UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Monster 1100s cold start problem

Old 25-07-2021, 01:15 PM   #1
stinger

Bike: M1100s
Monster 1100s cold start problem

Hi chaps
My monster is difficult to start from cold. It fires straight away then stops. On the third or fourth attempt it keeps running but only just. It’s absolutely fine from warm. I’m running the standard ecu with a rexxer map, termis, and bigger air box top. It’s always on an optimate when not in use and no error codes.
Any ideas .
stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2021, 08:58 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
That's frustrating, stinger. You say you have a Rexxer flash on your ECU - did the starting problems coincide with the reflash?

I'd have thought if you had a problem with one of your sensors you'd get a fault code but you say there are none. But I wonder if the ECU is getting a false temperature reading when you try to start it. With my Rexxer flash, I got the ability to see the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor reading on the dash - do you have that too? If so, the temperature reading you see before a cold start should be close to the ambient air temperature. If the reading differs considerably from ambient, it may indicate a problem with the IAT sensor. (The sensor is no. 6 on the diagram.)

You could try disconnecting the battery overnight to purge the ECU. Be aware that it may initially actually run rougher after this until the ECU relearns all the autoadaptive parameters, (perhaps a couple-of-hundred miles).

A hot TPS reset might be worth a try too. If you've not seen this before, it involves starting the bike from cold and allowing it to run without touching the throttle until it shows three bars on the temperature gauge, then turn the motor off. (That should have been done after refitting the reflashed ECU.)

For cold starting, the 1100 employs a stepper motor, (no. 14 on the diagram). The effect of the stepper motor is the same as opening the throttle so you could try a cold start with just a hint of throttle and see if that improves things. If it does, it may suggest a problem with the stepper motor itself.

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 03:18 PM   #3
stinger

Bike: M1100s
Thanks Luddite, I’ll do some checking at the weekend.
stinger is offline   Reply With Quote