UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Spotted » Virtually Brand New M900!

Old 23-10-2013, 06:50 AM   #16
NewMon
Titanium Member

Bike: M600
Would the engine bearings really have to be changed? I understand that seals and hoses may have degraded but bearings? I'm asking for a friend :-)
NewMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 07:54 AM   #17
pompone
MaleDucati

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMon View Post
Would the engine bearings really have to be changed? I understand that seals and hoses may have degraded but bearings? I'm asking for a friend :-)
You don't have to but it would be strongly advisable. Of course you can give it the bare minimum and fill up with petrol and hope for the best, but it would be silly after spending 3K on it
Old 23-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #18
Rally
Taking life easy........

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by pompone View Post
I like your conservative quote of 500 quid. If you were to change just the engine bearings that's what it would cost you. Then you'd have seals and gaskets, bearings all around, tires, servicing items...the bill could easily go up a couple of thousands..
I was working on DIY costs Max as lots of us do that on here. You're right if you had to take in to a shop to get it done.
It's a clever way to sell the risk on, "Can't be started due to belts". Excuse me, but they are £38 the last time I bought some, so why not fit them and jump start it to see where the oil leaks from?
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #19
pompone
MaleDucati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
I was working on DIY costs Max as lots of us do that on here. You're right if you had to take in to a shop to get it done.
It's a clever way to sell the risk on, "Can't be started due to belts". Excuse me, but they are £38 the last time I bought some, so why not fit them and jump start it to see where the oil leaks from?
Rally bearings are 500 quid to buy, not install or anything. I was working on DIY costs as well, and to do the job properly I believe is no less than 1.5K in parts alone. And it probably will need shimming and valve guides 1000 miles down the road anyway. At 3K would be a massive gamble as you don't know how it has been stored or anything..sure is a damn fine, untouched bike but it would only suit to be put in a Museum and dusted down every now and again. If you were to buy and ride it you'll be putting almost as much money in it as you've paid for..
Old 23-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #20
DrD

If you wanted an early one this is better option: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-MON..._qi=RTM1342314
Old 23-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #21
Flip

All the best Ducati's I know are the ones that get used regularly and have a decent amount of miles on them. They definitely don't like being stored for long especially in damp or varying temperatures.

I bought my '97 900 in 1999 from a friend that bought it new as a tax fiddle (company vehicle). In the (almost) two years he owned it he only put 1500 miles on it although it had been stored well in his shop, started and ridden from time to time.

But when I got it I set to work on the usual service, oil and filter, belts, swapped the rubber brake hoses they came with back then for braided ones, got rid of the horrible original Dunlops etc. etc. but in the first couple of months of regular use little things started to show, firstly the big crank case oil seal behind the clutch started to weep and then the slave cylinder seal went shortly after- nothing too major but that was a bike I knew the history of and was a bargain.

My 1965 Mach 1 racer was slightly different as although there was a lot of history with it, it hadn't been raced for several years where it was kept in a private collection and even going into the purchase with eyes fully open having taken advice from those that race and run these things you can pretty much double what you think it is going to cost to renew or restore everything that will have dried out, perished or corroded beyond saving.

Having said all that, it is nice clean bike and with early ones starting to go up in value- always a shame to look at these things as investments though I think (I bought my race bike to race not have in a museum!). But it would be a shame for it never to run- but I think it would also be a shame to alter it's original condition. Hmmm tricky!!
Old 23-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #22
AndyC_772

Bike: No Bike Yet!
You guys are making me nervous about my 695 now

I've done about 400 miles on it since it came out of storage... granted, it's "only" been laid up for 5 years or so, not nearly as long as this 900, but should I really expect to start seeing pools of oil on the floor?
AndyC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #23
Black Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Christ on a bike.

Who are these people? I dunno who is worse - the control freak wife or the spineless sack of skin who lets life pass by just to keep the peace.

Ugh.....
Old 23-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #24
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
I'm off to buy some popcorn

This thread could get interesting
Old 23-10-2013, 10:11 PM   #25
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #26
pompone
MaleDucati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bob View Post
Christ on a bike.

Who are these people? I dunno who is worse - the control freak wife or the spineless sack of skin who lets life pass by just to keep the peace.

Ugh.....
I go for the husband
Old 24-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #27
Rally
Taking life easy........

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Well someone's put a bid on it!
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 12:31 PM   #28
maxxjod

Bike: M750
I would guess that this bike would become a money pit if anybody purchased it to ride it, if you look at the fastenings on the handle bars they are corroded that could/would indicate that the bike has been kept somewhere damp?
If that is the case then the brake fluid will have absorbed a quantity of moisture, that moisture could then be in the brake system and clutch system, this could be a nightmare to sort out.
The inside of the frame could be corroding.
The air in the tires will have attracted moisture so the rims could be in a poor condition.
Any grease in bearings will have dried out.
Etc etc.........
The more i look and think about this bike the more i would steer clear of it, it could be a gem but i cant help but feel it will cost more and more money to put it on the road.
maxxjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #29
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Bike: S2r 1000
if the bits are in good nick, parting it out is an option
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #30
steeevvvooo

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatronic View Post
if the bits are in good nick, parting it out is an option
NO!! You have just got rid of a garage full of bits!
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote