UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Bike Reviews :. » Bike Reviews » M1100 » Monster S4Rs versus Monster Evo 1100 test

Old 27-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #16
Rally
Taking life easy........

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Thank you all for your kind comments about the report. I tried my best to be constructive in both ways for both bikes.

The great news is that they are both fantastic and are Monsters.
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #17
Fugly

And in doing so you didn't tell us all what monsieur Plod is doing you for

If it's any concillation I got done by the German Police last week for being 6kmh over the limit on a restricted stretch of Autobahn in a RHD Nisan Almera FFS!
Old 27-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #18
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Bike: M1100s
OK Alun you've tried the rest now try the best..

Go and get your back side on a Streetfighter..
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #19
singletrack

I tried a Monster 1100 Evo yesterday too - although I didn't get a speeding ticketor any fancy photos .
I really enjoyed the ride. There was plenty of power and plenty of torque but the engine did not seem as smooth as my Hypermotard - possibly because the new EVO is single spark rather than twin spark?
They should both be similar BHP as the Hyper has racing cams, but the HYM is lighter and you can feel that when accelerating.

The engine of the Monster is a little lumpy up to 3500 revs but once you get past that it is fairly smooth.

I cannot believe the noise from the standard exhausts - how did such a loud noise get through EU tests?

The road holding was great and it was good being able to grip the tank which I can't do on the Hyper. It made it feel like I had more control in the corners.
And because my Hyper has been lowered the ground clearance on the Monster is much better - not that I ever get anywhere near scraping the pegs anyway!

The reach to the bars is much better than on an old style Monster - I always used to feel like I was stretched right over the tank on my S2R. The new Monster bars are a better distance away but seem very wide - something I am sure I can get used to.

So I am undecided whether to replace my Hypermotard with an EVO - I really did like the ride, but I am not sure I want to start the whole "pimp my Ducati" thing again. Is it worth it just to get back on a Monster?

As for a Streetfighter - I rode one last year. What a great bike! Possibly the comfiest I have ridden, but I will never need or use all that power and it is a bit big and heavy for me.
Old 27-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #20
benson

Really interesting write up - today I sat on a Diavel for the first time and I'd love to take it out for a spin...Interesting thT you're thinking of another change Singletrack...Let us know what you might dedciddee on!
Old 27-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #21
singletrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by benson View Post
Really interesting write up - today I sat on a Diavel for the first time and I'd love to take it out for a spin...Interesting thT you're thinking of another change Singletrack...Let us know what you might dedciddee on!
I have had the Hyper for 3 years Rachel - longest I have ever owned a bike by miles! I would like to keep the Hypermotard AND buy a Monster but would need to butter up my other half significantly to do so.
Old 27-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #22
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Bike: M1100s
Anne I've also had my hyper for three years, first time in years that I've had to get an MOT but theres no way I'd want to sell it as just like you I find it so easy to ride...

Send Andrew up north and I'll have a word with him for you because as your signature says... a woman can never have to many bikes...

The streetfighter is very comfortable but blimey its manic...
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #23
benson

Oh Anne you can't sell the hyper! Had mine nearly 4 years including the infamous write off! They have to be one of the most amazing bikes ever but having spent the day on my old 900ie I'm still very very smitten......Enjoy whatever you do
Old 27-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #24
benson

Sorry - forgot to mention the m750 - still an amazing bike and oh so sweet for the commute and the mad half hour on the way home... Ducati for always.....
Old 27-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #25
Rally
Taking life easy........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugly View Post
And in doing so you didn't tell us all what monsieur Plod is doing you for
Phil,
Lets just say that they invited us to watch a movie (sorry video) of our antics at three figure speeds in the back of the car. After discovering who we were, what we were doing and our collective training, it was agreed that we weren't being dangerous in anyway, just a little fast. As the Evo speedo was only reading a two figure speed at the time as well, we settled for some points (Cause they make prizes! ) and a fixed penalty fine. I think we were treated very fairly in the circumstances.
Old 27-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #26
rollo22

Bike: M1100evo
Single Track you definatly need no excuse to change the "H" to an "M"
I am pretty sure Fleabay sell buttering up knives
Old 27-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #27
J.P
No more Monster...

Same conclusion I would have come to.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #28
Fugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally View Post
Phil,
we settled for some points (Cause they make prizes! ) and a fixed penalty fine. I think we were treated very fairly in the circumstances.
Hi Rally,
That I would call a fair result then
Old 28-04-2011, 09:56 AM   #29
alan c
alan (blockhead) c

Bike: M1100
Well doe Alan, great write up and those pictures

bet it was hard not to smile when sitting in cop car telling them " i am testing for Mcn ", sounds like a fair cop though.
alan c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 04:56 AM   #30
Rally
Taking life easy........

Cheers Al,
It was funny when we asked if there was popcorn as well during the movie! It was fair of them and they treated us well really. The test write up should be in today's MCN by the way.