UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » ULEZ Options?

Old 23-10-2021, 01:43 PM   #16
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Technically it’s ‘07, although many manufaturers adopted early. It’s not in TFL interest to invest in doing this efficiently, as that just decreases revenue for them, whatever the official excuse.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 04:12 PM   #17
yellowfever

Bike: S2r 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Technically it’s ‘07, although many manufaturers adopted early. It’s not in TFL interest to invest in doing this efficiently, as that just decreases revenue for them, whatever the official excuse.
That’s right. 2007 on is accepted without fuss. And as you say it’s not really in their interest to make it easy otherwise. Before 2007 many bikes had already adopted Euro 3 standards in anticipation of them coming in (or the particular model met them anyway) and it may state this on the V5.

But, at least in my experience, even if your official V5 document clearly says it’s euro 3 standard, they’ll insist on you getting and sending them the CoC for your specific bike, unless the V5 also includes specific nox etc figures. There is no real policy/legal basis for this (given TFL readily accept 2007 onwards V5’s which only state Euro 3, but also don’t give specific figures) but they don’t care.

If TFL are particularly slow and incompetent and you make a big enough fuss, as I did, they may refund you the CoC cost in the guise of an ex gratia payment so they can pretend no precedent has been set for accepting what the V5 says on pre-2007 bikes and continue to boost revenue/force older vehicles off the road…
yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 05:44 AM   #18
PhilLew
600 dark

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
A £12.50 charge per day is bad enough but the new ULEZ coming into effect in Edinburgh doesn't have that option, if you enter the area in a non-compliant vehicle you are committing an offence and will be issued a fixed penalty notice of £60, this then doubles for each subsequent offence up to a maximum of £980.
Suddenly £12.50 doesn't seem so bad.
I'm self employed and my van is 2012 Euro5, the cut off is 2014 Euro6, so I either have to buy a new van or turn down any work in the ctiy.
PhilLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 05:59 PM   #19
crawsue
Bronze Member

Bike: M1100evo
And what about “Weegies” going to the American Duc guy off Leith Rd for service...how will that work?
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 06:25 PM   #20
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
I thought that the bikes from '02 on were e3 compliant? i think there is sticker on my airbox to that effect, although my own bike may not be due to spec updates at the factory?
As I discovered on another thread, http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...t=58828&page=2 the 'e3' label is not referring to the emissions standard, Darren, it's actually an "E-mark". The E-mark is a United Nations mark for approved vehicles and vehicle components sold into the EU. The E-number indicates the country of origin so, if you looked at the airbox on a BMW, it should show E1 (for Germany).
]
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 08:22 PM   #21
jerry
Old Git

My 2001 S4 is E3 compliant sadly its not in UK none of my other bikes are ,the 750's , except the 50 year old HD shovelhead exempt on classic grounds ,, mid u it runs ok on E10 ,, Chip fat and probably diesel
Old 24-10-2021, 09:10 PM   #22
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
My 2001 S4 is E3 compliant sadly its not in UK
If you're basing that on the sticker on the airbox, Jerry, see above, that's not actually anything to do with emissions standards, it's the country identification code of the manufacturer - E3 = Italy.

Euro 3 for bike's didn't come in until 2006, so your 2001 S4 will be Euro 1, which applied from 1999. Having said that, however, I'm sure your S4 will be compliant as I've read that a 1998 916 was tested at NOx of 0.09g/km, which is well within the limits. You'd just need to either get yours tested or produce a CoC.
Old 24-10-2021, 09:59 PM   #23
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I've just found they're actually listed in the Monster Bible. The first Euro 3 Monsters were the SR series from '04 with those ugly cow udder exhausts. The earlier IE bikes 750 up are Euro 1 the 620ie Euro 2. Couldn't find the S4 listed but would expect it will be 1.

I made the same assumptions based on the sticker too.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 05:20 AM   #24
PhilLew
600 dark

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawsue View Post
And what about “Weegies” going to the American Duc guy off Leith Rd for service...how will that work?
He's outside of the zone, so as long as you drive around it to get there you'll be fine.
Check the 'City of Edinburgh' website for the area covered and their 'check your vehicle' page to see if yours is affected or not. There's different ages and Euro compliance levels for Diesel/Petrol, Cars/Bikes etc.
PhilLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 05:37 AM   #25
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
Couldn't find the S4 listed but would expect it will be 1.
For what it's worth, a quick check on the Ducati Archive page confirms that the Monster S4 is indeed Euro 1 standard.

Old 25-10-2021, 11:05 AM   #26
slob

I've just had a chat with Ducati UK about this and initiated a request for a 'ULEZ declaration' via Italy, my understanding is this should be free from Ducati's point of view and should usually take two to three weeks to process. I will update this thread as soon as I've confirmed how this works and moved on to dealing with the dreaded TFL.
Old 25-10-2021, 05:19 PM   #27
crawsue
Bronze Member

Edinburgh roads commissar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilLew View Post
He's outside of the zone, so as long as you drive around it to get there you'll be fine.
Check the 'City of Edinburgh' website for the area covered and their 'check your vehicle' page to see if yours is affected or not. There's different ages and Euro compliance levels for Diesel/Petrol, Cars/Bikes etc.
Cheers,Phil, I’ll have to make up a route map....and avoid the dreaded 20 mph limits as well.... Crawf.
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 08:13 PM   #28
jerry
Old Git

No ,S4 2001 is a Japan model and its got E3 stamps all over it , Thai paperwork from transport dept and Import export papers from Japan also list it as E3
Old 25-10-2021, 08:28 PM   #29
slob

As per the earlier post ‘E3’ = Made in Italy, not ‘Euro 3’
Old 25-10-2021, 09:08 PM   #30
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
No ,S4 2001 is a Japan model and its got E3 stamps all over it , Thai paperwork from transport dept and Import export papers from Japan also list it as E3
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
As per the earlier post ‘E3’ = Made in Italy, not ‘Euro 3’
If your e3 labels look like this, Jerry, they are, as Rob said, country of origin marks - nothing to do with emissions at all.

Also, Japan's emission limits for 2001 would not have met the Euro 3 levels - Japan NOx 0.3 g/km vs Euro 3 NOx 0.15 g/km.

Having said that, the S4 would still probably pass the ULEZ criteria for NOx if you had it tested but it's all academic anyway as yours is in Thailand. All this might be useful for anyone else thinking of running an S4 in London though, I suppose.