UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » S2 2001 Single Sided Swingarm from 916/996

Old 24-05-2018, 05:45 PM   #1
FatAlan

S2 2001 Single Sided Swingarm from 916/996

Hi all.

I am new to the world of Ducati and I am about to undertake my first build of one.

Essentially I have an S4 with a destroyed engine that I recently purchased. I have been reading into some 916 model bikes and it appears there are crankcase differences relating to rear swingarm mounts.

On the S4R it would appear that there is a mount point on the engine case that has a bearing installed for the S4R swingarm.

If I was to fit a 748/916/996 type swingarm would I need to build my engine from a superbike block or does the ST4 / S4 916 block accept this type of swingarm?

Please excuse my potentially poor explanation . I think I know what I want to do but I am not sure I just described it well
Old 24-05-2018, 05:56 PM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
It is possible to convert an ST4/S4 crankcase to accept a SSA from and S4R or SBK it won't as standard accept one, a few on here have already done it. I expect someone will be along shortly to explain exactly what you need to do.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 06:14 PM   #3
Kato
Dismantled

No you don't have to build with a SBK block....

As I remember
On your engine cases need to push the bearings out and replaced with a sleeve / bush, then machine down to fit the 916 swingarm (The mount on the the 916engine is about 30mm narrower than the S4)

The swingarm is also shorter than the Monster one by aound 50mm, so be aware the short wheelbase will make it very twitchy

Then you either need to cut and modify the frame to move the top shock mount, or cut and move the shock mount on the swingarm.

Then there's the speedo pickup which needs to be moved. You can modify the 916 one

You'll also need to get a new rear disk with 6 spigots on it to trigger the speedo sensor.

Then you need to think about the exhaust system, rearsets...etc etc

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 06:50 PM   #4
FatAlan

Thanks, Kato and Darren - I have just been looking at the 916 sbk manual at how this would all bolt together. It looks like an interesting project while I have everything apart but there is a lot of justification for purchasing a second-hand sbk frame I guess if I go down this route.

The S4R swingarm could possibly be easier but the swingarm cost is prohibitive. I really appreciate the point raised regarding the 50mm length difference though. I once put a longer swingarm on a bike (not massively longer - it was a Hayabusa swingarm on an SRAD) and it totally changed the bike. I must admit I like "sharp" handling but not 100% keen on twitchy.

What I am doing is some "mathemagics" really and working out costs that I can easily justify. The bike needs a rear wheel due to damage and ST4S or other 5 spoke wheels are quite expensive. It appears considerably less expensive to go with sbk wheels if I am starting from scratch. I guess this is why I am throwing so many ideas around at the moment.

Thanks again,

Alan
Old 24-05-2018, 07:26 PM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

You could always keep the S4 rolling chassis and just pick up an ST4 or S4 engine they handle better and are lighter too than the SSA versions, plus it will save you work modifying the crankcases and frame, exhaust etc, etc.

Old 24-05-2018, 07:37 PM   #6
FatAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
You could always keep the S4 rolling chassis and just pick up an ST4 or S4 engine they handle better and are lighter too than the SSA versions, plus it will save you work modifying the crankcases and frame, exhaust etc, etc.
I think that's what I am going to do tbh. I think where I'm getting slightly vexed is the only way to have a rolling chassis seems to be having the engine in first - I think I'm just used to things being "different" and I have to change the way I think now I've visited the fascinating world of Ducati.

My plan will be to get the frame and other bits powder coated then bubble wrapped ready for the build up. In the meantime get a nice engine built up.

It will probably quite a nice assembly process once the time comes. I have to just accept that I need 5 spoke wheels and they are going to cost me more than 3 spoke wheels
Old 24-05-2018, 07:48 PM   #7
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Any wheels from a similar age monster or ST will fit 3 or 5 spoke. The five spoke are a bit rarer but look nicer imho. Harder to keep clean though. They do come up on ebay from time to time. I think some later SS models also had 5 spokes. You can build the chassis but you need a stand to take the place of the engine, readily available from most Ducati workshop sites.

Old 25-05-2018, 05:08 AM   #8
littlejimmy12

There was a really nice S4 with a SBK swing arm done a few years ago by Motocraruons, if you look up Black Fog Monster you’ll find the details. I’ve emailed Mark a few times about details of the build and he was very accommodating.

https://youtu.be/rMA24erHqvU
Old 25-05-2018, 06:14 AM   #9
slob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Any wheels from a similar age monster or ST will fit 3 or 5 spoke. The five spoke are a bit rarer but look nicer imho. Harder to keep clean though. They do come up on ebay from time to time. I think some later SS models also had 5 spokes. You can build the chassis but you need a stand to take the place of the engine, readily available from most Ducati workshop sites.
...or some models of Aprilia (front), although you might need to grind the 'Aprilia' casting off the spokes

slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 09:01 AM   #10
FatAlan

And there was me moving towards the restoration of an S4. Then I see pretty much what I wanted to build in the flesh (the fog black bike). That looks really rather nice!

I don't know if is my age but I have a thing for 3 spoke wheels. I've had them on a few Saabs and I think I may have had some 3 spokes on a 325i (a very long time ago!).

I'm going to get my engine sorted first and build a frame up to support the bike as per the suggestions. I will be back to looking at SBK swingarms again now. I keep thinking how 50mm isn't that long and I could probably dial some of that out via chain adjustment.
Old 25-05-2018, 01:54 PM   #11
Darkness

Bike: M900
Smeegal remains one of my favourite modified Monsters:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...hlight=Smeegal

Last edited by Darkness; 10-12-2020 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: Photo added.
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 02:56 PM   #12
FatAlan

https://grabcad.com/library/ducati-916-engine

Was just looking at the 916 engine. I'm back to single sides again. That looks nice. With a water-cooled engine and single sider, it will almost be a 916 streetfighter I guess - without destroying a 916.

If you have not used that grabcad before it's a great way to waste time!

Just looking at that bike Darkness - http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=50319 - I like that. The 3 spoke rear looks nice.

Last edited by FatAlan; 25-05-2018 at 02:58 PM..
Old 25-05-2018, 03:20 PM   #13
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatAlan View Post
......The 3 spoke rear looks nice.
Yes, the satin alloy finish combined with the fresh air around it gives a lightness to the bike. The ssa was custom made for a Monster though, so no reduction in wheelbase on that one.
Old 26-05-2018, 09:42 AM   #14
littlejimmy12

Here’s a brief right up on the Black Fog build

http://www.ducatimonster.org/feature...tured0507.html
Old 26-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #15
slob

Smeegal had a Febur replica 916 swingarm, designed to fit a Monster. Stuart42 built a 750 with a 916 swingarm. There was a member around 10 years ago who had an awesome 748 Monster conversion, I forget his name... one of ‘the gang of four’.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote