UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » I want! » Fast idle / cold start mech

Old 04-12-2015, 10:12 AM   #16
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Aha, but I have an fcr plan you see.
In fact today might just be the glorious day when I order them.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #17
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Aha, but I have an fcr plan you see.
In fact today might just be the glorious day when I order them.
Nice one Jeff, a racked pair I presume? if so you won't need the same motion-pro throttle assembly that split singles are supplied with - 2 cables (opener + closer) that split into 2, giving a total of 4 cables, i.e. 2 to each carb, whereas (I believe) the racked pair just have the one cable assembly with opener and closer to the one carb/cam.

Don't know if standard Monster cables fit? but I would think it still has the same sized cam as the single carbs meaning the action will be the same, although it might not be so heavy due to less springs?

I grafted the 2 opener cables onto the 916 single cable, using one of the motion pro splitters to get it to fit.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:22 PM   #18
Drumnagorrach

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Yep, that looks like the jobbie that I hope I've just bought.

Discussing this with Capo, I learned that there are three different types of cold start devices on injected monsters.
The earliest has a separate cold start lever on the left handlebar.
The next has the throttle with cold start advance button.
And the latest has it all controlled by the ecu.
It would seem that you have the latter type, Drum, and our thoughts were that it would be best to look for a fault therein before bypassing the issue with one of the other systems added in.
Then again, you're probably well aware of that anyway and I guess there's no particular harm in fitting the button and it might "solve" the problem in the short term.
I dunno what sensor/s it uses but I imagine the intended benefit of the ecu controlled system is that it can vary the amount of "cold start" according to maybe ambient conditions and/or engine temp or idle speed.
I'd be inclined to look for a problem with a sensor of that ilk somewhere.
While also bidding on the button throttle if it doesn't go sky high.

Tim, the throttle tamer looks interesting.
I'll see how I get on but I might just end up with one myself.

Also, is that a Corbin seat ?
I don't remember that before.
Looks just like mine, actually.
Personally, I think the pillion scoop on the Corbin (sans cowl) really suits the lines of the monster, better than the std seat either naked or cowled.

Apologies for thread digression.
Agreed, I think I may have to reset the tps ,just on with getting an old android phone equipped with SCANMX5 to connect via OBD 2 and a fiat cable ,then I can read out the values from the temp sensors and compare with ambient.
The phone hasn't a very good processor being a cheap galaxy pocket ,but I am almost there .
I have untill Sunday to bid for the twistgrip and /or get connected to ecu , and I am not duty engineer this weekend so I might get the peace to fettle it.
Nice handlebar set up .
Old 04-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #19
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
There's a PC version you can download free:-

http://jpdiag.akress.com/

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 04:07 PM   #20
Drumnagorrach

I know all about Guzzi throttles Dukedesmo, had a carbed Sport 1100 with 40mm delortos , the T3 Cali and later on a Cali 3 I had , weren't as bad . The sport was an absolute nightmare on cold wet mornings ,spluttering and suddenly clearing and hurtling forward ,no fun in traffic.
Haven't got Guzzi's out of my system , still would like a V11 Tenni or Lemon.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:47 PM   #21
Drumnagorrach

Thanks Chaps for all your contributions on this one.
I got the 999 twistgrip re utopias link, it is directly interchangeable ,so much so that I only used the rear section of the casing with the button even the tube and cam is the same .
AND.... It works really well.
This reminds me of NASA developing a pen to write in zero gravity ,and the Russians using pencils .
b.t.w. I saw a S2R on Tuesday at moto Meccanica ( for sale ) in Aberdeen ,same reg as mine and it had a left handlebar mounted fast idle lever and rectangular master cylinders .
Ducati seems a bit random in it's component choice !
Old 11-12-2015, 10:17 PM   #22
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Excellent.
And your experience bodes well for my own FCR conversion with single throttle cable using the same unit ..... I think.

Unfortunately, the throttle I got has the location pin filed off and (worse, but probably consequential) a hairline crack in the housing.
However, with a bit of ingenuity, a small grubscrew strategically placed and the discount that I am currently negotiating, I'm still hopeful for a satisfactory result.
Old 12-12-2015, 08:46 AM   #23
Drumnagorrach

Well its a direct fit on my bike,but my issue wasnt starting. Starting is taken care of by the ecu,which works fine.My problem came after 4 or 5 seconds ,when my icv closes down to idle and cant manage untill the engine is warmer ,hence the button to keep it going for the next few minutes while I get my gear on .
With your FCR's , will you not only need to open the slides but also richen the mix to start ?
Old 12-12-2015, 01:43 PM   #24
utopia
No turn left unstoned

The FCRs have no choke.
But they do have accelerator pumps, so a couple of twists of the throttle before starting provides the necessary extra richness.

I'm somewhat following Dukedesmo's lead but I've always thought that my std carbs could use a fast idle provision, just so I can leave it warming up from cold without my hand on the throttle.
While I'm fitting the FCRs, and since they need a different throttle anyway, and since I fancy the simplicity of a single cable throttle (which the stronger return springs on the FCRs will allow) I thought it was well worth a try.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:05 PM   #25
Drumnagorrach

Yes , accelerator pumps will do it , give you a strong right arm too .
Solution, buy a Guzzi sport 1100 , the clutch and throttle will build up both arms ,then with forearms like Popeye the Ducati will feel light and effortless.
Old 13-12-2015, 08:31 PM   #26
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumnagorrach View Post
Yes , accelerator pumps will do it , give you a strong right arm too .
Solution, buy a Guzzi sport 1100 , the clutch and throttle will build up both arms ,then with forearms like Popeye the Ducati will feel light and effortless.
Indeed, my recently acquired LeMans certainly requires 'firm' inputs on all the controls - makes my Ducatis feel like girls bikes...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote