UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Brake issues

Old 16-06-2019, 10:58 AM   #1
Rrawlings

Bike: M1100evo
Brake issues

I’m back again with more tales of misery. After the shock debacle and flipping the calliper to bleed the back brake after stripping it down the back brake is still sticking. There’s free play at the pedal but starting to get annoying when you can’t wheel the bike around when it’s warm and it stopping when you roll up to traffic lights.

Master cylinder time?

Also are the discs for the front same on an 1100s as they are on an evo? Can get some cheap but shop says they are for an s

Cheers
Rrawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 11:08 AM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
more pedal free play, you might be lucky and not have ruined anything yet. fingers x-ed

s with ohlins forks will have different offset (caliper spacing)

std 1100 & evo might be the same but galfer part #s different so not 100% sure

Last edited by slob; 16-06-2019 at 11:14 AM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
Chriswilly

Bike: M900ie
Bleeding the rear brake is a pain because the master cylinder is above the filler - needs to be taken off with the caliper and held in the correct order so that the fluid route is master cylinder below the caliper - or use a pressure bleeder.

Think that's right!
Chriswilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 11:46 AM   #4
slob

he knows chris, he’s been there. overheating/binding issue different
Old 16-06-2019, 12:21 PM   #5
Luddite

Slob's right on both counts (of course!). The offset for the S discs is different from the Evo's. I changed my front discs 18 months ago and researched the alternatives then. A pair of stock discs was about £480 and the RRP for Brembo Serie Oros was around £440. But I got a pair from Simon at WSC Performance for £285 delivered. He also supplied two pairs of SA sintered pads for £54. Give him a try - full contact details here:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=56141

As for the rear brake, it's quite common for it to be weak due to air in the system and it's also not unusual for owners to try to compensate by winding in the adjuster. That could be what the previous owner did on yours so that, now you've got it working as it should, it's now got insufficient clearance. If you've stripped and cleaned the caliper (and changed the seals) then that shouldn't be the source of the binding so, as slob says, try backing off the pushrod a bit.

Also, make sure the reservoir isn't overfull - too much fluid may not leave enough space for expansion when the system heats up.

Let us know how you get on.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2019, 12:47 PM   #6
Rrawlings

I don’t need the discs they are just cheap so thought I’d get them for spares.

So back brake

I’ll get some more free play in it and try that however lifting the seal a little shows a rather nasty looking push rod that might need fettling up too
Old 16-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #7
slob

if you don’t spot it in time you wreck the disc & caliper too, so at least you’re on the case
Old 16-06-2019, 04:04 PM   #8
Rrawlings

Well I’ve got as much free play as possible without taking the pedal off! Couldn’t test it though the rain returned. I’ll try again one evening this week. If the free play doesn’t work I’ll get a new master
Old 16-06-2019, 04:19 PM   #9
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrawlings View Post
If the free play doesn’t work I’ll get a new master
Hopefully, it won't come to that but, if you do need one (62540041A), give Craig and Luke a ring at Moto Rapido (01962 873981) where you'll get a UKMOC 10% discount. It should come in at just under £50 posted.
Old 18-06-2019, 09:00 AM   #10
Rrawlings

Set off this morning to work and all was good then started hitting slow traffic and the free play disappeared and then the brake started sticking again. Got moving at a decent speed again so bike cooled down and it was free as a bird at the next junction I pulled up at. So does it sound like still air in the system or should I get a master cylinder? I could have sworn that the bleeding was good and was free of air but I guess I could be wrong. The fluid level is halfway to allow for expansion just in case too
Old 18-06-2019, 11:47 AM   #11
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrawlings View Post
Set off this morning to work and all was good then started hitting slow traffic and the free play disappeared and then the brake started sticking again. Got moving at a decent speed again so bike cooled down and it was free as a bird at the next junction I pulled up at. So does it sound like still air in the system or should I get a master cylinder? I could have sworn that the bleeding was good and was free of air but I guess I could be wrong. The fluid level is halfway to allow for expansion just in case too
To me that sounds like water in the system, boiling when hot and pressurising the system.
Have you changed/topped up the fluid recently, and was it from a new sealed (Unshaken) can?
Old 18-06-2019, 11:52 AM   #12
Rrawlings

yeah brand new bottle went through several reservoirs full
Old 18-06-2019, 04:15 PM   #13
Rrawlings

Got another bottle of brake fluid on my way home then spent forever bleeding half a litre through. Seems ok but will see
Old 19-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #14
Luddite

Hope you get this sorted soon, Ryan.

The only other thing I can think of that could cause the binding would be a blocked bypass port in the master cylinder not allowing the pressurised fluid back into the reservoir.

The port is pretty small so any debris in the reservoir or corrosion in the master cylinder can block or restrict it.
Old 19-06-2019, 12:31 PM   #15
Rrawlings

Me too Vince it’s starting to really annoy me. The bypass could be a good shout if I’m honest as it took some work to get the pistons back in when I was messing around checking the piston movement yesterday. I’m hoping to use it for my short work commute tomorrow to see if there is any progress. If not I’ll get the master then give the whole back brake system another going over