UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Speedo glass

Old 31-10-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
the lodger

Bike: M900
Speedo glass

Ok so it's not glass but plastic on a M900 and mine is glazed and cracked -a common probem I understand. I intend to get it replaced professionally as it's not a job I fancy doing, so I'm looking for quotes. I know of Peter Bond , but is there anyone else I should try ?

Many thanks
the lodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #2
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Hi, I have a speedo off a 1994 M900, in nice condition showing 14,500miles, the only issue with it is that a couple of insects have got inside and attached themselves to the lense. If it would be any use to you you can have it for £35 inc P&P in UK. Bitza
Old 31-10-2019, 05:59 PM   #3
the lodger

That's a very fair offer but I couldn't cope with seeing the insects once I know they are there !!
Cheers
the lodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:38 PM   #4
Graham04

Bike: M620ie
I know this might be a bit late but it is fairly simple to split the speedo cases on the early monster. You have to do this to replace bulbs.
Graham04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:18 PM   #5
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
A guy I know bought some camera lens filers online, 92mm I seem to recall, removed the standard cracked lenses and glued the filters on in their place, cost him about £12 in filters and thy look perfect ... this was on an S2R100
Zimbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 12:04 AM   #6
Graham04

Bike: M620ie
There is a company called Speedy Cables who repair and restore all types of clocks. If you don't fancy splitting the clocks, give them a call. easily found online.
Graham04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #7
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
A guy I know bought some camera lens filers online, 92mm I seem to recall, removed the standard cracked lenses and glued the filters on in their place, cost him about £12 in filters and thy look perfect ... this was on an S2R100
I thought he used these at 95mm
Filter Link

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.

Last edited by Stafford; 18-11-2019 at 09:30 AM..
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #8
ledheadlamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham04 View Post
There is a company called Speedy Cables who repair and restore all types of clocks. If you don't fancy splitting the clocks, give them a call. easily found online.
I would consider this in the first place, seems a better option then.
Old 14-11-2019, 05:53 PM   #9
Flip

If you’re going to have a go at replacing it yourself then there are plenty of people on eBay selling Acrylic discs in various thicknesses and diameters as standard or will cut them to custom sizes to suit your requirements.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F293015681235
Old 15-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #10
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledheadlamp View Post
I would consider this in the first place, seems a better option then.
https://speedycables.com/speedometer-calibration/
Old 15-11-2019, 06:20 PM   #11
Bitza
Bronze Member

Well as nobody wanted my old speedo I tried taking it apart to get the insects out. Turns out it's not an easy job as the bezel that holds the lense in place is glued to the speedo body, and the lense seems to be held in & possibly glued to the bezel. Taking the bezel off inevitably involves breaking the fine base edge of the bezel, and without this edge the speedo would sit too far into the instrument/warning lights holder. You could clean of all the broken edge, glue the bezel back on and replace the section which has been removed with a thin collar. So personally I would send your broken speedo off to some professional who probably have replacement bezel/lenses. Bitza.
Old 15-11-2019, 10:56 PM   #12
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitza View Post
Well as nobody wanted my old speedo I tried taking it apart to get the insects out. Turns out it's not an easy job as the bezel that holds the lense in place is glued to the speedo body, and the lense seems to be held in & possibly glued to the bezel. Taking the bezel off inevitably involves breaking the fine base edge of the bezel, and without this edge the speedo would sit too far into the instrument/warning lights holder. You could clean of all the broken edge, glue the bezel back on and replace the section which has been removed with a thin collar. So personally I would send your broken speedo off to some professional who probably have replacement bezel/lenses. Bitza.
I have a small crack in my tacho lense. A year or two back I wrote and got a quote from someone to change it out, and was surprised by the cost. I figured it would be a relatively straight forward job for someone in the trade. So I wrote back a little miffed and questioned it. I then received a step by step account of all the work as per your post.

My tacho still has a small crack and the £280 estimated cost plus VAT has been spent on other bits for the bike...
Old 16-11-2019, 03:39 AM   #13
fireman sam

Bike: S2r
Cracked clocks

I did my s2r 800 clocks. The lenses are bonded perspex into polycarbonate the expand at different rates causing cracks. I purchased some multi tool routing burr tools off eBay and carefully cut out lenses. After taking clocks apart. Found instructions on YouTube. I got some 90mm bezels chrome with glass lens and rubber seals . From Wassel and bonded on top with a product called Tigerseal. They look lovely. It cost me £70. I wish I knew about the uv filter option I would have tried that. But happy with results. The tiger seal can be smoothed over after five mins with a wet finger inside to give a lovely finish . Just take your time.
fireman sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 08:10 AM   #14
Moco1961

Hi Paul, any pictures of the end result mate ?