UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » 1100 Evo mods - an addicts tale

Old 21-05-2023, 10:26 AM   #166
walkingpictures
preneolithic frebie

Bike: S4Rs
That's a lovely looking set up Vince,I like the black chain,can't remember ever seeing one like that!!

Kimbo
walkingpictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 10:55 AM   #167
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Thanks for sharing your experiences with aluminium sprockets, Mr G and DD, I'll be keeping a close eye on it! I think I read that Rental sprockets fit the AEM carrier but, of course, they're still aluminium. JT sprockets look the same design and they're steel so I might try one when it's time to change (can always send it back if ordered online).

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 10:58 AM   #168
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopintime View Post
How much slack do you use?
I'll run the stock slack, maybe slightly less to take into account the larger sprocket. I may disconnect the shock and move the swingarm through its travel to see what the best clearance is.

Old 21-05-2023, 11:00 AM   #169
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingpictures View Post
That's a lovely looking set up Vince,I like the black chain,can't remember ever seeing one like that!!

Kimbo
I think it's a relatively new design, Kimbo, which means that in a couple of years it'll probably look very old-fashioned!
Old 21-05-2023, 01:30 PM   #170
stopintime

Bike: S2r
I've seen several 696-1100 bikes with the "normal" +/- 30mm. The construction (with the engine mounted higher in the frame) confuse even workshops.

The relatively large slack with a 'dancing/jumping' chain is why the chain 'bites' a little on the front of the swingarm protection plastic shoe. It's not the sprocket size. My 14t S2R shows no wear after 230.000km.

You can move the swingarm through it's travel by the use of a ratchet strap if you want to avoid removing the shock. More people should find 'ground zero' using that method. When I tighten the strap to the point where front sprocket-swingarm axle-wheel axle are alligned (and the chain tightest) I set the chain at ~10mm there. When I remove the strap I can read "my" correct slack. On my bike it's ~38 instead of stock ~32 due to my custom suspension and geometry.
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2023, 04:01 PM   #171
Luddite

The chain is now securely rivetted, (I'd forgotten what a faff that is ), next job is cam belts.

In the meantime...

I'm not usually one for red anodised bits but I had enough Carbon Racing loyalty points from my sprocket purchase to get this for nothing*. I think it's quite subtle and goes well with the pinstriping.

Nice to have the torque setting on there now my memory is failing!

And another 1 gram saved too!

*I say "for nothing" but you'll note that the new wheel nut is bi-hex so I did have to buy a 12 point socket to suit.

PS yes I know the security clip is missing - the wheel's coming off again for a new tyre.
Old 22-05-2023, 10:30 AM   #172
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
The chain is now securely rivetted, (I'd forgotten what a faff that is ), next job is cam belts.

In the meantime...

I'm not usually one for red anodised bits but I had enough Carbon Racing loyalty points from my sprocket purchase to get this for nothing*. I think it's quite subtle and goes well with the pinstriping.

Nice to have the torque setting on there now my memory is failing!

And another 1 gram saved too!

*I say "for nothing" but you'll note that the new wheel nut is bi-hex so I did have to buy a 12 point socket to suit.

PS yes I know the security clip is missing - the wheel's coming off again for a new tyre.
Bi-hex? Does that mean it turns both ways?
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 02:22 PM   #173
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post

Old 22-05-2023, 02:25 PM   #174
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
Six of one and half a dozen of the other ?
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 07:12 PM   #175
crawsue
Bronze Member

Is there no end to this expense…? I heard of a guy who would only buy red bikes…..his missus didn’t have clue that he had changed bikes…..all she knew was “ he’s got a red one “…..!
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 10:26 PM   #176
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawsue View Post
Is there no end to this expense…? I heard of a guy who would only buy red bikes…..his missus didn’t have clue that he had changed bikes…..all she knew was “ he’s got a red one “…..!
Now that's crafty!
Old 22-05-2023, 10:29 PM   #177
Luddite

The next bit of TLC for the Evo is a fresh set of cambelts courtesy of that nice Stu at Exact UK www.exactuk.com

I've set out a step-by-step guide here for anyone who also wants to change their Evo's belts.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...d.php?p=598583

Last edited by Luddite; 22-05-2023 at 10:37 PM..
Old 22-05-2023, 10:41 PM   #178
Luddite

Oh, and the belt change was the perfect baptism for my new Machine Mart hydraulic bike lift.

I've been promising myself one for years and what a treat - no more back ache or scrabbling around on the ground!
Old 23-05-2023, 01:16 PM   #179
crawsue
Bronze Member

Excellent work Vince, indeed a very comprehensive guide…is it a “Sticky” ?
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2023, 11:01 AM   #180
Luddite

So I picked this up yesterday from those very nice Craig and Luke at Moto Rapido - a set of Rizoma MA006 bars.

I'd been considering changing the bars ever since I fitted the individual risers back in 2018 so decided it was about time I did something about it. http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...2&postcount=76

Despite all the various aluminium bits and bobs I've fitted to the Evo, this is actually the first Rizoma item I've ever bought. I must say I'm very impressed with the quality with a nice, thick black anodised wrinkle finish, which matches well the rear subframe and lower yoke. I also like the black/silver combination of bars and risers that matches the Ducati Performance reservoir caps.

The Rizoma bars are pretty much the same width as standard and have a height of 30mm, which, as far as I can measure, is about the same as the OEM bars. The difference is that the Rizomas sweep back towards the rider a bit more than standard and aren't angled down like the originals.

With my 7mm higher CNC Racing risers, the bars fit with no problems - cables and hoses are fine, (the left switchgear wiring is just long enough). I've had the front wheel off the ground and the brake hose has enough length to accommodate the suspension topping out.

I have had to sacrifice a tiny bit of steering lock as the slightly higher switchgear no longer sits within the air intake cutouts, but that's not a problem.

With the new bars, I've taken the opportunity to rotate both the switches and levers forward slightly so they suit my riding position better. (That also lost me a little steering lock thanks to the base of the switchgear being closer to the tank but it feels much better from the saddle.)

I haven't ridden it yet as I'm about to fit a new rear tyre but, what with that tyre, the new chain, sprockets and cush drives AND these bars, I'm really looking forward to the first test ride!

Here's the evolution of the Evo: top is standard; middle is CNC Racing risers with OEM bars and bottom is how it is now.