UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Bike Reviews :. » Bike Reviews » M1100 » 1100 Evo Test Ride

Old 08-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Tomfoolery

Post 1100 Evo Test Ride

Bike: Ducati Monster 1100 Evo
Weather: Beautiful sunshine, 23º
Footwear: Daytonas

I've loved Monsters for a looooong time. But I've never had the desire to actually purchase a real one before now. Yeah, I've looked at M750/800/900s, but they've always been too expensive for what they are, and no substitute for my GS. A new one, however, a new one with Traction Control, ABS, fuel injection, decent service intervals, a single-sided swingarm and a killer exhaust note sounds ****ing brilliant.

I rode down to Hyside Motorcycles on the edge of East London hoping it wouldn't rain, chatted with the non-commital, but also not patronising manager dude, sipped a cheap coffee and had the bike warmed up.

The bike's loud. Proper, aftermarket race can loud. I instantly forget all ideas about stumping up £1300 for the Termi system. The bike's tiny. Buell tiny. The bike's pretty. Breathtakingly pretty. The proportions are cock-on. The gap between the rear wheel and seat unit, the trellis chassis, the thin-spoke wheels, the forks, calipers, that snaking exhaust. I even like the stacked exhaust cans. I hated them in the pictures, they dominate the bike, but in the flesh they melt into the whole. Lovely. Firstly, I stall it. I use two fingers on the clutch, and trapped my third and fourth behind the bar and lurched it. Ah, well.

Out into traffic and my hips are killing me. I have a weird thing where if I get into a certain position, a nerve or something gets pinched or whatever and I get pain. It's like cramp. It hurts for a few minutes, I shuffle around and it goes. If it continues, it's a deal-breaker. Thankfully, it never returns. Even when I stop for a bit then get back on. I sigh with relief.

The clutch is wet, unlike older Monsters and light, the 1/4 turn throttle is light and accurate, the brakes are great (although need adjusting for me) and the suspension feels lovely, but again not set up correctly.

The whole bike feels taught, light, stiff, eager and naughty. I don't realise how naughty until we get to some country roads and I'm cracking the ton, taking corners up to 30mph faster than the GS, with no effort. It turns in quick with little effort, gets to mid-lean and you can feel the stability once there. You can then decide what to do, lean more, less, brake, gas whatever. Lovely. The ABS is wonderful to use, and not intrusive in the slightest. You can feel it working at the lever, but the front end stays glued.

The engine is instantly my favourite. 8 stone less weight and another 20bhp means it leaps ahead compared to the GS, and keeps on revving where the GS slows. Six gears make good use of the power. It's happy down to around 2750rpm, pulls urgently then flies. On the brief motorway stint on the way back, I sit at 80 and have a play, and there's no need to change gear at all.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Tomfoolery

I'm riding familar roads I used to commute 300 miles a week on and give it some. The tyres feel great (standard Pirellia Diablo somethings) and kick out a surprising amount of heat when I stop. I have a crack at some faster corners and take advantage of the stability. I've yet to work out how to ride it, so stop hanging off and get onto it. Arse stays where it is, I drop my shoulder and lean in to some 90mph sweepers, bars shimmy-ing over the bigger bumps. I'm laughing the entire time. Full throttle is reached quickly, gears snicked in, exhaust is roaring. It bangs and spits as I change down, seeing if I can feel the slipper clutch working, but I can't. It feels like the reciprocating parts of the engine are tiny, and making a disproportionate amount of power. What an engine. What a noise. What a bike. I want it.

I stop in a village I've photographed many bikes in, but I don't want to hang around. I don't care about taking loads of shots, I want to jump on a ride the thing. Never had that on a test ride before...

I'm frustratedly flicking through menus on the dash, trying to find the TC settings and such, but can't work it out. Seems there are four modes, but I can't cycle through them. I'm hoping one of them is a 'makes you ride like Stoner' mode.

I get back, and start talking. I don't ask for discount, he doesn't mention it. He has no prices for parts I'm interested in (the downloadable data USB thing, tail-tidy etc), which is annoying. £200 a month he comes up with. Hmmm...very, very interesting. But he doesn't seem interested. Unlike the fat prick who turned up in some off-road Audi who he couldn't be more helpful too. Git.

I want it. Time to start cleaning up the GS...
Old 08-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
Tomfoolery

When I jump on my faithful GS, which has taken me all over the UK and across Europe, it feels disappointing. The engine isn't torquey anymore, it's flat and worse, has flat spots across the rev range I'd not even noticed before. The throttle turns too far, the brakes are too spongey, it takes too much effort to turn, the rear shock is too soft and the front unadjustable. The riding position feels tilted back like a chopper, although the seat feels lovely. I'd order a more comfortable seat if I got a Monster.

I hadn't realised what an effort riding the GS is. This is the main impression I'm left with, and the most surprising. The GS takes effort the M1100 didn't need. The light throttle, brakes and riding position/chassis make it effortless for me.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Go buy one. I had a swap ride on one last thursday at Ducati Ashford when the 1100s was in for service. 2 hours play. I did comment that its what I would have if I hadn't got mine. Very good write up indeed and far better than mine.

Good luck with the purchase if you do.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
rac3r

Haha great read, good luck with the hunt
Old 08-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Go buy one. I had a swap ride on one last thursday at Ducati Ashford when the 1100s was in for service. 2 hours play. I did comment that its what I would have if I hadn't got mine. Very good write up indeed and far better than mine.

Good luck with the purchase if you do.
Just read your review before I posted, funnily enough. I'd agree with everything you said. Even though I've never ridden an 1100S. Clever, eh?

Invaluable insight, though. I'd talked to a journo I've met before who had an 1100S for a while who was very keen on it, and preferred it to the Triumph he's currently using.

It's left a big impression on me...
Old 08-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomfoolery View Post
The riding position feels tilted back like a chopper, although the seat feels lovely. I'd order a more comfortable seat if I got a Monster.
I found it very comfy stock. My original seat has done just 130 miles return journey. I have the touring seat 2 up and the very expensive £600 DP solo one. It felt as good as them.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #8
Tomfoolery

I'm never one to jump into a purchase, so I'd leave it until I'm writhing in agony, cursing why I didn't buy one before
Old 08-07-2011, 11:05 PM   #9
Pomp1

Wasn't too keen on Hyside the one time I had to deal with them. Good luck on getting the bike thought!
Old 08-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #10
Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomp1 View Post
Wasn't too keen on Hyside the one time I had to deal with them. Good luck on getting the bike thought!
Did that come across in my writing?

I'm going up to Parkinson's next time I need to. Triumph first next week, though.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #11
Tomfoolery

I hate this photo, but it's the only one I took of the left side. The right side has all the good bits

Old 09-07-2011, 07:26 AM   #12
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
A great review. And the bike is even better in stealth black

Go and buy one!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
Tomfoolery

Thank-you.

I like the black, but not the black frame. If I get bored of the colour, I'd get one of those bodykits they do for the 796. Probably the silver Pantah one. Yum.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #14
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomfoolery View Post
Thank-you.

I like the black, but not the black frame. If I get bored of the colour, I'd get one of those bodykits they do for the 796. Probably the silver Pantah one. Yum.
The black doesn't have a black frame - it is a silver grey.

I think the body kits would look better on that frame rather than a red one
Old 09-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #15
Panther

Thats a lovely bike singletrack, for me if the cans were a shade darker similar the the engine case or frame it would me it perfect.

Enjoy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: