UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Need advice from you guys!!

Old 02-07-2023, 03:08 AM   #1
DavidGrimes

Bike: S2r
Need advice from you guys!!

I've been following these sites on and off for a long but have never posted, so hello. I've always wanted a Monster and will be looking into an S2r soon. Any specific tips on what to look for aside from the obvious? I'm aware of belts, SSS hubs, and the likes of bearings, but is there anything else special to the S2r?
Also, what is a credible web source for components, as belts on the bike I'm looking at were supposedly last done three years ago, despite having very little mileage on them? I anticipate that a thorough service will be required, which I will provide myself.
DavidGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:23 AM   #2
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Welcome to the forum David. We will need to see a picture of your bike when you get it. Good luck with your search.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:43 AM   #3
boris
More Tools!

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Welcome to the Forum - great choice, and good luck with the bike search.
New York eh! Here's me thinking you were posting from the village near Whitley Bay (Tyne & Wear, UK).
Old 02-07-2023, 09:23 AM   #4
slob

Have you asked the guys and gals at Gotham DOC?
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 12:22 PM   #5
stopintime

800/1000cc?

800 brakes are weak, but can be upgraded to those found on 1000/S4R/996.

(800) Almost everything under the right side engine cover are disasters waiting to happen. Primary driven gear have heavy springs embedded. Primary drive gears are dual mass, with tiny springs. Both fail often. Can be replaced with older bike parts at a reasonable cost. Sooner than later.

When I had my 800 rebuild, blue printed and tuned, there was NO measurable wear anywhere - at 35,000 miles. Despite my many many attempts to destroy it.

These bikes can handle quite a lot and quite a few miles. The electronics will not like pressure washing, but will ususally handle rain. Don't let it live outside though.
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 12:51 PM   #6
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

The S2R is a great bike, the 800 one of the sweetest monsters out there. Other than the usual, the slipper clutch assembly has springs that can break, but I would say if they were going to it would have happened early, other than that it's just condition, check the tank hasn't swollen excessively from water in fuel (they grow a little in length, make sure you can still get the tank catch on and off).
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:07 PM   #7
Nickj

So the primary problem is the tank swelling, if it hasn't it will, if it has it may not get much more out of shape. There isn't an answer to this other than a new tank which you won't be able to find or replacement with a custom metal tank.
The clutch, if it's OK will probably remain OK. Don't start worrying about it.
The brakes are adequate, just don't use any sintered pads, go for soft organics. I am using Brenta pads on mine cheap enough to replace regularly and they work fine. The rear is a perenial pain, though it was on all of the 750's I had, they trap air and get a bit useless. Saying they are weak is when you compare them to something else, usually a higher spec system which is a bit like me complaining that my Duster isn't as quick as next door Audi.
The suspension, rear certainly will be getting a bit tired but if you change that the front will show it's flaws (no adjustment of anything). You can get full internal replacements which make the front much better (adreani misano units) OK it's a transformation but then the back shows itself up as not brilliant so you either live with it or change it too so you can spend about 1K on the suspension. BUT the base set up is good enough as is. No where near as good as say my 748R's but then that has race grade suspension so it isn't going to be!!
The exhaust system will probably be non-standard, ditching the 'udder' is possibly the most common change you'll find and after-market silencers are often found. Mine has Termis and are quite nice tucked onto the end of a de-uddered system.
And of course the controvesial tail chop, mine has been and I think it makes the bike look massively shorter and even more 'insecty' I know an odd description but it works in my head (it is a very strange place LOL)
If the bike is clean and tidy then it'll be a good bet. Without doing too much, belts are the main thing, it will work and it will be fine. Don't sweat about the valves as unless there's lots of wear they won't change too much, worth having checked though.

If you don't like something about it then change it, it is very difficult to find a totally standard old style monster, something has always been done to them.
Things done to S2R's ...
The most common is to loose the udder, google it or look at original pictures
Upgrade to goldlines or even radials, not uncommon but a pain as you needed different discs through to fork legs for radials. I have some spare goldlines but haven't bothered, but they'll look very nice when I do if I do.
If you plan to go out in the dark the original light unit is not the best, I have a completely LED based replacement unit... BUT you'll need a mount ring as most lights units or reflecters are smaller so won't fit Luckily Mr Gazza hopefully still has a few rings he made which are great.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:10 PM   #8
Nickj

Belts... Ca Cycleworks ExactFit are good and better priced than OEM. You'll toss them every 2 years so it doesn't make too much difference really as long as the tensions good they last that time.
Old 18-07-2023, 07:58 PM   #9
jerry
Old Git

Good quality modern belts for 2v will last more than 2 years more like 4 , I have had 5 aircooled Ducs and no issues the older belts more than 15 years ago would need replacing every 2 years

4v motor like S4 yes they still need new belts every 2 years as they run very hot and rev higher ,