UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Valve stem seals m900

Old 23-02-2022, 09:27 AM   #1
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Valve stem seals m900

Hey guys I'm looking at again replacing valve stem seals for the better versions that I saw in Buzzers thread. Seems made in Canada. Does anyone know of others available or a franchise supplier . Today I will be checking mine out on the head strip down just to see if failed after 400 miles. I very much doubt it but it's a cheaper option the new pistons and rings but not adverse to replace with better anyhow.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 10:02 AM   #2
Dukedesmo

The only ones I found were Av&V in Canada, excellent product, Viton with springs but not easy to do business with as only prepared to use extortionately priced postage.

However, unless your valve guides are badly worn (my exhaust valve guides were pretty sloppy at 15k miles) then I would suspect rings and/or bores.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 10:13 AM   #3
Dukedesmo

To add, despite the exhaust valve guides being worn I had no signs of oil burning (AV-V seals, sealing well?), no smoke, no rough running etc. it was only because I had the engine apart for a gearbox fault that I discovered the worn guides.

I did, a few years back have an oil burning/smoky engine problem that was down to worn bores but even then I had plenty of compression/power as it was only at the bottom of the bore where the Oil scraper ring was running - and eating into the Nikasil.

Old 23-02-2022, 11:06 AM   #4
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

I looked on the site but I'm presuming you have to email or call as l there was no shopping site. Any idea how much it worked out at please as a guide.
Old 23-02-2022, 12:41 PM   #5
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I looked on the site but I'm presuming you have to email or call as l there was no shopping site. Any idea how much it worked out at please as a guide.
I can't remember as it was some years back but it may have been similar cost to the seals themselves?

I do remember they offered 2 shipping services; 1 was obscenely expensive but quick, the other only extremely expensive but slow which is what I opted for.

IIRC the delivery time quoted was up to around 5 weeks which I thought would never happen as a normal airmail envelope arrives in a few days but I think it took pretty much the full time quoted (people row the Atlantic quicker!).

It didn't matter that much to me at the time as I was doing a complete bike build but something to consider.

I'm not sure why US/Canada suppliers are so difficult/expensive with regards to shipping outside their own country though? as, given the price advantage/bigger choice on many items, they could make a killing if they were only a bit more realistic with the shipping.

I have to say the parts appear to be of top quality though.

Old 23-02-2022, 01:20 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Have you tried Ducati Kaemna?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 05:41 PM   #7
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Hi Albie

If you replaced them when you did the resto then it’s unlikely they’ve failed unless the valve guides are worn, might be worth checking before buying new seals.

I think I mentioned on Farcebook, when my 900 was smoking on the over run I found tired valve stem seals and worn oil scraper rings (the rest were fine) but also found the bores glazed. Honing on the bores was in great condition (around 24k miles) so a good deglaze with scotchbrite sorted it

Ped
Old 23-02-2022, 05:58 PM   #8
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Hi Albie

If you replaced them when you did the resto then it’s unlikely they’ve failed unless the valve guides are worn, might be worth checking before buying new seals.

I think I mentioned on Farcebook, when my 900 was smoking on the over run I found tired valve stem seals and worn oil scraper rings (the rest were fine) but also found the bores glazed. Honing on the bores was in great condition (around 24k miles) so a good deglaze with scotchbrite sorted it

Ped
They look fine as expected which does not help. As stated they were fresh from moto Rapido and fitted by Alec . They rings were taken off today and no damage and I measured the gaps in the bore. I have an A and a B barrel and same with piston denoting bore size tolerance. What I find frustrating is the spec for ring gap on the 900 is 0.20mm to 0.40mm but the service limit is set to 0.80mm. Mine are measuring 0.70mm on the 2 top rings of which the first is the L section. Alec says it's ok but something is still wrong here. Still going to check everything and investigate new pistons and rings but with A and B pistons and barrels I need to make sure sizing is the same. I am going to double check valve seats and lapping again too.
Old 29-03-2022, 12:03 PM   #9
PPuxley

This may all be sorted. I had a Canadian mate order the seals from AV&V . $10 P&P to him and then another $10 P&P from him to me as a "gift" . The whole thing took 15 days from order to delivery to me and that included him being away canoing for 5 days!!!

I expect I could prevail on him again.