UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Bike Reviews :. » Bike Reviews » M1100 » Initial thoughts of my Monster 1100 20th

Old 19-06-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
oomidamon

Initial thoughts of my Monster 1100 20th

I thought I’d write a little update on how I’m getting on with my Monster. I have only done 450 miles so far but I'm getting a good idea of how it rides. This is EXACTLY the bike I wanted, it’s so much fun! It reminds me of my old KTM Superduke – it just encourages me to be naughty. If it is this much fun when I'm running it in then it'll be a riot when I can give it the full berries! It looks fantastic and sounds great, even on the original can. I have an SC Projects can to put on it but really don’t see the need.

I do find that the handling is a little ‘lively’ – it feels very light at the front at higher speeds but when just hooning along A & B roads it’s perfect. It is firmly sprung but that is part of the character of the bike – it isn’t meant to be a comfy armchair.

My only real issue so far is with comfort – I find that the seat starts to get uncomfortable after about half an hour, which isn’t great. My other half says that she finds it the pillion seat is the same so maybe I’ll invest in the Touring seat. I'd be interested to hear any opinions of that if anybody has tried one.

Overall I've got no regrets about buying it and I think I’ll be keeping it for a good while. Bring on the summer!

I'll get some photos too!
Old 19-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
The Touring seat should certainly help a little bit but don't expect it to be like a comfy Sofa.
As regard to the handling, it could be worth at some point getting yourself along to a suspension set up. The lightness at the front may be a consequence of the bike squatting back too much under acceleration. Worth a go and for £40-£50 it should be worthwhile.

Great that you're having fun on it anyway and it's more fun after the first service.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 02:05 PM   #3
Rally
Taking life easy........

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
I tried a touring seat on mine and found it worse than the standard one. I then tried the lowered softer covered seat and found it to be really comfortable. I used that one for three years over many longer trips without any issues.

Try before you buy!
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
MerlinPV12

Bike: M1100evo
I have the DP seat on mine and did two recent 300 mile trips on it and found it way more comfortable than stock, it does mean that your good lady would be left at home as their is no padding under the cowl... perhaps a two seat Monster

As JP says it could be worth getting the suspension set up for your weight and an option for when you take a passenger - if you think you're having fun now its even more fun with "fettled" suspension
Old 19-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
oomidamon

Cheers all, some good tips here. I will investigate getting the suspension sorted at some point. I had a seat re-done years ago by a company called Bum Wraps. They did a great job but I thing they went out of business.
Old 19-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #6
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oomidamon View Post
I had a seat re-done years ago by a company called Bum Wraps. They did a great job but I thing they went out of business.
That's a bum ra........

I'll get my coat

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
oomidamon

Old 19-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #8
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinPV12 View Post
I have the DP seat on mine and did two recent 300 mile trips on it and found it way more comfortable than stock, it does mean that your good lady would be left at home as their is no padding under the cowl... perhaps a two seat Monster

As JP says it could be worth getting the suspension set up for your weight and an option for when you take a passenger - if you think you're having fun now its even more fun with "fettled" suspension
I have the DP seat too and the stock and the tourer. The tourer feels the same density as the DP seat and I like both. I am too tall for the sports lowered seat anyhow.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2014, 11:33 PM   #9
Black Bob

Hi,

I hated the suspension set up on mine when I got it. The spring was way too hard, the damping not adjustable for compression and it was just horrible. I junked it for a Nitron, sprung for my weight. Getting the rear sorted out helped the front no end.

The front forks were merely dialled in, including winding up the pre-load to almost maximum so that the front didn't sag so much when I sat on it. This made the bike much less "nose down", which had the benefit of (i) making the bars a little less flappy, but still steers quick enough and, (ii) slight reduction in seat slope towards the tank which spares your junk from getting squished all the time.

Getting the suspension sorted is the best money you can spend on the bike right now.
Old 16-08-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
oomidamon

Time for a little update. It's now had the first service and I'm putting a few miles on it. Since the service I have fitted an SC Projects end can and a DP touring seat. The can doesn't make a great deal of difference to noise or performance but it looks good so I'm happy enough. The seat is great, it has a lot more padding in it and it feels like I'm sitting higher on the bike. Overall I'm really happy with the bike and the little mods have helped it feel a bit more like it's 'mine'.
Old 19-08-2014, 01:18 PM   #11
steeevvvooo

Did you have the Termis on before or standard cans? Any pics with the SC can on?

I got one with the bike I bought but haven't got around to thinking about fitting it yet
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 12:03 AM   #12
oomidamon

Sorry for the delay! No I didn't have a Termi on it previously but I have ridden an Evo with them. I'm pleased with this can, but the stock one is great too.

Some pics (not on my bike)

Old 25-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #13
Dirty
Bockloks

No wheely bins!

Liking the wheel barrow though

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 09:02 AM   #14
chris.p
Gold Member

Nice,

Suspension wise, they are not the best, but it all depends on what you want from the bike, having just come from a 748R to 1100 Evo, I found the suspension is severely lacking , so after mucho deliberation I have ordered a Wilbur's rear shock with remote bottle for compression adjustment from http://www.revsracing.co.uk/, should be here next week, once that is fitted and I have saved a few more quid, I will be taking the forks to them, they will be re-springing, putting heavier oil in them and fitting K-Tech compression adjusters, the biggest problem is that they are sealed cartridges in them and they can not be re shimmed .

Also I have termi's and DP ecu fitted, but as many know the fuelling for town is rubbish, so I have had a Rexxer ECU flash done by Neil at http://cornerspeed.co.uk/, see this thread for details
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ghlight=rexxer.
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #15
oomidamon

Not my photos Dirty so I can't take credit for any garden equipment ��

Thanks Chris, the seat has made a big improvement so I'll keep it as it is for a while. I'll be interested to hear how you get on with your mods.

Last edited by oomidamon; 26-10-2014 at 06:22 PM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: