UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hello From South Wales! Project Advice Needed! :D.

Old 05-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
500ruk

Hello From South Wales! Project Advice Needed! :D.

Hey guys and gals!

To cut a long story short, i recently bought a new cbr500r, and whilst its an amazing little commuter, it really doesnt have a personality or give me that feeling.....

So, im going to buy an older monster (of some sort) In a project state, and rebuild her for next summer.

What would you buy? Ive got 1000 to spend on the bike, No mechanical knowledge, but im a fast learner .

I was thinking an m900, but there are so many varients out there that its a bit boggling....

Cheers! Joe
Old 05-12-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
A biased opinion.. if you're going for older pre-2000 then get a 750, quicker then a 600 and will keep up with bigger. The 600's are fine, just a small motor, you'd notice it if you head up the heads of the valleys. But all, the 600, 750 and 900 do give you an engaging ride.. you have to ride the monsters to get the best out of it and on a twisty B road a good rider on a 600 can really suprise a bigger bike, they can all hack along quite rapidly when you need thenm to.
You could probably get an IE maybe one of the newer generation for the budget you have but it won't be anything like pristine and there are some expensive parts like failed clocks that would get one into uour price range.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
pompone
MaleDucati

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
A biased opinion.. if you're going for older pre-2000 then get a 750, quicker then a 600 and will keep up with bigger. The 600's are fine, just a small motor, you'd notice it if you head up the heads of the valleys. But all, the 600, 750 and 900 do give you an engaging ride.. you have to ride the monsters to get the best out of it and on a twisty B road a good rider on a 600 can really suprise a bigger bike, they can all hack along quite rapidly when you need thenm to.
You could probably get an IE maybe one of the newer generation for the budget you have but it won't be anything like pristine and there are some expensive parts like failed clocks that would get one into uour price range.
Yeah, but you'll end up having dry clutch envy that said a 900 for a grand (considering if you want to "do it up" you'll need at least as much again) is a big ask..
Old 05-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
500ruk

oh, id want a dry clutch. Cannot beat that dry clutch clatter .

The 1000 is for the initial purchase... then itll be spending money monthly getting her ready for next summer...... I shouldve bought one instead of the cbr, but the cbr makes an amazing everyday, easy to ride commuter.

Is there a list of the models of monster on the net somewhere? IE? Theres a few different terms i need to learn i think!

Sorry for being a complete newb guys, im just trying to learn as much as i can .
Old 05-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
DrD

For a 900, I reckon you will be closer to £2000 than £1000 even for a rough one ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Cars-Motor...Monster&_sop=2 )
And if you don't get get a 900 you will want the dry clutch (and the rest) eventually.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #6
500ruk

Looks like im saving more money! . Cheers guys

Last edited by 500ruk; 05-12-2013 at 11:18 PM..
Old 06-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
IE = injected but personally I'd go for carbs. 1k M900 s do pop up quite often. It would take very little man maths to have squeezed one of these 2 into your 1k budget

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Mon...item1c3841bae4

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1993-DUCAT...item25848476eb
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
don_matese

For projects carb'd bikes are much easier to tinker with. I'm not a mechanic (although have a mechanics background and my dad is a mechanic) but I do all my work on the pavement outside the flat and never failed to fix an issue yet. The only time I borrow a garage is when dealing with suspension issues or multiday fixes.

I'm not saying that you cant do the same with an injection bike but theres much more electronically that can go wrong that is a: either a nightmare to diagnose or b: expensive to fix.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
Char
We're all mad here

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tchlink:top:en

There you go
Char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
500ruk

The way i read that, is that its not actually an m900, its a 900ss engine ect put into a monster frame..... Too much of a project, and hassle with insurance for me to consider it. Shame really as its a nice looking machine.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
don_matese

the only difference should be the heads, i think they used the same heads on the m900 as they do on the 750 for a few years, get earlier heads and you'd have the same engine as the 900SS - i may be wrong, one of the more clever ducatistis will be along shortly to refute/confirm my thinking.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
Dirty
Bockloks

It's running so most of any tricky work is done. Insurance isn't a problem, it's a 900 engine in a 900 monster.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
500ruk

Ive requested more info off the seller.....

The ad says "enging running when ss was stipped"..... Not a typo, says stipped.

Ill get some more info on it and see what he says. The fact the side plates say monster 620 is something id investigate too.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #14
Dirty
Bockloks

Ah yes, punctuation is the key. I read it as 'have key, engine running.' but that may well be wrong. Luckily he doesn't have an uncle Jack who needs help off his horse
Old 06-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
500ruk

Ill just wait for his response..... If its all there and i can get it dirt cheap then i might go for it.....