near metallic they do is a burnt bronze that's matt and too dull a colour.
Sprayable expoxy might be an option, wheel paint springs to mind as the colour ranges will cover a gold type finish, Stardust colours do rattle cans of this for about £43 a shot of a gold colour. They also do a liquid metal paint which is cheaper but more a 2k type paint

# Is it feasible to anodise the casing?
First pro is it is a tighter bond to the material than paint will be but the drawback is the colour range you can achieve is much more limited.

I'd go with cerakote or the wheel paint and be quite likely to farm it out to someone who has all the kit and experience to do a good job. Stripping epoxy or cerakote would be a real pain if it didn't come out as expected.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:45 AM   #3
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Thanks for taking time to think about this Nick, some good tips there.
I'll investigate those other companies you mention and I'll probably nip into the nearest Cerakote "applicator" when I can, there's a couple within range. Including the HQ.
The people who mixed the Gold for that tank cap are in France and only give a phone number for contact so it could be fun trying to find out their formula.

Stardust (also French) suggested BC71 as being close to Magnesium Gold, but it's not a high temperature paint.

Anodising is out of the equation as I don't want to take the clutch case off and getting an exact shade of Gold is extremely difficult. I've been down that avenue before with forks.
Nasher has professional dealings with anodising companies and admits to them being very frustrating.

Spray gun is no problem as I have a good supply of air now and quite a collection of spray guns!

I might pay Ketts a visit too as they are very helpful, but I don't have a sample of what I want except photos... Actually come to think of it a rear brake master would be a good start.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:50 AM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

I'd really like to know why GPColors have pulled Ducati Magnesium Gold engine paint from their listings.
What would be really cool is for someone fluent in Italian to phone them and see if they could weedle a tin or two out of them. Capo would have been good at that.