UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » 1994 M600 owner coming to say hello!

Old 22-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
kevrobot

Ah ha! Cheers Albi, I will give that a whirl. Didn't even think about using a socket head to pack it out with. I'll give that a whirl in a moment when the wife takes the dog out (freedom vouchers ensue). Will report back soon.

On another note, I am only removing them for powder coating, if I had known I would have left them but the general reason I saw for removal on other forums was to prep for coating. Damn!!

You live and learn.

Kev
Old 22-11-2015, 03:02 PM   #2
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrobot View Post
Ah ha! Cheers Albi, I will give that a whirl. Didn't even think about using a socket head to pack it out with. I'll give that a whirl in a moment when the wife takes the dog out (freedom vouchers ensue). Will report back soon.

On another note, I am only removing them for powder coating, if I had known I would have left them but the general reason I saw for removal on other forums was to prep for coating. Damn!!

You live and learn.

Kev
Same here mate. Some say yes some say no. This was Redditch Powdercoat who have years of experience. Bearings are the only exception because the release oil and grease when heated or blasted. It really also depends on the condition of the rubber whether cracked or not. Read my thread to help if you want as I am doing a COMPLETE top to bottom restoration and as much info provided as I can.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=52061
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #3
kevrobot

I'll take a peek of that. Thanks mate.
On a good note, my hands are dirty again, on a bad note, the m10 bolt trick didn't work. I'm wondering if it would harm the alloy if I weld up some pieces to the sleeves and batter them out as the bolts/socket/washer combo kept slipping after a few bashes.

Cheers again for the help mate, everything is worth a punt.

Kev
Old 22-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #4
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevrobot View Post
I'll take a peek of that. Thanks mate.
On a good note, my hands are dirty again, on a bad note, the m10 bolt trick didn't work. I'm wondering if it would harm the alloy if I weld up some pieces to the sleeves and batter them out as the bolts/socket/washer combo kept slipping after a few bashes.

Cheers again for the help mate, everything is worth a punt.

Kev
My initial try with the standard method failed. I then tried the drilling and trying to hacksaw through the wall to weaken it as dremel failed. You will mark the alloy if not careful. I then tried my method successfully and they came out alright and the sides were as new no rust either. It almost needs like a T shape to hook under the wall and either a slide hammer or press out.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote