UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » 600 carb monster very high tickover when hot

Old 15-03-2022, 07:00 AM   #1
m600jim

Bike: M600
600 carb monster very high tickover when hot

My 1997 600 monster runs nicely but after an hour or so once it's nice and hot the tickover seems very high (much higher than when cold, I'm guessing about 2000 rpm). If I drag the clutch slightly using no throttle when at a standstill the tickover drops due to the load on the engine but then got back up again - so I think it's probably not sticking carb sliders. Any other hints on where to start looking.
Does not seem to be affected by handlebar position so I don't think it's a cable problem...

I doubt the carb has been cleaned since it was new so may be blocked jets etc but I'm hoping for something simple!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Cheers

James
m600jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 07:44 AM   #2
Nasher

Bike: M900
I'd be making sure the cables are adjusted properly first to ensure the throttles are shutting fully.
Is there any slack at the twist grip?

It could also just be a tweek of the idle adjustment screws needed under the carbs.
Old 22-03-2022, 09:11 PM   #3
Doggy

Bike: M796
My 600ss has a higher tickover when hot, about 1500/1600 compared to cold . Although 20000 does seem a bit excessive . Not been an issue for me really over the last couple of years . I'd rather it was slightly too high than too low . My superlight's tickover seems too low and always feels like it's going to stall when i pull up .
Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
600, carb, tickover