UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Big bore kit for m900 - opinions please?

Old 13-01-2019, 04:09 PM   #1
Goofle

Bike: M900
Big bore kit for m900 - opinions please?

Something like the Fast by Ferracci kit? (Item 223291285258 on eBay as an example?)
I’d fit it when I get the Keilin carbs (separate thread) sorted.
My main concern (apart from the price!!) is that I’m not keen on disturbing the cylinder head bolts. I’ve had a horrid time with them previously and I’m not majorly in a rush to go there again.
I’m pretty keen on not doing anything not reversible either!
Any opinions please!

Last edited by Goofle; 13-01-2019 at 04:18 PM..
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 05:03 PM   #2
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Hi Goofle, I fitted and have ridden a 944cc (bored out std m900ie engine) with 94mm Pistal pistons for some years now, I did also lighten the flywheel, cleaned up the ports and reset the cam timing. It was tested as putting out 86bhp and 66ft/lbs of torque. Made for a fun ride, much more responsive than the original 900 carbie engine. Obviously the main advantage of boring the engine out is the opportunity to raise the compression ratio, rather than the power you might gain from the larger capacity. As it happens I'm just in the process of taking that engine out in order to fit a DS lump. The engine was running fine a month or so ago, but it is in a very poor cosmetic appearance. If you're interested, I've got everything else you would need to uprate a carbie bike to injection apart from the petrol tank.
All the best with the project, Bitza.
Old 13-01-2019, 07:36 PM   #3
Goofle

Thanks for the offer of the injection but I’m about to fit a pair of 41mm flat slides. I know it’s daft and totally ott but I fancy it!
I really shouldn’t but a big bore kit but want to...
Saying that I’m still waiting on my house move. I’ll see how my finances are afterwards...
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2019, 08:23 PM   #4
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Cool

You could do a set of JE Hi-comp pistons, balance the crank, lighten the gears and fit adjustable and lighter cam wheels.

Most of the lightening and cam wheels can be got through Mark at MADASL including some spaghetti headers if your budget stretches that far:

http://www.madasl.co.uk/products.php

This should make a difference with the FCRs.

Yorkie