UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » JPR Williams

Old 09-01-2024, 11:22 AM   #1
Nasher

Bike: M900
JPR Williams

Just reading this during my lunch break because he's a hero from my youth:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52052510

These quotes from it typify what Rugby was when I was growing up, and why some of these guys are my heros.

The contrast, maybe even conflict, between the first paragraph and second show an almost 'Victorian Gentleman' expectation of the players.

"Although he retired from international rugby in 1981 to concentrate on his other career as an Orthopaedic surgeon, he kept turning out occasionally for home club Bridgend into the 1990s and even played for local side Tondu's third team in his fifties before finally hanging up his boots in 2003".

"The next tour, of South Africa in 1974, would become similarly etched in Lions folklore as the visitors won 21 of their 22 matches, drawing one of their four Tests against the Springboks.
It was a brutal series marred by on-pitch violence, with match officials doing little to control it and the relative absence of cameras compared to the modern game making retrospective punishment unlikely.
The Lions adopted the now infamous '99 call' of instant retaliation where, if one player hit back at a Springbok, all other Lions were expected to join in the melee or hit the nearest opponent".
Old 09-01-2024, 12:42 PM   #2
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I remember him well from my youth , a stalwart rugby player in defence and a super player in attack very perceptive, also a good tennis player actually competing at Wimbledon and later a talented surgeon.... RIP JPR
Old 09-01-2024, 01:44 PM   #3
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Could never help thinking how much faster he might have been without those silly sideburns

Another legend departed

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 02:00 PM   #4
Nasher

Bike: M900
I must admit the 99 Call is a new one on me, but I was still at Junior school in 1974.
Old 09-01-2024, 04:39 PM   #5
crawsue
Bronze Member

Bike: M1100evo
In that now infamous ‘71 tour the late Sandy Carmichael , who was a shoe-in for the prop position had his jaw and cheekbone broken by a punch in the very 1st scrum of the 1st warm-up district mach, it was not seen by any of the match officials although the most likely offender didn’t get selected for any of the All Blacks test teams….play up and play the game….aye, right….
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 05:02 PM   #6
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Being the only Welshman at an English school, things could have been tough if it hadn't been for the 70s Welsh team. JPR was always great to watch, sad news.