UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Pro Twins deny my problem

Old 12-11-2007, 11:27 AM   #1
chief

Angry Pro Twins deny my problem

Hello

I brought my Monster S2R 1000 from Protwins in 2006. It ran great for several months, then the clutch started to grind / wear at a certain point when moving from standstill.

This got gradually worse and started to happen through several gears. I took my bike to Protwins who flipped the clutch plates and said that this was something that happened with dry clutches.

Since then i have had to take it back about 3 times with the same issue and since i put it in for its first service, the issue has been worse and the clutch has slipped and it grinds / wears when changing down through gears.

It doesn't always find the gears either, sometimes sticking between second and third or third and forth.

I have taken it back to Protwins but they keep telling me there is nothing fundamentally wrong, but i feel that seeing it wasn't doing this when i bought the bike, it shouldn't be doing it now, right?

I spoke to a mate, who also owns a ducati, he said it sounds like they are just trying to not replace a faulty clutch as they have to fork out for it not Ducati (it is still under warranty).

Further to this, i paid £700 (which i am told is hefty) for the first service and since i got it back, if i have to push hard on the back brake, the whole back end locks, jolts and rattles.

I feel if i go to Protwins with all the above, they will once again tell me nothing is wrong so that i have to pay for further work.

Can anyone here tell me:
1. If they have had similar clutch issues and whether it is a known problem or as i suspect, a faulty clutch?

2. if they know how i should handle Protwins?

3. If there are any other good dealer / servicers i can use (i am se london) because if i do have to pay for this work, you can be sure i wont be paying Protwins after all this.

Thanks

Chief
Old 12-11-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
David Matthews

Bike: S2r 1000
Are you in the RAC or AA? I believe both these organisations offer vehicle checks to their members in some circumstances. Failing this, if you were to speak to Pro Twins insisting that the clutch isn't right and suggest a third party has a look at it. This may push them into action if they realise you aren't going to let it drop.
David Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief View Post
since i got it back, if i have to push hard on the back brake, the whole back end locks, jolts and rattles.
Chief
sounds like they bled the rear break and or changed the pads
is possible you were used to a useless spongy rear break that didn't perform and now it does, try less effort on the leaver?

you can dial some of the rattle and chatter out with the rear rebound damping
Old 12-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
Chief, I've always had good service from PvT. There are always people who find fault with a dealer and if you look hard enough, you will find a few who have had issues with them.

Could you give us an idea of how long you've been riding bikes for, what you use the bike for, how many miles it has covered, in town, out of town etc? That will help us get a clearer view of the issue.

I would say that your mates diagnosis is partly true. The clutch itself should be covered under warranty; the plates will not be because they are wear items like the brake pads. That said, if they've been damaged because of a warranty fault, my personal opinion is that they should be changed foc.

Could you clarify your issue with the back brake please? I would expect the rear wheel to lock if you're really standing on it.

Re price, I've found them a little heavy, but everything should be laid out clearly on the invoice. I'm beginning to form a view that PvT cater for the Ducati owners who want to ensure their bike always runs properly and are happy to pay a premium for that, rather than those who want only a basic annual service and compare prices carefully. I'm not judging either group and I would hope that other members will respect that.

Enjoy, J.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #5
scrumpster

I can't imagine the dealer paying for warranty work, I would suspect they claim it back off Ducati. Look at me who uses another dealer other than that she bought her bike from and I'm on my 3rd Petrol tank and I'm sure they said they get the money back from Ducati.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
tetol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryXt View Post
Chief, I've always had good service from PvT. There are always people who find fault with a dealer and if you look hard enough, you will find a few who have had issues with them.

Could you give us an idea of how long you've been riding bikes for, what you use the bike for, how many miles it has covered, in town, out of town etc? That will help us get a clearer view of the issue.

I would say that your mates diagnosis is partly true. The clutch itself should be covered under warranty; the plates will not be because they are wear items like the brake pads. That said, if they've been damaged because of a warranty fault, my personal opinion is that they should be changed foc.

Could you clarify your issue with the back brake please? I would expect the rear wheel to lock if you're really standing on it.

Re price, I've found them a little heavy, but everything should be laid out clearly on the invoice. I'm beginning to form a view that PvT cater for the Ducati owners who want to ensure their bike always runs properly and are happy to pay a premium for that, rather than those who want only a basic annual service and compare prices carefully. I'm not judging either group and I would hope that other members will respect that.

