UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Ignition fuse blows at high revs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #1
FrankenDesmo

Bike: M900
Ignition fuse blows at high revs

I've just replaced the RR on my M900, and I'll be honest I've replaced it with a cheapie from eBay for £25 so I'm aware this could very well be the source my problem - however:

Since wiring it in, the 'not-charging' light has gone out and the bike seems to run perfectly fine - unless I wind it out to max revs, at which point the 'not-charging' light returns and the bike dies. When this happens, the 7.5A ignition fuse has blown.

I've replaced the fuse and ridden around, keeping revs below roughly 6k, with no issue. I'm about to take it out again for another wee test ride (with a whole bunch of extra fuses just in case...) - I'll wind it out when I'm close to home to see if it happens again, and see if I can get a better idea of where the needle's pointing when the charge light pops up.

Is there anything particularly common that could be causing this? I struggle with the 'where to start' part when a new electrical gremlin surfaces, so any help is appreciated.

(I did do a reasonable search to see if this has been covered elsewhere on the forums, so my apologies if this is a common problem that's been done to death).
FrankenDesmo is offline   Reply With Quote