UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Back with a M900 series I

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 13-08-2015, 09:05 PM   #136
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Another part found and being replaced is I got a very nice looking early tank cap from sadly the USA but at a very reasonable price of $35 plus post so albeit £40 I have at least got a decent one for sale. I know its being anorak but I reckon the tank got replaced with another as well as the fuel cap. Its right now and all that matters. As much as I possibly could have got the one or two I have engraved it wont be an original one and may have needed coating too.

Tonight I dropped all the plating off nr Heathrow and should be done by next weekend all shiney and coloured zinc. My mate was glad I said as he was thinking it was bright zinc plate colour ie silver. Luckily he wasn't shocked by the amount I had for him and said its better to do more than little.

Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 05:22 AM   #137
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

A nice break and lets get building

Had a week off to chill and on return some parts arrived and parts refurbished. Thanks to Lukas for sending me the exhaust system to be cleaned up and that important missing rubber filter holder.

I have a pair of gloss black wheels and that yellow hoop is done. New rose joints and replated fittings.

The plating is done other than some I need to do when engine returns and the exhaust clamp some time.

Started some assembling of parts and putting relevant bolts together with components.

Old 24-08-2015, 05:38 AM   #138
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

continued

following on

Indicators original with new rubber dampers and plated bolts with fixed pins.

Rear sprocket needs a fresh bearing along with wheels but have 6 plated correct nuts fitted.

Correct tank clip fitted and the fuel cap swapped over with an elephant and my lock. Just the tank is technically wrong as in from a newer bike with no seam around the clip area.

Headlight is a Bosch H4

More to come as frame is due to be done this Wednesday.
Old 24-08-2015, 12:27 PM   #139
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Got up really early this morning at 6.00 and cracked on with stuff as needed to make a bracket or at this time try and see if the bracket would work, to mount the fuel tap that's on the bike. Its off an ss by the look and has so far come in handy when removing the tank so if it looks ok and not so out of place I can use it . At first I was considering getting BigOz to weld the bracket on the filter bracket but thinking long term I think better if removable so I drilled and tapped an m5 hole in the other bracket and will use a better functional and in keeping bolt and not the one shown. The tap is then screwed on to the bracket with M5 screws. The tap turns towards the front on so will be clear at 90 degrees.
I think it looks ok even trying to keep the bike looking purist but will be powdercoated the same as the frame to blend in.

Next whilst the weather was throwing it down I started doing the ex-Lukas header system to bring it back to decent condition. What started as looking down right dirty started to show some areas that wont clean up without serious work. I am pleased so far and very very grateful to have another system without the bad grounding but even this one has had what looks like at least one but nowhere near as bad.
It started like this

A bit of elbow grease and wire wheel and looking respectable

The worst is at the front down pipe but was also similar on my other one where stones throw up and I literally had to file off the surface as was like charcoal .

The nastiest bit is that someone actually has welded a set of exhaust to these headers in its past in 4 places per outlet. I am going to try and fix this with some help hopefully from BigOz as to whether the areas can be welded across and re dressed or I get some rings made to cover tightly and just tack to the underneath and rear. I dressed them a little around an exhaust but again not a major issue.

One on left is old headers exit and the left is one I am using.

The clamps cleaned up nicely but will have to use a Nut and Bolt to clamp as thread has gone. Not paying £27 for a new one.

The finish on exhaust will only get better and this is stage 1 so I will persevere best I can.

Last edited by Albie; 24-08-2015 at 12:34 PM..
Old 24-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #140
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Big Oz came to my rescue tonight welding 2 minor cracks about 5mm long on the tank mount plate . Just in case really before powder coat tomorrow. Also did a weld on the fuel tap bracket with captive nuts for ease of fixing.

We have a plan to restore the header outlet shields by slipping some 42mm copper pipe between and then welding the stainless to a suitable repair and dressing it neatly. Have to repair the clamp too with some new stainless bar drilled to take an M8 bolt and be re-welded on. He is an absolute star that man and is going to try also and salvage my original lower yoke as the lock stop thread is baggy as hell and needs more metal in it. He is going to attempt that one at his leisure. I left him with a nice jug of Scrumpy to try.

Taking the Ducati weighted bar ends I got from QBA last week to get a fresh coat too as had grazes on one. I did drill the bottom out and tapped M8 so they could hang them up rather than thread them through a hole.

Powder coat journey tomorrow so wish me luck on the colour match and finish.
Old 29-08-2015, 08:55 PM   #141
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Well a 3 day away from home getting the frame done at Redditch and whilst I was there I got the rear wheel done again because somehow it got chipped in 3 places .
How pleased am I ?
Very pleased tbh as it was an unknown other than a sample but having picked it up and getting it home its great and the finish is great. Masked up properly and frame number still visible but I have to decide on how I finish that bit. Masked also on bearings and frame bolt exits.
When you put the cut off frame piece its close so that's all that matters. Price was £90 plus the VAT so if your interested give Porl or David a call.

The rear wheel was acid dipped and shotblasted again and masked properly in cush drives and bearings.

I got the bar ends done too.

I was unsure but did the footrest hangers in silver as were blacked. If I want can go back to natural but were only £20 to do and will stop the weather. Look nice with fittings though.

Found another elephant under the rubber when I removed it all from footrests for those who are counting .

Got lots to get on with now.

Got to order some wheel bearings.
Cush drive inserts
1 hanger rubber insert and 6 new damper washers for airbox parts and 4 new E clips for footrest pivot pins.

Last edited by Albie; 29-08-2015 at 09:06 PM..
Old 30-08-2015, 06:19 AM   #142
Darkness

Hi Albie: you're making steady progress, so keep up the good work.

I'm especially interested in the powder coat on the frame as I haven't decided whether to do mine yet (I may keep the "patina")?

I haven't seen an elefant on the underside of a footpeg before, but it's not an easy spot on the bike.

Was that one of the rubber coated ones?
Old 30-08-2015, 09:04 AM   #143
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Hi Albie: you're making steady progress, so keep up the good work.

I'm especially interested in the powder coat on the frame as I haven't decided whether to do mine yet (I may keep the "patina")?

I haven't seen an elefant on the underside of a footpeg before, but it's not an easy spot on the bike.

Was that one of the rubber coated ones?
Yes I since found out they are and we're original fitment and could have left them be. Yesterday I sat a picked the remaining rubber off as shot blasting and burning wouldn't. Took about another hour. Had my frame gold I may have lived with it. Mines nice now and all will look nice but without much patina. Leave yours be if you can and wait to see how mine is viewed. It's bound to cause comment but you know me I would instantly get it altered now I know how easy they come apart. Had someone not dithered giving me a ballpark figure for paint it would have been painted.
Old 30-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #144
Flip

All looking good Albie- I'd be interested in the frame colour match too as been told by several people they can't get the kind of matt finish correct despite knowing the paint code- even the 20th Anniversary bikes weren't the same.

Also, do you know when the tanks changed to without the weld around the clip?

Only ask as my '97 900 has the weld- no elephant on the fuel cap though!!

You need to pull that headlight apart though and clean the glass from the inside as they seem to suffer from clouding but it makes a world of difference to light output when clean.
Old 30-08-2015, 09:51 AM   #145
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
In Practical Sportbikes this months article on the early M900 it says that they had elephants stamped everywhere because the bike was originally going to be a Cagiva, I don't know how true that is, my Supersport had the Elephants too. I can't remember if my 748 did, I don't know where the original fuel cap is but by '97 TPG had taken over from Cagiva anyway but some bikes may have gone out with the Cagiva logos? Who knows.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #146
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
In Practical Sportbikes this months article on the early M900 it says that they had elephants stamped everywhere because the bike was originally going to be a Cagiva, I don't know how true that is, my Supersport had the Elephants too. I can't remember if my 748 did, I don't know where the original fuel cap is but by '97 TPG had taken over from Cagiva anyway but some bikes may have gone out with the Cagiva logos? Who knows.
No bikes went out badged as Cagiva and although TGP invested in Ducati at the end of '96 they didn't fully take over until '99/2000 when the logo officially changed to the one used now.

They had to have a complete re-branding as the Castiglioni brothers held (and still hold)the copyright to the old font which is why you won't get very much official Ducati merchandise using it- I presume they came up with a deal to use it on the 20th Anniversary bikes and a few items of clothing but the majority of it all dates back to the '70's and earlier.

My '97 900 has a generous smattering of Elephants (which must be a trademark of Cagiva) over it although not as many as the very early bikes.
Old 30-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #147
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Re the seam on the tank...Not sure if you have painted the tank yet, nor whether you intend to. But I am thinking it should be possible to "fake" the seam in question by tacking a carefully made one on (BigOz springs to mind)....A bit of crafty blending with filler and you'ld never know..

HA ha ha I've put the idea in your head now.....Bad Gazza...
Old 30-08-2015, 11:15 AM   #148
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
No bikes went out badged as Cagiva and although TGP invested in Ducati at the end of '96 they didn't fully take over until '99/2000 when the logo officially changed to the one used now.

They had to have a complete re-branding as the Castiglioni brothers held (and still hold)the copyright to the old font which is why you won't get very much official Ducati merchandise using it- I presume they came up with a deal to use it on the 20th Anniversary bikes and a few items of clothing but the majority of it all dates back to the '70's and earlier.

My '97 900 has a generous smattering of Elephants (which must be a trademark of Cagiva) over it although not as many as the very early bikes.
Yea, I know. The Elephant is a Cagiva trademark. I just think maybe PS got it slightly wrong and assumed the Elephants were to indicate the Monster was going to be badged a Cagiva when it was really just to indicate Cagiva branding and what parts they had paid to manufacture on all the bikes SS/748.916 etc at that time.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #149
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
I think most Ducatis of the day do. My 916 has Elephants on various parts, including the frame...

Nice work on the M900 BTW.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 06:06 PM   #150
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Re the seam on the tank...Not sure if you have painted the tank yet, nor whether you intend to. But I am thinking it should be possible to "fake" the seam in question by tacking a carefully made one on (BigOz springs to mind)....A bit of crafty blending with filler and you'ld never know..

HA ha ha I've put the idea in your head now.....Bad Gazza...
No will leave the tank alone. Its fine and technically wrong. Maybe one day will replace. Seen a yellow one that needs work on bottom for £125 but need penny's for engine building.

Flip I reckon about 98 on as my 97 had the seam as I recall. Yes will try and de-fog the light sometime.

Did some work today. Quite a bit really and purely a test of bolt fitment to places and getting parts together to stay complete. Nothing loctited or tight as yet.

Tea tray fitted as Ducati intended...

Seat lock and catch fitted.

Under seat tray and fuse box holder fitted.

Airbox fitted to see how brackets for starter solenoid fit. And ignition switch.