UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Advice for Trip to France

Old 24-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
bazread

Advice for Trip to France

Hello all,

Me and a few mates a planning a week long road trip next year to the Millau Viaduct bridge in France next year. I have never been abroad on a bike before and wondered if anyone had any advice on what I need to take either legally or to make life more easy?

Baz.
M1100evo
Old 24-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Martin C
Bronze Member

Bike: M900
Enjoy your trip - but motorways are still motorways, whatever country they're in!

Instead of riding diagonally all across France, you could instead consider taking the overnight Brittany Ferries route from Portsmouth/Plymouth to Santander/Bilbao, then you'll be reasonably close to the Pyrenees and can head across to the Millau Bridge. Personally, I love riding in the northern & central regions of Spain & Portugal, but nowadays I consider much of France offers only poor value and poorer service - especially in touristy areas such as the Loire Valley. In any case, use of an up-to-date Lonely Planet/Rough Guide and Trip Advisor will help you to plan an enjoyable trip.
Old 24-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Done European trips loads.
JP's guide to European travel.

*Get breakdown assistance cover - essential
*Take a copy of registration and insurance.
*Take luggage that's going to be secure and easy to travel with - You can't beat the Ventura Rack system but otherwise Kriega is known to be very good, but time consuming to secure (don't listen to my friends who tell you otherwise).
*Don't ride too far, part of the enjoyment is the journey. After ten's of thousands of miles in Europe you can expect nothing more that 50 miles travelled for every hour of your journey. So if you want to get 300 miles done, it'll take you 6 hours.
*Take at least two bank cards, and small cash (E10's) in case you get stuck at a petrol station with non-working payment machines (often automatic in France).
*If you're thinking of using the French motorways to get to your destination, it's well worth looking into setting up an account with www.saneftolling.co.uk - makes paying a breeze and speeds you up, especially in the rain.
*The Accor Group covers all types of hotels for all budgets, pick one that has a restaurant attached for a good steak and chips at the end of the day.
*Spare bulb, emergency tyre inflation kit, paper map and my personal favourite, Sat Nav.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
J.P
No more Monster...

I took the Plymouth to Bilbao ferry last year.
It drove me crazy for 24 hours. That's time I could have been seeing France.

But I stayed on the French side of the Pyrenees which was one of the best places I've stayed on any biking trip.
http://www.pyreneesmotorcycletours.com/contact.php

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
Char
We're all mad here

dont worry too much about pre booking hotels

download an app such as http://www.france-voyage.com/en/ to your phone and pick somewhere when you're ready - its much more fun and you dont have to stick to a strict itinary -
Char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Wish I'd had that App on the way back from Misano a few years ago

Would have made finding B&B's on the way back far less stressful
Old 24-09-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
I pretty much agree with what JP has said, although I just strap a 49 litre Ortlieb bag to the back of my bike. No need for fancy luggage (apart from the Bags Connection Trip tag bag which is great for wallet, phone, drink, sandwiches, map, waterproofs, etc - amazing what you can fit in about 3 litres of space).

On the evo I'd fit the touring seat, although it does mean there's nowehere for the pathetic excuse of a toolkit to go, but is more comfy than the stock seat for long distances. I'd also suggest fitting the bar riser from an M1100 cos it's 20mm lower and moves your weight off your backside a bit more. I found the stock riding position quite uncomfortable for long distance riding. This is all very personal. If you are not me you might not like these mods.

When packing remember most of your time will be riding so how many clothes do you really need? I've done two week tours with just my Ortlieb bag and even then I took stuff I didn't need. Just be ruthless when packing. If in doubt, leave it out.

Overnight stops. Do you plan or wing it? Up to you. I enjoy both. Planning is good for ultra long days. You know exactly where you're going. You've got a good idea what the hotel will be like. After 600 miles and 12 hours riding you don't want to be faffing around. However the unplanned stops are often more fun, full of character and a voyage into the unknown. IMHO they are a better option on more relaxed riding days, however booking in advance can get you some very nice hotels at very low prices.

