UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » 1100 Evo mods - an addicts tale

Old 08-05-2017, 11:34 AM   #1
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
1100 Evo mods - an addict's tale

Here's a bold, (and probably premature), claim: I think I've finally stopped buying things for my Monster. Having purchased just about every aftermarket goody available over the past few years, (#moremoneythansense!), I think I've reached saturation point.

My aims were to replace every piece of black plastic or tin with carbon fibre, smooth out the low speed rough-running and improve the rather "unsophisticated" suspension.

Since I lack either the skill to undertake ambitious projects like 350TSS and Yorkie or the creativity to produce something like MerlinPV12's gorgeous reimagining, most of these mods are just bolt-ons - no skill required! To the casual observer, even another Evo owner, the changes might not be obvious but that was also one of my aims. I wanted it to look as though it came from the factory like this, like maybe an SP version, and I'm pleased with the end result.

We seem to have had quite a few new 1100 Evo owners on here recently so, to show them what aftermarket bits & bobs are available to personalise their Monster, here's a list of everything I've added to mine and where to get it. A lot of the accessories will also fit the 696 and 796 of course.

Last edited by Luddite; 10-05-2017 at 07:06 PM..
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:35 AM   #2
Luddite

Working from the rear...

• Ducati Performance tail tidy (96768109B). More expensive than R&G or Evotech but a guaranteed good fit. It does come with a bracket for the original reflector but I prefer a cleaner look, hence the 20p stick-on jobbies.
• Coupled with Ducati Performance LED indicators (96629909B). These are "plug & play" and come with the necessary resistors attached. Strangely, these only flash at the correct rate when the engine is running; with the engine off they flash at double speed (something I didn't realise until phoning Moto Rapido for advice - embarrassing ��).
• Carbon cap for the seat hump - just for looks. From Carbon4US in Spain (www.carbon4us.com).
• Smoked rear light lens. A straight swap for the OE red one. From Desmoworld in Germany (www.desmoworld.de). Goes better with the indicators, I think.
• Ducati Performance comfort saddle (96766909B). Slightly higher riding position and flatter profile, which stops you sliding into the tank. Much more comfortable than the OE seat over distance.

Last edited by Luddite; 01-07-2019 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: Escape from Photobucket!
Old 08-05-2017, 11:36 AM   #3
Luddite

• Carbon chainguard from Carbon4US. Very nice quality. A complete replacement for the stock item, including the swingarm guard. However, because the replacement chain runner was hard carbon, it was quite noisy and 'clattery'. I wasn't sure how durable it would be either as I'd also fitted a 14 tooth front sprocket, which brings the chain closer to the swinging arm. I ended up cutting the old and new guards in half and mating the back of the carbon one to the front of the plastic one.
• Öhlins DU737 shock. Adjustable for preload and rebound (40 clicks). Note that, as delivered, the preload was too firm with no static sag at all. A couple of turns of the preload rings did the trick and the ride is definitely more controlled than the stock Sachs unit. The Öhlins spring rate is 115 N/mm.
• Gold DID X-ring chain, mainly for the bling factor.
• Carbon hugger from Fullsix carbon fibre. (http://m.fullsixcarbon.com/) Flawless finish and a perfect fit. A straight swap for the plastic original. Available through Moto Rapido.
• MR rearsets from Desmoworld (http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=54406). Beautifully made with plenty of adjustment.
• 14 tooth Renthal front sprocket. To help smooth out low speed running. Gives a boost to acceleration too. No obvious downsides (although, in theory, it could wear the chain more quickly along with the swingarm chain guard).
• Carbon front sprocket cover from Fullsix via Moto Rapido.
• Frame plugs and seat hump washers. Again from Desmoworld. You could argue that they keep moisture out of the frame but I just like the way they look.
• Oberon clutch slave cylinder. Nicely made from billet and eases town riding as it reduces effort at the lever by about 30%. You do lose a little lift, so a span-adjustable lever is a useful addition to maximise travel (see below). (http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/...ders_DCSC.html)

Last edited by Luddite; 27-02-2020 at 12:37 PM..
Old 08-05-2017, 11:37 AM   #4
Luddite

• Ducati Performance billet timing inspection cover (96644908B). Totally unnecessary. I think Craig at Moto Rapido sold me this during a moment of weakness.
• Carbon and stainless cable cover from Carbonworld (www.carbonworld.de). The stainless plate gives it a bit more strength than the plain carbon ones.

Last edited by Luddite; 01-07-2019 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Escape from Photobucket
Old 08-05-2017, 11:38 AM   #5
Luddite

• Billet aluminium valve cover from MVS Performance in Germany (http://www.mvs-performance.de/Ducati...2V-valve-cover) Beautifully machined. I hadn't realised until I swapped them over that the originals are just black plastic. (I thought they were painted aluminium.)
• After experiencing a slight leak from the OE filter, (which tightening failed to fix), I thought I'd try the K&N alternative (KN-153) (http://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/pr...px?prod=KN-153) These come with a 17mm hex head, which makes removal easy and means you can tighten it to the correct torque (11 Nm) without the special wrench. It looks and feels of comparable quality to the OE version and, so far, no leaks!

Last edited by Luddite; 01-07-2019 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: Escape from Photobucket
Old 08-05-2017, 11:39 AM   #6
Luddite

• Carbon fibre oil cooler cover and shrouds from Carbon4US. Nice quality carbon with a good fit. Bit fiddly to install though. Comes with a mesh cooler guard, which is a bonus. Strangely, the 696 and 1100 have the same oil cooler cover, but the 696 comes with a mesh guard as standard (46013431A). I can't see any reason why the mesh couldn't be fitted to the 796/1100 if you wanted extra protection. I don't think cooling is an issue as I've never had any overheating problems with mine.

Last edited by Luddite; 01-07-2019 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: Escape from Photobucket
Old 08-05-2017, 04:49 PM   #7
yusaf1

Bike: M800ie
Good effort! How about that handlebar clamp though?
yusaf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:44 PM   #8
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by yusaf1 View Post
Good effort! How about that handlebar clamp though?
Seconded, but never mind the clamp, what about the black plastic biscuit tin that is the airbox?
Old 08-05-2017, 09:11 PM   #9
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
+1 for the K&N oil filter. But you do have to put the spanner or socket onto the "nut" properly and hold it on. I have rounded one off very easily and also torn one right off the filter body... That's removing, not fitting.
Mostly they work very well, but don't tolerate any hamfistedness.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:25 PM   #10
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
+1 for the K&N oil filter. But you do have to put the spanner or socket onto the "nut" properly and hold it on.
Thanks for the heads-up, Mr Gazza. I haven't tried removing one yet so I'll take extra care at the next oil change.
Old 23-11-2020, 10:11 PM   #11
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Well now you've done the carbon thing, why not try titanium now that is an expensive habit, truly addictive. Bitza
Old 24-11-2020, 09:25 AM   #12
mickj

Bike: M1200s
I find most grips way too thin so often cover them with a length of cricket bat rubber to make them thicker but I'm still on the look out for thicker grips.
Old 24-11-2020, 10:58 AM   #13
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgt View Post
I find most grips way too thin so often cover them with a length of cricket bat rubber to make them thicker but I'm still on the look out for thicker grips.
How about some 70's era NVT anti-vibration grips?... You know you've got something in your hands with a pair of those!!
Personally I often used to change them for for more normal Wassell grips as they are more comfortable and feel more precise somehow.

https://www.rgmnorton.co.uk/buy/hand...r-7-8_2356.htm

https://www.rgmnorton.co.uk/buy/hand...n-7-8_4103.htm

https://www.rgmnorton.co.uk/buy/hand...-8-pr_2357.htm

https://www.rgmnorton.co.uk/buy/hand...black_4355.htm

RGM is good company to deal with. Normally next day delivery.
Old 24-11-2020, 05:37 PM   #14
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgt View Post
Look up Grip Puppies on fleabay, have them on my 12R after suffering with a sore hand, work just fine and fit over stock grips
Old 24-11-2020, 10:44 AM   #15
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitza View Post
Well now you've done the carbon thing, why not try titanium now that is an expensive habit, truly addictive. Bitza
Don't tempt me! (Bad man! )