UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Flaming RR51

Old 28-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #31
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
If I'm seeing that right, the mounting clip looks surprisingly like one of the cable cleats that I used for the heavy gauge electrical wiring to my shed.
Nowt wrong with that though.

I'm toying with fitting one of these myself, but ...
What I would really like is a device which has the added feature of cutting the charging circuit in the event of a system failure which would otherwise lead to overcharging of the battery (ie above the 15v limit recommended for my lithium battery).
But in lieu of that, the monitor device might well be a useful part-solution.
In that respect, although the smaller unit is neater, the bigger one should be more obvious and would therefore be more noticeable, giving more chance to respond quickly.

edit .. and the excess charge obviously has to go somewhere once its cut from the battery.
Notice, I'm not a natural electrician.

I can't help wondering if it would be possible to arrange for a relay to switch between the charge monitoring and the battery condition functions.
Furthermore that this relay could operate in conjunction with say, the neutral switch such that, under most conditions (ie when in a gear) the unit would monitor the charging circuit but would switch to indicating battery condition when in neutral.
That's probably asking for too much (and would be a messier installation) but I mention it just in case any electrical wizards can take it further.

Last edited by utopia; 28-04-2019 at 01:34 PM..
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2019, 03:38 PM   #32
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Jeff... The system that stops your battery getting more than 15 volts should already be in place if you have a regulator fitted.. It's up to the operator to stop the alternator spinning if you get a red light. (assuming you have fitted a warning light.) Or cut the cables coming from the battery, if the problem is coming from that direction, as was the case for Nasher.

I am as electrically adept as yourself, but I fancy that it is not possible to monitor the battery level when the engine is running, as it will be receiving a charge current, and therefor that will be the current available anyway regardless of the battery.
If you have another look at Alan's BSM (Battery Status Monitor) which he has been making for over 20 years apparently. You will see that it works in both charging and battery level modes simply depending on whether the engine is running or not.. Something which the Gammatronix does not, without manipulation.
Alan's BSM also has the cute feature of dimming when the ambient light level drops.. ie at night. I think it's un-ambiguous red flashing when over charging is good too.

Anyway as mentioned I will be seeing him on Wednesday, so I could pick up a handlebar clamp for you if you like and you could try one of my Gammatronix units...I think I will be going for one of Alan's BSMs to be honest.
Guess I'll be seeing you at the weekend?
Old 29-04-2019, 08:00 AM   #33
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
So do these just connect across the battery terminals or do they need a switched circuit?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 11:38 AM   #34
Nasher

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
So do these just connect across the battery terminals or do they need a switched circuit?
Direct accross the battery - with a fuse.

Fitted the new Reg/Rec and warning lamp yesterday afternoon, then got out for a quick blat round.

Will take some images later in the week, but fitted the reg/rec on it’s side in the standard position, mounted on a 3mm thick Aluminium plate which sticks out about 10mm all round to hopefully keep it even cooler. I know it’s overkill, but I really don’t want to see the old girl on fire again.

The engine side cables on the Triumph cable were long enough to connect to the M900 alternator cables.
I nearly soldered them, thinking that with the plug on the end of the cable at the Reg/Rec another disconnect is not required, remember the original Ducati Reg/Rec and RR51 both have a pigtail not plugs at the unit, but decided I’d use a couple of 30A blades I have hanging around as they could be positioned in an easier place to reach to disconnect with a hot engine.

The battery side Triumph cables split into two a couple of inches from the Reg/Rec plug and go down in size considerably, so I chopped them off and joined on some longer lengths of 30A cable which I took direct to the battery.
I added an inline blade fuse holder just behind the battery as as easy way to isolate and protect the Reg/Rec.

With the engine not running my multi-meter had the battery at 12.8V after charging for a few hours, then 14.3V with the engine running at idle.
Interestingly, on increasing the revs it popped up to 14.3V off idle and didn’t go any higher no matter how much I tried to annoy the neighbours on a quite Sunday afternoon.

I’d been in the garage all afternoon by that point, had been at the Hayling Island Hot Rod and Custom show all morning, and wanted a ride out on the bike before I completely upset Mrs Nasher, so quickly lengthened the cables on the battery Charge monitoring LED ‘Thing’, I connected the negative direct to the battery –ve post, and T’d the +ve to the ignition output that powers the main relay.
Then I drilled a 14mm hole in a spare ignition switch surround I had and dropped it in there temporarily, remembering to remove the link. It does fit Gazza, quite nicely actually, But I really don’t want to leave it there. I’m going to fit it in place of the bulb in the standard warning light block, and replace the standard Red lens with a clear or slightly opaque white one. I’m also going to use your idea of adding a switch across the link pins to use it in both functions.

With the ignition on the light is Yellow/Orange, but once the engine is running it turns green, then back to yellow/Orange a few seconds after the ignition goes off.
The only bad comment I’d make is that it’s not that bright when viewed in sunlight, so I may have an issue with my plan of putting it in the warning light block.

Nasher.
Old 29-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #35
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I notice that the BSM unit has a feature which dims the led under low light conditions.
Which leads me to wonder whether this is partly because the led is particularly bright under daylight conditions .. thus making it easier to spot if a charging circuit fault develops ......?
This is my main concern with these devices, ie would I notice the red light quickly enough to avoid meltdown occurring ?
Ideally I'd like a system which could "failsafe" without any rider input being required.
But in lieu of that, a bigger, brighter flashing light would at least be more noticeable.

Gazza .. ta for your pm.
I'll ponder and get back to you.
And yes, I'm sure a discussion at the weekender is in order.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:46 PM   #36
Nasher

Bike: M900
Just an update with some images.

As mentioned above I fitted the new Reg/Rec in the standard position, laying on it's side and attached to a larger Aluminium plate to aid cooling.

I didn't like the Charge monitor lamp in the ignition switch surround where I first put it:

So moved it into the position of the original charge warning light in the standard warning light block.

It glows Orange when the ignition is switched on:

And Green when the engine is running.

Unfortunately the battery is still discharging itself over a few days.

Looks like I need to splash out on a Motobatt!

Nasher

Last edited by Nasher; 09-07-2020 at 09:20 AM..
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote