UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Rose joints from McGill?

Old 19-10-2020, 06:02 PM   #1
enbee23

Bike: S4r
Rose joints from McGill?

The rose joints in my rear suspension hoop are creaking and I want to replace with new. Going to do the gear linkage joints too while I'm at it.

McGill Motorsports seems to be the supplier of choice but does anybody have specific part numbers for the joints needed? They offer several grades... And also a choice of thread pitch in some grades.

The bike is a 1995 M900, just in case there are any year-specific anomalies that I don't know about.

Thank you
enbee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 06:21 PM   #2
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...t.php?p=504420
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #3
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
You might find that a little lube in the rose joint will stop the squeak. If you have the originals I think you might find a little lube point on one side, but not quite sure how you would use it.
A spray oil of some sort should work well on metal joints I use silicon spray or Mr Sheen on mine as they are the posh Chrome moly ones. Even those squeak sometimes and to be fair I'm never really sure if it's the rose joints or one of the top pivots?.. It comes and goes.

Unfortunately the link in the link that Slob posted no longer works!

It's the more expensive chromemoly/kevlar ones you want.
M10 x 1.5
https://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/m10...ce-rod-end-93/

You may find that you need to shorten the threaded part a little if it won't go in as far as the original.. Measure the original position before removing to make sure you retain the steering geometry. You could also get a couple of stainless M10 x 1.5 half nuts to tidy it up?

Finally make sure you don't lose the tubular adapter insert inside the original rose joints as you will need to re-use those and they are tricky to come by.
Old 19-10-2020, 11:30 PM   #4
enbee23

Thank you gents, exactly what I was after. I did a lot of reading on here but obviously not in the right places.

I have tried to grease the original joints but they're no less noisy and graunchy. Time for new.
Old 20-10-2020, 09:08 AM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

You're welcome enbee.
I've updated the post Slob linked to, with up to date links and more info.

As well as the Chromemoly/kevlar ones you could also consider the Teflon lined ones.
Others has used these with success.

http://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/male...rmance-series/
Old 20-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #6
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Slightly O/T but I have the height-adjustable (race?) rear linkage on my bike, on which the hoop has M10 x 1.0mm threads for the rose joints and whilst mine are OK they are starting to look a bit shabby and I'd like to source some replacements.

Unfortunately McGill don't have them in the 1mm, fine pitch so does anyone know where I can get (reasonably priced) replacements?

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 10:41 AM   #7
Dennis menace

Bike: Other Ducati
I used McGill rose joints and they are good. I found the old tubular inserts in the old hoop joints very difficult to remove but you need them and intact! It was only rust holding them in but it took some shifting. On one side I had to sacrifice the bolt and cut it off and get a replacement.
Dennis menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 12:30 PM   #8
enbee23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
You're welcome enbee.
I've updated the post Slob linked to, with up to date links and more info.

As well as the Chromemoly/kevlar ones you could also consider the Teflon lined ones.
Others has used these with success.

http://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/male...rmance-series/

I must admit, I was looking at http://<br /> http://www.mcgillmoto...rod-end-24927/ and wondering if I could justify spending twice as much as the ones you originally linked to One marginal benefit could be that the shank appears to be a couple of mm shorter.
Old 20-10-2020, 12:34 PM   #9
enbee23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis menace View Post
I used McGill rose joints and they are good. I found the old tubular inserts in the old hoop joints very difficult to remove but you need them and intact! It was only rust holding them in but it took some shifting. On one side I had to sacrifice the bolt and cut it off and get a replacement.

Stein Dense (and others, no doubt) sell the inserts for €9.09 and the special shouldered bolts for €17.09. Not the cheapest if you want to keep it all original.
Old 20-10-2020, 01:11 PM   #10
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by enbee23 View Post
I must admit, I was looking at http://<br /> http://www.mcgillmoto...rod-end-24927/ and wondering if I could justify spending twice as much as the ones you originally linked to One marginal benefit could be that the shank appears to be a couple of mm shorter.
Unfortunately I can't see the items that you are linking to as the link doesn't work for me. All I can do is recommend from my own experience.
I always tend to buy the best parts I can afford at the time and the reward is usually a much longer service life,
I bought some "ordinary" ends from a local bearing supplier for my brake rod and was very disappointed with the short life of them. The McGill chromoly ones are still going strong, as are the ones on the hoop... I'll probably try Teflon lined ones next time, when that eventually comes.
Old 20-10-2020, 03:12 PM   #11
enbee23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Unfortunately I can't see the items that you are linking to as the link doesn't work for me. All I can do is recommend from my own experience.
I always tend to buy the best parts I can afford at the time and the reward is usually a much longer service life,
I bought some "ordinary" ends from a local bearing supplier for my brake rod and was very disappointed with the short life of them. The McGill chromoly ones are still going strong, as are the ones on the hoop... I'll probably try Teflon lined ones next time, when that eventually comes.
I'm definitely with you on the buying best you can afford thing. Sometimes a bit more than I can afford! The part I tried to link to was the M10 rod end in McGill's "AG" range at around £22. I don't know what, if any, real world difference there would be between those and the "XM" version.
Old 20-10-2020, 03:18 PM   #12
Darkness

A previous owner/butcher had an interesting way of taking the slack out of the old ones!

Old 20-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #13
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
how long did it take you to find a paper with ‘change now’ on it, or was it coincidence?
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 04:10 PM   #14
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
how long did it take you to find a paper with ‘change now’ on it, or was it coincidence?
It was coincidence that that had been the cover article on New Civil Engineer a week or so before, but it did seem apposite.
Old 21-10-2020, 06:28 PM   #15
enbee23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
A previous owner/butcher had an interesting way of taking the slack out of the old ones!

That's high-level bodging! And the paper is perfect.