UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Spotted » Brit bike on Miami beach...

Old 22-02-2009, 05:48 AM   #1
JMo

Brit bike on Miami beach...

OK, so you probably don't want to hear it's 80*F here in Florida... but I just thought I'd let you all know what I've been up to...

This year, I have mostly been riding from one side of the USA to the other, and finally made it to the Atlantic on Tuesday (17th Feb), having been down to Key West (the southernmost point of the US) the weekend before...

With any luck, I'll have made it back to Las Vegas by the end of April, and all being well, will arrive in the UK just in time for the weekender... is there a prize for the most miles travelled to get to the Mill this year?!

Looking forward to seeing you all there!

Toot toot!

Jenny & Piglet xx
Old 22-02-2009, 08:17 AM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Heathrow-Arrow: 97 miles
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
There's a nicely detailed old Enfield knocking about there, cafe racer styling and very loud. LOL Not as fast as it sounds though, well it is an RE, just thought I'd toss in some local colour.
Old 22-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
There's a nicely detailed old Enfield knocking about there, cafe racer styling and very loud. LOL Not as fast as it sounds though, well it is an RE, just thought I'd toss in some local colour.
Where? Miami or Heathrow?!

xxx
Old 22-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
Seb_uk
Bronze Member

Bike: M695
Wow - I'm jealous!!

I was in Miami about ten years ago but it doen't feel that long ago.... I loved the place.

Jut looking at that photo makes me realise how pants our dear old UK climate is in comparison!
Seb_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
JMo

Glory days...

Funny you say that Seb - I actually hated Miami... well not exactly hated it, but was dissapointed... it is just another huge sprawling US city these days (although the beach front is still nice, even if the restaurants are robbers!)...

I've been lucky to ride all over the USA these past few months, and not being a city person I much prefer the openness and scenery of the west - the mountains in Colorado and Utah, the desert in Arizona and Nevada, the forests in Oregon and California... Florida is so flat, and the roads so busy and dull comparision! I seem to have been in a queue of traffic for 2000 miles already!

I'm currently in Orlando (cheap hotels thank goodness!), but to be honest riding round the city is like taking the M25 back and forth between Staines a Cherstsey - just miles of concrete motorway, mental drivers, and the odd rollercoaster sticking up from behind a tree... x

I feel Florida is just one big a tourist trap, and seemingly out to fleece you as much as possible - toll roads, parking meters, aggressive drivers, expensive hotels... no wonder so many Brits feel right at home!

But you're right about the weather - luverly!

I'll be heading off to Daytona next weekend, then heading north to Tenessee to ride some proper roads, then head back west after that (thank goodness!) - back to some sort of sanity!

xxx
Old 24-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #7
Seb_uk
Bronze Member

Bike: M695
I guess I probably have the rose tinted glasses on to a certain degree when I think about my time in Miami back in the late ninetees......

I did an organised tour accross the states with a company called Suntrek (unfortunately in a minibus rather than on a motorcycle!). It was great fun - started out in San Francisco and then drove accross the country over the course of a few weeks taking in the sights along the way. Went as far down as Key West and then back up to Miami & spent a couple of weeks there before heading back to the UK. Met some cool people and really got to see the real America when I headed off the tourist trail. I spent a few days in Missouri and I don't think some of the people I met had ever seen a British person in the flesh before - it was quite funny!

Anyway, I reckon two wheels is by far the best way to travel in the states (or pretty much anywhere for that matter) If only I didn't have all these damn financial commitments and desk job I would definately re-do the journey on a bike. Still, without the job I couldn't pay for my beloved Monster, so it's not all bad......
Seb_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
J-Mo, definitely making us jealous.
How is it with the 65mph maximum ?

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 01:33 PM   #9
giler

That looks like a fantastic trip - wonder if the wife would notice if I sneaked off for a while?

Have you been on the Tenere all trip, or diff bikes along the way?
Old 24-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #10
Lucati

I spent most of the eighties there with my partner Tubbs. We spent our days cruising around in our Ferarri and the evenings penetrating Cuban drug gangs. Great days!
Old 24-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
Lucati

When I say penetrating I mean undercover gathering information, not 'penetrating'.

I'll get my coat.
Old 24-02-2009, 02:45 PM   #12
giler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucati View Post
I spent most of the eighties there with my partner Tubbs. We spent our days cruising around in our Ferarri and the evenings penetrating Cuban drug gangs. Great days!
McBurnie Coach Built Ferarri - hand built shell on 1978 Corvette chassis.

I'll get MY anorak!
Old 24-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #13
Lucati

Quote:
Originally Posted by giler View Post
McBurnie Coach Built Ferarri - hand built shell on 1978 Corvette chassis.

I'll get MY anorak!
Nothing changes, I don't really ride a monster, it's a vespa ET2 with a body kit, big wheels and sports exhaust....mums the word.

Old 24-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #14
Mand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucati View Post
Nothing changes, I don't really ride a monster, it's a vespa ET2 with a body kit, big wheels and sports exhaust....mums the word.

Is it an entry level Vespa.... ?

Back to Miami, did you wear a linen suit with the sleeves rolled up?
Old 24-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #15
Lucati

Mand, it is of course an entry level ET2! I'm entry level Vespatisti too you know!

Espadrills?!* (not sure how you spell it!) rolled up sleeves, dodgy ray-bans off the market - I was living the dream! Sad thing is I really did dress like that in my teens (saddo!!!)