UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Bike Reviews :. » Bike Reviews » M1100 » Few thoughts on my 1100s

Old 19-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #1
TonyG

Few thoughts on my 1100s

Quick review of my ownership of an M1100s if anyone is interested.

To put this into context, I’m 54 and have been riding since 1977, so I’m guessing I’m way up on the normal age range for Monster owners. I’ve got no particular prejudices, like all motorcycles, British, Oriental, Italian obviously, even Harleys. I ride for fun nowadays, no more commuting except the odd sunny day.Bikes owned over recent years include a ZRX1100, faultlessly reliable, lots of long trips, don’t think I even had to adjust the chain, Speed Triple, round headlamp model, brutal bike but not very comfortable, Guzzi 8V Griso, odd but lovely, surprisingly quick and good handling, but weighed a lot and terrible fuel consumption.

I’ve had my 1100s for just over a year, it’s a 2009 model but was first registered in 2011, and I got it with 1,500 miles on the clock. It is easily fast enough for me nowadays and makes me smile in a way that none of recent bikes have done, takes me back to my rose tinted memories of a 900ss in 1980. It is very light and handles superbly, I even think I can feel the difference the Ohlins make. Noise and feel from the L twin motor is just brilliant, definitely my favourite cylinder configuration. It looks great, and there is endless scope for after market goodies, but I’ve decided to limit myself here and spend the money on petrol and tyres instead. I did get a DP comfort seat from this forum, and that makes a difference on longer rides, though I still end up with a flattened scrotum if I brake hard.

Downsides are the service costs, I’ve just had the belts done, next service will be the 7,500 valve check, then another belt change after that. Also, when I got it it didn’t like starting if left for a week or 2. More regular use seemed to fix that, but it’s just started doing it again, ironically just after it was serviced. Finish seems good overall, some pitting around the front cylinder head but can’t do much about that, maybe get a fender extender, but will look crap. Also wondered if the oil cooler is in the firing line for any small stones thrown up and whether it’s worth getting a guard. I had the footrest hangers stove enamelled similar in colour to the engine casings which makes it look a lot better.

I had a loan 821 Monster for the day when I had the service done and wondered whether it would be a disappointment to get my old 1100 back afterwards. I took the 821 down to the coast and had a great time on it, kept it in touring mode most of the time, it felt very crisp, better low down fuelling than my 1100. More upright riding position and very easy and intuitive to ride, felt like a monster should. Very nice to view from one side, but not so nice from the side with all the plumbing, surely they could have tidied that up a bit. Nice though the 851 was I was happy when I got my 1100s back.

This is a good forum, lots of advice available and some very helpful members. Hopefully get to meet some people during the year.
Old 19-05-2015, 10:40 PM   #2
J D

Great review TonyG, I still think its the best handling monster ever. I have the standard 1200 now and think its too brutal for a street bike. Its also very flighty when pushed on, (a problem I never had on the 1100s).
I took the 821 for a spin on a recent Ducati open day and liked it better than the 1200, so much so that I've ordered one. Similar power and torque to the 1100s (well, up on hp, down on torque) but still plenty for me, also aged 54!
Old 20-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #3
steeevvvooo

Bike: M1100evo
nice one. The 1100s is the ultimate air cooled monster, so one for the purists.... I would say that though as I am biased

Water cooled from now on so the 1100s, and the Evos, should be future classics although the added bling of an S makes that a winner IMO
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #4
Black Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post
nice one. The 1100s is the ultimate air cooled monster, so one for the purists.... I would say that though as I am biased

Water cooled from now on so the 1100s, and the Evos, should be future classics although the added bling of an S makes that a winner IMO
Yeah, yeah, whatever.

You forget that the Evo proudly hangs "Ducati's most powerful 2-valver ever" twixt its tubes.
Old 20-05-2015, 07:22 PM   #5
uksurfer
Its all grey now

Bike: M1200s
1100s was just a 1100 with the added gold basics, the evo must be the last of the air cooled monsters ever

Obviously not biased, but the black ones are faster (and dirtier in bobs case)
Old 20-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #6
mart64

Quote:
Originally Posted by uksurfer View Post
Obviously not biased, but the black ones are faster (and dirtier in bobs case)
Nah carbon is the quickest
Old 20-05-2015, 08:44 PM   #7
garry

a bit older than you tonyg at 57, and like most on here been through a daft amount of rides over the years, some with power that really shouldnt be road legal.....

my evo is now matched to my needs, and the feel of the motor is sublime, this ones deffo a keeper.
Old 20-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #8
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
They didn't make it in yellow because there are no tyres that could handle the incredible speeds it would have made

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #9
Black Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
They didn't make it in yellow because there are no tyres that could handle the incredible speeds it would have made

Very good.

I think it's the sheer speed that makes mine as dirty as it is.

Special announcement : I shall be washing it on Monday, weather permitting.
Old 23-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #10
TonyG

Smile Glad there are other old gits around

Thanks for the replies.

Took Friday off work and rode down to the coast, lovely apart from the misty rain.

I love my 1100s and it's basic gold bits
Old 13-06-2015, 07:06 PM   #11
desmobob

Great write up Tony.

There is something about how they feel when you are riding them, and winding open the throttle.

It's almost like they are alive...
Old 22-06-2015, 07:03 PM   #12
EvoAde

I think I can 'top trump' you age wise as I'm 58 and riding an 1100 evo I've owned since last year (been riding 42 yrs). I bought it with lots of extra's but the most useful for low speed running was the 14 tooth front sprocket and the Rexxa remap by Cornerspeed Ducati. It's a great bike and although I took an 821 for a test-ride, the evo is just as nice to ride. I've also had the suspension set up properly (by K.A.I.S) which has really made a big difference. Having the seat foam re-shaped and flattening out the seat a bit has really helped the nadger squishing issue. I've been riding mostly Harley's for the last 22 yrs and wish I'd discovered Ducati's sooner!
Old 22-06-2015, 08:26 PM   #13
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
At 59, I think I am the oldest (so far ;-) ) Evo owner, and this will be my last so it is a keeper, really love it now I have made a few mods, lowered the bars to the same height as the 1100S as I have a bad back and sitting upright is a pain, this was done by buying the lower 1100S risers, 14th front sprocket, Termi's and Rexxerr flash, again from Cornerspeed, K-Tech reworked forks, a Wilbers rear shock, and SBS. Track/road brake pads.
Just sorting out some new reasets, sorted some carbon covers and grill for the oil cooler, very pleased with results :-) :-)
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #14
desmobob

I've had a couple of decent ride outs on my 1100s the last two days, and as usual, the Duc feels like it should.

Pulls like a class full of public schoolboys, and has me whooping out loud in my helmet.

Couple of niggles tho... me nads keep sliding into the tank so I may look into a seat reshape. Possibly get a nice cover on it at the same time.

Think I need to raise the bars a little so if anyone can recommend a set of risers, I'd be obliged. Worried that too high a lift will block the clock face.

Light on the dash needs to be on in daylight hours. Is this possible?

Plus side= It handles amazingly well, and it's only on the standard settings. Holds a line round a bend as well as my old 900ss, and that was GOOD! She looks absolutely beautiful from all angles. The sound is thunderous. And then there's the feel. It comes through the bars, through the pegs and thru the seat of your pants. The uneducated call it vibration. We call it character. Two big eff off cylinders rising and falling, completely undamped by a water jacket, transferring the thumping power strokes through the block and the frame.

These bikes have a soul, I do declare.
Old 24-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #15
garry

these are in the for sale section by neilo.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Mon...item419869ab98