UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » For Sale » Talking of Pro-Twins.....

Old 16-11-2019, 08:50 PM   #1
Flip

Bike: M900
Talking of Pro-Twins.....

....Look what they've got for sale on eBay.

A real life, brand new Liberace fuel tank- last one of these I saw was on co-club founder Fatbloke's Monster (although Sazza G had the glittery black version on her bike) and if I remember correctly both bikes were bought new as special editions not fitted with aftermarket DP tanks:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Mo...cAAOSwi7RdwX9s
Old 16-11-2019, 09:59 PM   #2
Darkness

Bike: M900
Mmmmm. Glittery!
Old 16-11-2019, 11:10 PM   #3
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Interesting that they state that "this tank can be used on ALL Ducati Monsters with carburettors, if used with a 900SS '91-'97 fuel pump (carb model)".
Filed for future reference.

I believe that Dukedesmo has a similar tank on his carbed, big bore 900 special, though I'm not sure which pump he used.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Interesting that they state that "this tank can be used on ALL Ducati Monsters with carburettors, if used with a 900SS '91-'97 fuel pump (carb model)".
Filed for future reference.

I believe that Dukedesmo has a similar tank on his carbed, big bore 900 special, though I'm not sure which pump he used.
I was gazing at my 750SS a few minutes ago and pondering your post.
Mine is an injection model.. A 750SSie to be precise.. I would have thought that it would have the same fuel pump, regulator and fuel rail set up as my M900Sie of the same year.
Whether or not the carb model pumps are the same or different I wouldn't know, but I believe they employ a fuel rail similar to the ie models. I imagine the difference is in the pressure required by carbs or injectors and therefore there would probably be different regulators employed for the specific system. If the pressure requirements are greatly different then I imagine that different pumps would be employed, of optimised delivery, otherwise just using the specific regulator might be enough?

That tank looks like it is carved from a big blob of Pork Cheese! For that money you could buy a tidy tank and get a nice spray job on it..
Old 17-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #5
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I was thinking that, from the way the pro-twins ad was worded, it sounded like it was more likely that the 900ss (carb type) pump delivered a low enough pressure on its own and either would not require a regulator or had some sort of integral regulator built into the pump assembly.
Just assumptions though ... obviously I would need to check all this when the time comes to fit my injection style carbon tank.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2019, 07:36 PM   #6
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Doh! You've caught me overthinking that!
Obviously in the case of the bare tank listed and your bare Carbon tank, you would be sourcing new parts anyway. So it's a (relatively) simple process of sourcing the whole SS carbie system. Pump, regulator and fuel rail. The later is just a rubber hose that connects to double spigot banjos on the carbs and forms a continuous loop to and from the tank with the carbs in series as it were. On the ie models the regulator is also in series on the rail with the injectors. I couldn't say about the SS carbie or even, as you suggest, that there is a regulator.

Hopefully your carbon tank has the appropriate clips inside for the pump and filter, more hopefully the SS type pump is the same physical size as the injector one and will fit the clip.

You will also need a fuel level sender, whether functional or not, as the cables that power the pump are part of that assembly, and the hole needs filling anyway.

The filler is another issue as it's a different (larger) size to the carb version, so you'll need the larger mounting ring, but not sure if the actual filler cap is interchangeable, so you can keep the same key. Maybe it's possible to just swap the barrel over?

Can't wait to see it on your bike...