With a group of mates I've always enjoyed relaxed 300-400 miles per day touring (6-8 hours of riding). Theres a general plan each day of what roads we want to ride and the direction we want to go in. We stop for lunch when we see somewhere nice or when we're hungry. We stop at the end of the day when we're starting to get tired. Very few motorways are ridden, a few minor accidents happen, a lot of fun is had, possibly some alcohol is drunk and occaisionally very nice hotels are stayed in just cos we're there so why not - just try not to look at the bill when you check out, that's why you carry two credit cards

A personal favourite road of mine in France is the D940 from Gueret to just past St Cere. Near Millau you have the Gorges du Tarn and lots of lovely roads in the area between Millau and Ales. The mountains of the Auvergne are also good for riding.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #8
Wasta

If the rozzers get you it's a cash fine, so watch your speed.
You must carry insurance V5 and your MOT. No breathalizer now but Frog law states 4 reflective squares on every lid. I didn't bother and had no grief. Breakdown is esential, even if you don't use it, peace of mind is a great thing.

I also never bother altering the headlights and again never had trouble with it, just be careful on full beam. The autoroutes are expensive if traveling big miles on them, and boring, find an alternate route for some fun.

Above all enjoy it.
Old 25-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
Black Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Other urban myths...

HiViz

You do NOT need to worry about hi-viz. Nobody will be bothered by the police about this. Ignore EVERYTHING you may have heard on this subject, including the 1973 law on helmet stickers which, for some reason, has recently surfaced on UK bike forums. Something the French forgot about decades ago.

GPS reprogrammed to deactivate camera warnings

Ignore this. The police have no powers to check whether you have it deactivated or not, not without a court order (or by threatening you with a gun).

Breathalysers

It's been thrown out. Ignore it.

Headlight blanking

The French never do it when they come to the UK, so why should you?

Check that you have personal travel insurance and that it's valid …

1) For France,
2) For the duration of your stay
3) it covers you for motorbikes of more than 125cc.

Have fun!
Old 25-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #10
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bob View Post
Other urban myths...

HiViz

You do NOT need to worry about hi-viz. Nobody will be bothered by the police about this. Ignore EVERYTHING you may have heard on this subject, including the 1973 law on helmet stickers which, for some reason, has recently surfaced on UK bike forums. Something the French forgot about decades ago.

GPS reprogrammed to deactivate camera warnings

Ignore this. The police have no powers to check whether you have it deactivated or not, not without a court order (or by threatening you with a gun).

Breathalysers

It's been thrown out. Ignore it.

Headlight blanking

The French never do it when they come to the UK, so why should you?

Check that you have personal travel insurance and that it's valid …

1) For France,
2) For the duration of your stay
3) it covers you for motorbikes of more than 125cc.

Have fun!
And whatever you do don't mention the war!
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #11
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
And whatever you do don't mention the war!
Wrong nation, you mean don't mention they are cheese eating surrender monkeys.
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
Black Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Oh, and being relieved of your passport by a gun-toting gendarme is a pretty bowel loosening experience, so don't speed on the Peage. Better to miss the ferry, etc.
Old 25-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Try to speak French even if you're no good at it, you'll earn points for trying and most folk will then happily switch to English and help you out.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzi View Post
Wrong nation, you mean don't mention they are cheese eating surrender monkeys.
Erm you might want to re check your history, we've been at logger heads with the French far more times than the Germans. 1066 was the last one we lost (and technically they were Normans). Germany didn't even become a nation until 1871 and it took them 44 years before they had a go at us!

So so far we are about 14 to 0 with the French and only 2 - 0 against the Germans

Of course the origin of the quote is in reference to the Germans but I was definitely referring to the French
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #15
crust
rattles when he walks

Drink lots of biere, dehydration can be serious
crust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, france, going abroad, road trip