UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New in Devon

Old 28-04-2019, 08:33 AM   #1
Nikki

New in Devon

Hello,
After many years of wanting a Ducati, I got back on 2 wheels on a 2001 M6. I’ve managed to do all routine servicing and am still getting to know the bike. But it’s driving me nuts that it’s a pain to ride at low revs under 2800 in slow moving traffic or manoeuvres - all stutters and lurches. Carbs have been balanced.
Any advice anyone?
Old 28-04-2019, 08:51 AM   #2
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Welcome to the forum Nikki, don't know much about the M600 but my MZ1000 is the same, it's just one of the quirks of riding a big twin.
Old 28-04-2019, 09:13 AM   #3
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Welcome to the fold Nikki
If you've come from a past on jap bikes then you'll find that, if you've had smaller jap singles and twins then you may even notice it more.
You've got to ride the motor more, be in the right gear as unlike an inline 4 you've only got two relatively big pistons bumping up and down which isn't going to feel as smooth. Often a gear higher than you think works better as the motor will lug along and feel a bit happier.
Throttle control is also an acquired art, given the pretty flat torque curve you don't need big handfuls at lower speeds. Try much more subtle fine throttle feed at lower revs.
Gear changing, neutral selection and jerking also get worse if the chain isn't just so. Found that particularly on one of my 750's.

Stick with it and get in some riding time, it gets better.
Old 28-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #4
Nikki

Thanks for the welcome and advice. I’ll keep riding and honing my riding technique. The bikes gorgeous and you’re prob spot on with me relying on my experience of riding IL4’s. I’m getting the hang of the gearing differences , it’s just looking like a novice at low speeds when there are plenty of observers. Cheers
Old 28-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #5
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Hello and welcome along.

As Nick says, the lumpiness at low speeds is a characteristic of an engine with a small number of big cylinders, giving fewer but bigger bangs than a multi cylinder motor with correspondingly smaller cylinders.
The solution (in my opinion) is to use the clutch more (and, by implication to retain a higher gear).
Particularly on slow turns around town etc, I often (ie nearly always) dip the clutch (without any intention of changing gear) just before opening the throttle to drive out of the turn.
This smooths out the lumpiness.
Keeping the chain well adjusted, without too much slack, and well lubed, will help somewhat.
The same techniques are required on my other bike, a 650 single, which has even fewer, even bigger bangs.

It is often suggested that fitting a smaller front sprocket (to lower the gearing) helps, but in my opinion this is exactly the opposite of what's required on a monster.

As you have probably discovered, early monsters are surprisingly easy to service and maintain.
Belt changes are sometimes feared but are actually dead simple to do.
The only really tricky job is checking and adjusting the valve clearances.
Even then, the checking is the easier of the two and adjustments are seldom required.
My 750 has never seen a dealer's workshop in nearly 30,000 miles.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 02:36 PM   #6
Nikki

I’ve surprised myself at what I’ve been able to do. The cam belt change was a bit daunting but managed to do it. Chains all adjusted so it’s purely down to me. I got garage to look at carbs though - they seemed a bit disinterested or maybe unconcerned with the issues I raised. Does anyone know a local Devon mechanic who they could recommend if I’m still having problems?
Old 28-04-2019, 05:58 PM   #7
Darkness

Bike: M900
Welcome aboard.

You could always drop in on Red Max. They know more than a little about Ducatis.

http://www.redmaxspeedshop.com/
Old 29-04-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
hello and welcome from even further West

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: