UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Sureal goings on at the rear!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #30
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
[QUOTE=slob;570923]It’s normal to have more wear at the leading edge of a pad. /QUOTE]

Maybe so. But I think that wedge shaped pads have something to do with the wheel locking going backwards phenomenon?

Looking again at the calliper picture, and zooming right in to the damaged area, I can see what might be marks from an engineering vice or metalwork vice, but as mentioned these could only be made when the calliper halves are split.
If you look below the red ringed area, to where the body halves meet, you may notice an abrasion which looks consistent with contact with the edge of the disc. It appears to be on the same plane as the ringed damage.
If these marks are caused by contact with the disc, surely they must have been made, either with no pad present or with extremely worn pads, as the pad pictured appears to be higher than the damaged area whilst being hard against the back of the calliper body? So the pad is preventing the disc from touching the damaged area.

Howsoever caused, if it is the disc that has contacted the calliper to make these marks then something is seriously amiss. I suggest that maybe the wheel has been turned with no pads and the calliper bolts only very loosely in position, or with the wheel spindle not tightened up... Hopefully it was not ridden in this (presumed) condition!