UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Service quote opinions / sense check

Old 16-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #31
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
I would suggest calling Pete at Pro Twins and having a chat to explain that paying for parts upfront seems a bit unusual. They are basing the need to replace the discs on your opinion of the condition of the discs. I am sure if you took it for the service and let them decide then the only downside would be that you would have to wait for the discs to be delivered so your bike might be there for a few days, but you wouldn't be paying upfront for them.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #32
turbohobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunEye View Post
I would suggest calling Pete at Pro Twins and having a chat to explain that paying for parts upfront seems a bit unusual. They are basing the need to replace the discs on your opinion of the condition of the discs. I am sure if you took it for the service and let them decide then the only downside would be that you would have to wait for the discs to be delivered so your bike might be there for a few days, but you wouldn't be paying upfront for them.
Yeah, there is that. Pete is out today but wanted me to leave my card details. I'll instead call him tomorrow for a full on natter. Don't get me wrong, I like the guys and want to give them my business, but only business that is needed and without funding up front!
Old 16-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #33
popelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohobbit View Post
Agreed. But isn't it a bit odd that they're charging me £400 for parts before they've even confirmed that I need them? Or am I being naive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohobbit View Post
Is that about right or am I getting a bit fleeced? Sounds like a lot of money for what I originally thought was going to be a straightforward service.
you are not being a bit fleeced

you are being totally fleeced

find an honest independent shop

if you really do need disc rotors check out various companies that advertise in the comic at a fraction of those prices
Old 16-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #34
Rascall

Bike: M900ie
I would do as much as possible myself and save £400 - £500, the thought of paying a main dealer makes my blood run cold

Aftermarket disks, pads and a can of brake cleaner. 3 hours work & parts £350.00

An oil/filter change, new belts and check the valves 4 hours work & parts £150.00 (good videos for all of these on Youtube) then get an independent to re shim the valves only if required.

I suppose it depends how confident you are with spanners and how much your free time is worth.

Russell
Rascall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 10:57 PM   #35
Black Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by popelli View Post
you are not being a bit fleeced

you are being totally fleeced

find an honest independent shop
Careful.....
Old 17-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #36
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Rascall puts it pretty well.
Though personally, I'd still be inclined to try new pads on the old discs before shelling out on new ones, just to make certain that it really was bust before such an expensive fix.

On the valve clearances, the Ducatitech videos are equally good on this too...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIj3nSJGPZw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WQY1MRlmH4
Their suggested method of checking the closing clearances via the opening shim makes things a lot simpler.
I was a little daunted the first time I did it, but its not as hard as you might think and you can't really mess anything up unless any shims actually need changing, which they often don't.
Doing it yourself is also great if the bike is a long-term keeper as you can build up a record of the changing state of the clearances over a long period and thus be able to predict when adjustment is likely to be needed, as well as just getting to know the bike that much better.
Not worth the risk if you're ham fisted, but any half-competent mechanic should have no trouble checking the clearances.
I'd recommend leaving shim-changing itself to the experts though, unless you're particularly nifty. Even then, I'd have my worries and would want to recheck after a few miles.
My bike has just clicked 13,000 miles and has never seen a dealer's workshop in its adult life. Up to now I've had to change just one closing shim, and then only because I was being fussy......and I know which one is likely to need adjustment next and I already have the shim.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #37
turbohobbit

Thanks loads guys. I really appreciate all of this input. I really need a dealer to do this upcoming service because the bike is still under warranty (until September) and I want to keep the service history intact until at least then as I'm doing ~8k a year on it so anything could happen...

After that, though, I'm sorely tempted to start getting my hands dirty. I'm a total novice, but I guess you only learn by doing.
Old 17-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #38
turbohobbit

Right, I've spoken to PT and we've shelved the discs for now, so she's booked in for the £450 service and we'll take the discs as they come. I've told them I'd like to ride out and see how new pads + old discs go, but they have intimated that if they deem that the discs actually need replacing, replaced they will be. We'll see.
Old 17-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #39
manwithredbike
aka Phil

Bike: M900
Do the warranty conditions stipulate that a dealer must service it? if so, i see your point, otherwise, i would go to an independent or diy it. Dealers (car included) are ridiculously over priced and will bog the arm in at every opportunity.
I agree with utopia, try the pads on their own, you've only got the price of a quickly worn pair of pads to lose. The discs aren't warped are they? I didn't pick that up from your post.
Old 17-04-2014, 06:30 PM   #40
turbohobbit

Nope, not warped. The best way to describe it is that they are not knife-smooth on the surface when you run your thumb across it but rather smoothly ridged, a bit like running your thumb across a patterned glazed dinner plate.
Old 17-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #41
Unit 18

They will have a minimum thickness stamped on them, you will need a micrometer to check this in several places, if you have one and they are still above the minimum and not too badly scored they should be usable, with care initially as the pads will have to bed in and will not be as effective.
If they are on or below the minimum or excessively scored you will need replacements.
Old 17-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #42
turbohobbit

Excellent info, thanks Unit!

BTW, I'll me contacting you in the future for other work...
Old 17-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #43
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Technically and legally you don't need to use a main dealer to stay within warranty (cars 100%, bikes may be different but I doubt it). As long as the work is done correctly as per schedule then the company cannot refuse the warranty.

Of course there is bound to be a 'conversation' when you rock up demanding warranty cover without official stamps in the book

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #44
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Just spotted these.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ducati-bre...p2056016.l4276
Dunno whether they're suitable fitment for your bike or not tbh, but I'm guessing that they would be.
And of course there is always some uncertainty in buying secondhand discs, but these sound ok.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 07:41 AM   #45
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Just spotted these.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ducati-bre...p2056016.l4276
Dunno whether they're suitable fitment for your bike or not tbh, but I'm guessing that they would be.
And of course there is always some uncertainty in buying secondhand discs, but these sound ok.
Same here, these are early type:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Mon...item2ed1114b26

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote