UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Bike Reviews :. » Bike Reviews » M1100 » First Service and few mods

Old 19-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Coolie

First Service and few mods

Hi All

Finally i've successfully navigated to the M1100 pages - not so good at these Forum's so its taken me a while to find this section.

Thought i'd post this to report on quality of Service and some worth mods others might be considering etc.

I purchased my bike from JHP in Coventry, and so returned for the first service. Excellent Service and attention to the customer al round would be my summary - nothing too much bother on the day.

Routine service was nothing to report and seemed reasonable value on its own - short time between booking in and ava space in the workshop.

On the day after discussion, i settled for down sizing the front sprocket to improve town use (and over gearing generally) and for a billet JHP clutch slave cylinder to be fitted - to improve my control of the clutch essentially (i've reduce weight a little, and improve feel). That was no bother to do on the day, and part in stock.

Whilst there, and work being done, i also opted to change the following bits, JHP open clutch cover (billet), DP red clutch pressure plate, black anodised clutch springs, and stainless bolts - hopefully that should all keep the area looking neat (ie no corrosion on mild steel parts), and it looks great together. Then added a DP billet oil cap in matching red. And finally, a clear tank pad.

What is good about spending time in the shop whilst service is being done - is you get time to look at the parts (and nothing seems too much bother to show, demo, discuss) and what they look like on various bikes there, for example - i've pretty much settled on a none Carbon look for my bike, given i've got the matt silver and the shiny carbon clashes i think.

I wanted the following also,
- Termi/DP Titanium exhaust system (cans, with ecu and air filter)
- DP tail tidy unit
- JHP fork protectors
- JHP billet sprocket (now this isn't an item which is ava for the M1100 due to differences - in engine cases etc -they only do a cardon item as yet. However, after discussion, they reckon they can re-machine an item from another fitment and get it re anodised), so looking forward to seeing that done
-Considering black anodised replacement levels, not sure on the make here - not sure i've seen the ones i like (had Rizmola on my R6 before)
-JHP billet fuel cap - quick release, in black anodised, Again, not an item done for the M1100 - but they will look into mod-ing another item
- Not sure on frame protectors as yet, not sure i've something which will work with the look i thinking of (simple, and understated is the type of thing)

So, couple hours at JHP this AM was a really good outcome, great service, helped me clear-up the direction i wanted to go in re-mods, spent some money, and decided where the next pennies will go.

I must say, the bike goes great now, given i had all the clutch parts done and the sprocket (and a service, with re-tensioned chain) - its diff to isolate which things makes it some much better, but the clutch and transmission are a complete turn-around and it feels so much more natural to use now. The gearing is like day and night - such an improvement in the town and at low speed, and means you can extend the engine on the open road more too (this is a must do mod).

I'm completely taken by the noise of the thing with the open clutch, sounds great. To be honest, i'm not so sure i need the Termis now. The overall sound of clutch, engine and exhaust might be spot on without the Termis now.

It was nice to find a gap in the weather today too, got there and back (the long way round!) without getting wet - result! Bring on the spring i say :-)
Old 19-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
It sounds like you've sized up Ducati ownership perfectly...

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2010, 01:07 AM   #3
Coolie

Hi All

I've been looking up brake / clutch levers for the Monster, i'm looking for full size - black - with red adjusters. I'm thinking rizoma or ASV so far (i know CRG and Pazzo are the popular ones) - hence thinking something different. Any thoughts on which might be best?

Also, does anyone know if these things are easy to self fit? Any tips on the fitting - does it upset the clutch adjustment etc.

Cheers in advance

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: