UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Guzzi 1100 custom build

Old 02-12-2022, 10:33 AM   #91
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Absolutely awesome ... as is every build you lay your hands on.
And, as has already been mentioned, the detail work is (always) even more awesome.
Whatever you build next, please keep us informed.

And on the hugger .. from the angle of the photo I would say that aesthetically speaking it looks like it could do with one, although other views may show it off differently.
Something to do with it being twin-shock, I think.
If you do fit one it would have to be ally though.
English wheel for christmas ??
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 09:50 AM   #92
buzzer

Bike: M900
So its start-up time…* I had a good spark, but I wasn’t sure if it was on the right cylinder as I hadn’t made a note on the coils… so it was a 50% chance it would start…* It did!* It quickly settled to a nice tick over, but I had to shut it down as I am missing the “0” rings off the sensors and they leaked oil.* I have been waiting a week for them, bloody Royal Mail strikes!

With any fresh engine build I have a routine I stick to that has served me well over the years…* first thing I do is remove the oil switch and pump oil into the engine.* I use a plastic pump up bottle for this.* This primes all the oilways, fills the filter, fills the oil pump, and oozes out of all the bearings.* I prefer this to engine building paste, which I am not a fan of…* I do use a smear of it on the cams and followers though…

The other thing I do is screw in a pressure gauge.* I was pleased to see that it immediately shot up, which is always a relief.* This has saved me a couple of times in the past…* Once when the pressure relief valve in a new oil pump was stuck, and the gauge went off the scale…* the other time was my fault when I put an oil pickup pipe joint on wrong, and the joint itself covered the pipe hole…* started it up and initial pressure then nothing… that gauge is a lifesaver!

Old 04-12-2022, 03:22 PM   #93
buzzer

well how annoying is that [bang] [bang] I noticed the section of one pipe was going blue... checked it and its magnetic! looks like the supplier mixed in a piece of Mild Steel in with the stainless! Oh well, new piece is on its way

Old 06-12-2022, 12:56 PM   #94
buzzer

well this build comes almost to an end, I am sure there will be some snagging to do, but that can be done in Spring when I can ride it! I will post a video of it running as soon as we have a nice day. Here is is with the last couple of builds I have kept as I liked how these ride!

Its time to start the next Build… I have another Multistrada at the back of the garage which I will wheel out soon and make a start on that… this has some nice parts on it and should make a great bike, not sure on the style of this one yet, I guess it will evolve over the coming months.. Have to say I have really enjoyed the Guzzi build, a refreshing change to Ducati’s as the next one will be Ducati number 10 build!

So apart from a video at some point its goodbye from me on this thread and I hope you have all enjoyed my ramblings

Old 06-12-2022, 09:26 PM   #95
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Keep them coming - love your work and your explanations of how you do it
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 07:37 AM   #96
Jam911

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Loving your work !!
Jam911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2022, 05:17 PM   #97
buzzer

The front under the headlight didn’t look right, so I made a plate and etched a Guzzi badge on it, I am still amazed how well the etching works!

Here is the video of it running, followed by some photos that tell the story of its build… Its -5 this afternoon on the drive, so It wont be up the road for a while!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfrFwwEUpfk

Old 30-04-2023, 04:46 PM   #98
buzzer

I thought I would update... I have been putting a fair few miles on the Guzzi... It runs really well and pulls like a train! the ride is a little hard and I may well change the rear shocks though...

However, not everything on a build like this goes to plan… I have been doing a fair few long and fast runs and after one very spirited run I noticed oil coming out the breather… looks like the one I made didn’t work. I set about a completer re-design, and made one out of alloy sheet. Here is the result. I have given it a good thrashing and all is now well!

Old 08-05-2023, 02:12 PM   #99
buzzer

Here is the finished Guzzi.

I did spend some time tweaking the ignition, but I have to say that it was pretty close with the advance curve it came with it from Ignitech. It took a couple of days to sort the jetting out on the carbs, but what’s nice is they are easy to get at to change jets, and these carbs came with the slow air screws as opposed to slow air jets which makes life easier. I have a quiet road where I go, rather than annoy the neighbours where I can ride up and down, do plug chops and adjustments.

To help others if they do simmilar, The jetting I ended up with is as follows:-

#155 main jet, #50 pilot jet, ELS needle (4th groove from the top) I started with an ELT needle but had a slight fluff at 1/8 throttle so changed to ELS and it cured it.

here's to a warm dry summer!

Old 08-05-2023, 03:49 PM   #100
Moco1961

Another great build Tony,thanks for sharing, what’s next I wonder, that plane could do with some tlc !
Old 09-05-2023, 01:12 PM   #101
jerry
Old Git

where is the battery hidden ????, bike looks stunning
Old 09-05-2023, 10:18 PM   #102
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
Funnily enough I was going to ask that but re-read the the thread and found it's under the gearbox,a popular place to put it as far as I can remember when people custom built their Guzzis.You can just make it out in Tony's photo,great build Tony
walkingpictures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 06:54 AM   #103
900Rebuilder

I'm going to guess its laying down under the swingarm pivot.
Old 11-05-2023, 07:08 AM   #104
jerry
Old Git

I can see the battery box now in the photo under swing arm pivot , very neat
Old 11-05-2023, 08:46 AM   #105
mickj

Bike: M1200s
It's in the same place as the 1200 monster, great for looks but a bugger to get at.