UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » £700 for first 12 month service!!!!

Old 08-06-2004, 05:04 PM   #1
Julie

£700 for first 12 month service!!!!

my 620 is going in for its first service on sturday and i asked how much they thought it would cost.
£140 rear tyre
£75 to fit scottoiler
£485 for my service and they are not even changing the belts!!!

I had a 12000 mile service on ruths inc blet change and pads and value stuff a few months ago and that only cost £360...so why is my new bike costing so bloody much?

Has anyone else had a 12 month service on a new 620 with say 5000 miles on it , if so how much did it cost you?

Please help i think i'll have to sell Ruth on e-bay to pay for it!
Old 08-06-2004, 05:35 PM   #2
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie & Ruth

Let's not get too hasty here

Kimbo........getting ready with a bid
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 05:39 PM   #3
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Big ouch!!!
You may be stuck with the actual service, maybe phone around a few other Ducati dealers, you may be surprised at the difference in quotes!!
£75 to fit a scottoiler isn't bad, assuming it includes the purchase of the scotoiler, they're £70 to buy.
The tyre you can get cheaper elsewhere, as an example I pay just under £100 for a rear Diablo, fitted to a loose wheel and balanced, plus £10 if you want them to take the wheel off and refit it.
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 05:48 PM   #4
Dave Pearson

Just had my S4's 12 month service done (3,500 miles) at Bridge Motorcycles and it cost £265.
£485 sounds a bit OTT!
I shall be glad when my warranty period is up so that I can get it serviced properly at a reasonable price.

Dave
Old 08-06-2004, 06:55 PM   #5
slob

I had a 24 month service done at DLS, which was nearly £500, including belts and I'd expect to be paying a bit extra in 'London prices'.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 07:06 PM   #6
fatbloke

Quote:
How Much for Ruth?
Old 08-06-2004, 07:09 PM   #7
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbloke
How Much for Ruth?
Hey,get in the queue

Kimbo :lol:
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 08:07 PM   #8
Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo
Big ouch!!!
You may be stuck with the actual service, maybe phone around a few other Ducati dealers, you may be surprised at the difference in quotes!!
£75 to fit a scottoiler isn't bad, assuming it includes the purchase of the scotoiler, they're £70 to buy.
The tyre you can get cheaper elsewhere, as an example I pay just under £100 for a rear Diablo, fitted to a loose wheel and balanced, plus £10 if you want them to take the wheel off and refit it.
£75 is just for fitting the scottoiler i bought the thing at the BMF for £65.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:08 PM   #9
Julie

Ruth will be for sale on e-bay on sunday. I'll sed you both the link!
Old 08-06-2004, 08:31 PM   #10
Keabs

I would ask them, nice and politely to give you a breakdown of the work they will be doing for the £485. The will normally reply with something like "the work that's listed in the ducati service book".

At which point you say "thank you, now how many hours labour is that please? What's your hourly rate, and what parts does this cost cover?"

(normally this will be 4 litres of oil and an oil filter - approx £65 and £10 respectively at dealer prices). If they add extra parts on that list, such as brake pads or fluid, ask why your brakes need doing at only 5,000 miles.

Whatever list you get from them, post it here and we'll dissect it and give you the lowdonw on how much they may be trying to shaft you . . . . .

hope this helps. . .

Oh, and p.s. you really shouldn't be paying more than £350 for a 5k service, tops. . .
Old 08-06-2004, 08:36 PM   #11
A Yerbury

damn, I prefer you julie!
Alex, owner of camels and dowry to include duchy of lambeth.
seriously though that does seem high, Im sure u could fit scotty oil. we have account with michelin I could find out about trade prices (Ill just say its for mine).
AY.
Old 08-06-2004, 08:41 PM   #12
Piggy

Cool

I paid £291.69 for 12 months service on my 620 at Riders in Bridgwater last year, I had done less miles than you have. I am now due for 24 months service & am dreading the cost. getting a new Dunlop D205 fitted tomorrow at local tyre fitter,£102 fitted to loose wheel!
Old 08-06-2004, 08:54 PM   #13
Dave Pearson

Piggy....try Bridge Motorcycles Exeter, still expensive...but cheaper than Riders.

Dave
Old 08-06-2004, 08:56 PM   #14
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Quote:
£75 is just for fitting the scottoiler i bought the thing at the BMF for £65.
In that case it's outrageous, they don't take long to fit and are fairly easy. If they're charging that for labour to fit it no wonder your service quote is so high.
Fit the scotoiler yourself, it's easy, the parts you need are in the kit, and the instructions are pretty good. If you're not confident in your abilities I'm sure someone here local to you would help you. Failing that, get your local bike shop to do it, their labour rates will be half your Ducati dealer's.
Get the tyre done elsewhere, the dealer's price is taking the ****.
Finally, good advice re asking for a breakdown of the work they're going to do, they're having a giraffe at your expense. Ring round a cople of other dealers for quotes as well, and don't be afraid to play them off against each other.

Finally, do the dealers really charge £65 for four litres of oil?? That's over double the cost of shell advance synthetic in a high street shop, and almost certainly double what they sell it for on their own retail floor! A genuine oil filter is a fiver from a main dealer. I really can't see how they can possibly justify that sort of money!!
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 09:19 PM   #15
Piggy

I`ve just dug out the invoice from last service it breaks down to, £13.68 for Fuel Filter,
£5.44 for Oil Filter, £25.45 for Oil,£0.37 for2 Washers & a Massive £246.75 for Labour !!!.
I have yet to get a quote for the 24 month service but as the bike has done less than 6000 Miles does any one know if i still have to have the belts replaced?