Enjoy, J.
why are pro twins so special you have to pay a premium to get your bike to run properly?
Old 12-11-2007, 07:16 PM   #7
Headhunter
THFC

Bike: M620ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief View Post
Any other good dealer / servicers i can use (i am se london) because if i do have to pay for this work, you can be sure i wont be paying Protwins after all this.

Thanks

Chief

Whatever you do, DO NOT for the love of god take it to Metropolis Vauxhall!!!

Personally I'd take it to Rosso Corse - www.rossocorse.co.uk - do a search on this site and you'll get people's opinions.

Ok so the warranty becomes invalid, however, after 1 year's siht service from Ducati dealers I thought balls to locking me in for another year and took the risk and went independent. Never looked back.

Sir Winston Churchill
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:39 PM   #8
jwood26

My S2R1000

Hi, I have a 2006 S2R1000 and have been so lucky not to have any of the problems you have been having (to date!) My first service with Veloces (when it was open) cost me £100 on the nose!!! I was more than happy with that! Get a second opinion mate and get them to write it down and sign it. Don't let it put you off monsters though please!! Cheers
Old 12-11-2007, 09:12 PM   #9
DavidEJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
Ok so the warranty becomes invalid, however, after 1 year's siht service from Ducati dealers I thought balls to locking me in for another year and took the risk and went independent. Never looked back.
I use independents for car and bike and believe that 'as long as the independent is using OE parts/fluids etc (or even those of similar quality now) the manufacturer must honour the warranty'. Not an issue for my bike but my car (Alfa) has always been serviced at independents (cos I don't trust the monkeys at the dealership) and all warranty claims have been honoured without question.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #10
crust
rattles when he walks

Bike: M900
if it was my bike, I wouldn't go back there

if you're not happy, go to a dealer who will make you happy, you may have to travel but its not often and the peace of mind is worth it.

why not take it to

Snells, they're in Alton, a nice ride out to Hamps

or

Moto Rapido, they're in Winchester

both have good reps, both are enthusiastic.

Take your bike to them, dont mention your past problems - it wont help and may put them off, ask them if they'll have a look at your bike and can they help

You'll be pleasantly surprised by their attitudes, if it needs doing under warranty they can do it as well as PVT

Crust
crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #11
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetol View Post
why are pro twins so special you have to pay a premium to get your bike to run properly?
I'm feeling mellow tonight. I know from personal experience that it takes more effort and expense to get a 130bhp bike consistantly running to it's capability than a 55bhp commuter like my Xt.

My point was that people may want to spend more money on their bike than the strict service schedule dictates. They don't have to, but they might choose to.

We don't really know anything about chiefs bike other than something cost £700 and he's got a problem with his clutch. Hence my questions.

Last edited by JerryXt; 12-11-2007 at 09:38 PM..
JerryXt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:13 PM   #12
Rusty35

Pro-Twins

Was just about to buy a S2R from Pro-Twins! Mmmmmmm! Also is it true if I fit Leovince Cans after I have broken the bike in will this make my warranty void as they are not a Ducati product etc...? and can anyone advise on Leovince, Pro-Twins say that the welding is far supperior?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:31 PM   #13
Bodybag

If you want a good service centre, and you're not worried about warranty issues (which I believe they still have to honour as ong as the bike has been serviced, regardless of who by) then I would recommend Proteam in Wimbledon. 0208 9477 555. They're both really helpful and friendly. And its the only people I would take my bike to in London for service work.

Hope this helps.

Phil
Old 13-11-2007, 06:19 AM   #14
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

ProTwins will honour the warranty if they fit a set of cans to a bike.
Old 13-11-2007, 06:57 AM   #15
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by crust View Post
if it was my bike, I wouldn't go back there

if you're not happy, go to a dealer who will make you happy, you may have to travel but its not often and the peace of mind is worth it.

why not take it to

Snells, they're in Alton, a nice ride out to Hamps

or

Moto Rapido, they're in Winchester

both have good reps, both are enthusiastic.

Take your bike to them, dont mention your past problems - it wont help and may put them off, ask them if they'll have a look at your bike and can they help

You'll be pleasantly surprised by their attitudes, if it needs doing under warranty they can do it as well as PVT

Crust
I'd do what Crust says - spot on advice.
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote