UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » Hiya. Advice needed please

Old 16-02-2006, 10:11 PM   #1
Monkey Boy

Question Hiya. Advice needed please

Hi all.

Picking up a '97 M600 at the end of March (previously owned a CBr6 and Bandit 12, been riding bikes since 1992 on and off) and I am asking advice on fitting a tacho.

While a tacho is not essential, it would help as I am deaf and a v-twin vibes more than a straight four

Have been doing some research into this and Datatool do a Rev Light? Does anyone know if this is any good and how easy it is to install. Alternatively, what about fitting a combined speedo and tacho unit - I have seen a few on eBay.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 16-02-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
Fosse Foxfight

No need

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Boy
Hi all.

Picking up a '97 M600 at the end of March (previously owned a CBr6 and Bandit 12, been riding bikes since 1992 on and off) and I am asking advice on fitting a tacho.

While a tacho is not essential, it would help as I am deaf and a v-twin vibes more than a straight four

Have been doing some research into this and Datatool do a Rev Light? Does anyone know if this is any good and how easy it is to install. Alternatively, what about fitting a combined speedo and tacho unit - I have seen a few on eBay.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Don't bother MB, its not needed especially on a 600, even if you are mutton, you'll feel the harshness before you do any damage...if its for your own peace of mind and an aide to riding then fine.

Sean
Old 16-02-2006, 10:35 PM   #3
Monkey Boy

Thanks for the info, S.

So, the bike will shake uncontrollably before it hits the redline? Do you know where the powerband is on the M600? Certainly not at the top end, I believe.

Cheers
Old 16-02-2006, 10:39 PM   #4
Pugi

Hi and congratulations to your new toy.
I'm not trying to make fun of your impairment, but I can't help thinking that deaf bikers might be less subjected to accidents since they surely keep a better lookout than hearing bikers?
Am I completely off base or could there be a grain of sense in my trail of thought?
Old 16-02-2006, 10:43 PM   #5
Fosse Foxfight

Powerwhat?

Quote:
Do you know where the powerband is on the M600?
Weeehehehe, think more elastic than power....oh and hail and well met and all that bollox.

ta ra

Last edited by Fosse Foxfight; 16-02-2006 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: The Crazy World of Arthur Brown
Old 16-02-2006, 10:44 PM   #6
Monkey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugi
Hi and congratulations to your new toy.
I'm not trying to make fun of your impairment, but I can't help thinking that deaf bikers might be less subjected to accidents since they surely keep a better lookout than hearing bikers?
Am I completely off base or could there be a grain of sense in my trail of thought?
Hee.

No idea. Not had any accidents involving another vehicle in my 14 years of riding ( and I have been known to be reckless in my younger years). I guess, you just don't hear the buggers in their tin cans honk at you when you cut through them in traffic. Also, I guess when you lose your hearing (I got meningitis at 5) your other senses become heightened!

Not thought about it at all, mate!
Old 16-02-2006, 10:47 PM   #7
Tigerlily

Just found this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo
Datatool Revlight, about £30 - £40 on ebay. Works a treat, pick up from one of the coils, programmable for rpm progressively or as a shift light, auto dims at night.

This was in "Kits and accessories"....Someone else had asked the same question! Hope it helps

Welcome to the club btw. You won't find a nicer bunch of nutters anywhere else one the net!
You're not too far from me, hope to see you out and about sometime

Last edited by Tigerlily; 16-02-2006 at 10:49 PM..
Old 16-02-2006, 10:51 PM   #8
Monkey Boy

Thanks for that, TL.

Will see how I get on. Am sure will have no problems - just worried about over-revving it (especially as Fosse says it is 'gay' )
Old 16-02-2006, 10:53 PM   #9
Tigerlily

You're welcome

I worry about the same thing too but Ive not broken mine yet!
Old 16-02-2006, 11:49 PM   #10
nick40

tacho

Hi Mate

Welcome to the club, I fitted a clock and tacho set about 6 months ago to my m900, not becouse of any other reason than the original set up looks crap ( in my opinion) cost about £140 from spareshack, easy to fit and looks and works brill. You need to use your existing speedo and just plug the tacho into your electrics. Hope this helps PM if you need any help

Nick
Old 16-02-2006, 11:52 PM   #11
steviej

Post As Smooth as Bob Harris.................

Quote:
...........Do you know where the powerband is on the M600?
Cheers
Y'OK matey; you'll find the powerband next to the broadband. ??

It's relitavely constant, no matter how fast you need to go

Have fun, see you around!!!!
Old 17-02-2006, 08:55 AM   #12
Tigerlily

Hope you don't mind......

I thought I'd move this to the Technical forum.

It might be spotted by someone with a bit more info in here
Old 22-02-2006, 05:30 PM   #13
Monkey Boy

Anyone have a tacho unit?

If anyone has a tacho unit they no longer need or is surplus to requirements please PM me. Must fit a 97 M600. Have decided to get one fitted.

Cheers.
Old 22-02-2006, 05:35 PM   #14
Monkey Boy

Would something like this work?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...pcode=BIKTAC01

If so, what about the ratio that needs to be set?

Thanks in advance.

Iain
Old 22-02-2006, 09:20 PM   #15
Shandy

Quote:
Would something like this work?

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...pcode=BIKTAC01

If so, what about the ratio that needs to be set?

Thanks in advance.

Iain
Not sure about that, depends how it connects/compatability and all that. All the tacho's ive seen for monsters pick off the ignition circuit somewhere.

I've got an LED jobbie and from the sounds of things it's maybe similar to the one 'nick40' has. It comes ready fitted with plugs and stuff and connects to one of the ignition units, so nice and easy to fit, looks good too as it fills a sort of gap on the dash bit. Its a bit more money than the 'Datatool rev light' mentioned above but it all depends if looks matter to you. One small problem is it can be a bit bright and anoying at night as it doesn't dim down any.

I'll take a picture tomorrow so you can see for yourself.

Cheers,

Shandy