UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Back with a M900 series I

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 26-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #61
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Use the old steel plates to hold the drum. Line them up and drill some holes to bolt them together then bolt a bar to them to hold it steady. That nut is much easier to get undone with an air gun
Old 26-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #62
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD View Post
Bit expensive for a one or two of really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis menace View Post
Has anyone tried this:
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...-hub-drum-tool

At £6.82 it sounds too good to be true, and probably is!
I saw this one but says made of composite which I take is recycled battery plastics etc. Maybe worth a cheap punt as it has a built in damper in the plastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post

I would like to make one if I had some spare spacer rings to use but my spacers are not being drilled because they are fine and within tolerance. Not spending money on plates and spacers as they are another £50 plus to the bill.

Seat brackets now remade in steel as per original spec as near as dam it with the kink in to make the seat cowl sit flush with the seat. Once coloured zinc plated will all look good.

Why doesn't the cowl come across to the join line. A mistake by ducati design I think.

Slob kindly sent me a bolt for the footrest. Its not quite the right size Allen key hole but it will at least remind me that this one has an earth connected to the back with a nut so make sure you don't try undoing without removing it first like I did.

The nut on the back is hard to notice from the front or even the back.

That's all folks but tomorrow should be picking up some correct front discs to refurbish the centres and have a matching pair. And get some tips on the clutch and engine related stuff from a well known expert.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 08:01 PM   #63
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Kato many thanks

I was at work today so made a detour to see Kato for a number of reasons.

Good to catch up as always
He graciously GAVE me a pair of early front discs suitable for my 900 as 1 was odd.
I so wanted to see this Hybrid Monster bike.

Got there just as Moto GP was about to start so rude not to accept the sofa a dog companion ( that allegedly farts ) and a cup of tea.
Was quite weird sitting with Rossi's greatest fan and him winning .. Great race though to the end.

Out to see this lightweight bike and wow it certainly is light and dripping in goodies we can only dream about. I cant wait to see it running around somewhere and boy if its that light it should handle well.

Anyhow I got gifted these front discs by Kato and really appreciate it as it helps me make it at least look right with that odd front. Now the only down side was they were well grubby and needed cleaning up as also covered in Knight Racing orange paint spatter over 2 sides.
Not perfect by anyone's means but you know me and like to clean up cr4p components to as new.

So got back to work and got home around 5pm and Caroline went out on a hens do so best get in the garage and attack them.

1 hour later they are at least respectable and need minor flattening levelling around the bolting holes before a good respray. I must make sure the holes are cleaned out too as paint can flake in those places but there is plenty of meat left and no distortion.

Does anyone know a good colour match paint offhand similar to brembo colour.

Before cleaning. Note the orange tinge.

After phase 1 clean up.

The disc that's wrong from a later model. Will be cleaned up as will other side as a spare

Old 27-06-2015, 10:14 PM   #64
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
looking nice can I have them back now..................

Oh and tossii didn't win he cheated and cut the corner just after trying to knock Marc off

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 10:29 PM   #65
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
looking nice can I have them back now..................

Oh and tossii didn't win he cheated and cut the corner just after trying to knock Marc off
You are welcome to having the Knight Racing orange paint back.

Moto 3 race was cracking as per usual.

Thanks again mate and get that bike finished and make a Date for Belgium in 2016
Old 28-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #66
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
BMW "Solid Gold" matches the brembo carriers.....Wait a minute I'll get you some numbers for that..
Old 28-06-2015, 03:12 PM   #67
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Thanks. I will try and put some notes together in the hope that if any one needs info in the future can read what we think is good colour guide.
Old 28-06-2015, 04:32 PM   #68
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I have the number 859 for the BMW Solid Gold..

Not sure if that is a BS or what, definatly not a RAL, but if you go to an automotive paint establishment and ask for BMW Solid Gold 859, they will be able to cross reference if neccesary and mix the right stuff.

As you probably know, most of the paint suppliers can mix it and put it in an aerosol for around the twelve quid mark, depending on the mix....reckon an aerosol should just about do a couple of carriers....Good luck with the masking..
Old 28-06-2015, 06:35 PM   #69
Darkness

Hi Albie.
Made it into the garage with a tape measure this afternoon:
The 'Ducati' decal at the back of the seat cowl is 100mm wide.
The cowl is all curves, but the bottom edge of the decal is 30mm up from the rear edge of the cowl, measured centrally using a steel tape with the end of the tape hooked over the edge of the cowl.
This is the original cowl on my '94 m900 with '93 date stamp moulded into the underside and what I believe to be original paint as it still has the supplying dealer's 'Murayama' decals too.

Old 28-06-2015, 06:51 PM   #70
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I have the number 859 for the BMW Solid Gold..

Not sure if that is a BS or what, definatly not a RAL, but if you go to an automotive paint establishment and ask for BMW Solid Gold 859, they will be able to cross reference if neccesary and mix the right stuff.

As you probably know, most of the paint suppliers can mix it and put it in an aerosol for around the twelve quid mark, depending on the mix....reckon an aerosol should just about do a couple of carriers....Good luck with the masking..
I have a job ahead then. Thanks.
Old 28-06-2015, 06:53 PM   #71
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Hi Albie.
Made it into the garage with a tape measure this afternoon:
The 'Ducati' decal at the back of the seat cowl is 100mm wide.
The cowl is all curves, but the bottom edge of the decal is 30mm up from the rear edge of the cowl, measured centrally using a steel tape with the end of the tape hooked over the edge of the cowl.
This is the original cowl on my '94 m900 with '93 date stamp moulded into the underside and what I believe to be original paint as it still has the supplying dealer's 'Murayama' decals too.

Yes I reckoned on 100mm so that's what I ordered last week. I estimated around 25mm so 30mm clarifys it.
thanks for details.
Old 28-06-2015, 08:00 PM   #72
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Alternator cover plate had slotted screw heads, not hex or cross heads
Same on both of mine.
Old 28-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #73
Darkness

Quote:
Question 1. There is a tap on the oil feed line from crankcase to cooler. Is this an on/off for a purpose. No carb heaters on this one.

There isn't on either of mine.
Correction There isn't one on my Japanese first registered '94 m900, but there is on my UK first registered '93 m900 to feed carb heaters.
Old 28-06-2015, 09:00 PM   #74
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Correction There isn't one on my Japanese first registered '94 m900, but there is on my UK first registered '93 m900 to feed carb heaters.
No I realised its a carb heater when looked at feed to carbs
Old 28-06-2015, 09:32 PM   #75
DrD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I have a job ahead then. Thanks.
Might be obvious but I would really go to town on cleaning the bobbins before you paint

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: